Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #1

Best method for selling?

Ok...I'm getting close to putting the RV up for sale, just a few more things to take care of.
Here's my question, and I understand I'm asking for opinions, meaning there's no "right" answer, just looking for additional info and experiences of fellow RVers.

Our unit is a Pace Arrow 36D, 2005. It's been a great coach, and we've done a LOT of trips with it, along with winter camping in New England for 4 seasons.

We are now down in Fl, on the Gulf Coast. There are a LOT of RV dealers down here. A LOT I've been through a service disaster with CW...and have read some pretty horrific reviews of Lazy Days, but mostly around service.

I want to list the coach below what the NADA guide says it's worth, and below what I see my coach listed for in the state of FL. Considering it's got a new roof with a transferable lifetime warranty, I think it will be a great deal for someone looking for a used coach.

BUT...do I sign it over to a place like Lazy on consignment?...list it in RVTrader?

I see that on the RVTrader website, there are dealers listed as RVTrader dealers, and Lazy Dayz is one of them. What does that mean? Has anyone gone the consignment route? I've heard the commission is roughtly 5-10%, depending on the dealer...is that accurate?

Based on what I've read, I wouldn't let Lazy touch my coach for service, but they are a HUGE dealer, and they claim they sell more RVs than any dealer in the country, so seems like that would be huge exposure.

So what say you folks?

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #2

Jim...unless there is an overwhelming demand for 05 Pace Arrows in Florida I would suggest that on a private sale you list it at or just below low NADA and be prepared to drop another 10% to close the deal. You will make the most $$ this way, but you will have to "work" for it and compete with Dealers who can attract literally hundreds of feet & traffic to their lot. They are professionals at this game and can offer warranties, financing, accessories, service.

If you consign you will probably get wholesale NADA ...,which is about 25-30% below low retail. However, if you pick the correct Dealer, all you have to do is cash the cheque and you should have your $$$ in 30-60days or (1) the price is still too high (2) the MH has too many defects to support the price (3) you or the Dealer need to do some major clean-up and detailing ....OR....you picked the wrong Dealer!

The consignment Dealer needs to be straight with you and... "demand" that you remove all your personal "stuff".... Demand that either you or you pay to have the MH cleaned, waxed, detailed & shined....demand that you fix all deficiencies and upgrade tires, batteries, etc. If the MH does not sparkle, show well or needs $$ to make it right it will just "sit" on the lot while others sell!

Good luck.

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #3

Why sell in Fl?

Lust in cl where you are from as folks there may be interested and less competetion.

Also check with a couple banks to see how hard it is to finance.

Speak directly to their loan folks and get their cards as financing is the hard part.

Having that started may make a difference as you can just tell them to call frank at the bank and get started.

Take out personnal stuff but leave in camping stuff thst yiu will not need.

Advertise it as road ready so someone from where you are from can fly in and drive it home.

Just my tidbits
Old 04-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #4

Craigslist is where I'd sell it. Miles and condition are the 2 biggest factors on where to price it.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LOBSTAH,

I hope I'm assuming that you're not buying another rv? If so then I think you should sell it yourself. You have the most interest in this coach right now. I would hesitate turning it over to a dealer for lots of tire kickers to tromp through it. I'm the one who knows my coach the best...its service record, what's been added, etc. The dealer won't care...he's never camped in it and can't point out anything special about it for a prospective customer. Just my 2 cents, good luck whatever you decide- the Pace Arrow was Fleetwood's finest gas coach.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I HATE Craigslist! I listed my previous MH in it and got more email with scantily clad women asking for dates than I even got from "brokers".

Regardless of how you do it, the biggest trick is properly valuing it from a buyer's standpoint. Go look at all the RV sales site and see how some folks will list their MH well above the average and/or median price.

If holding on to your coach doesn't cost you anything you can afford to be more patient. However, if you are paying on a loan, storage or any property taxes then you have to factor how much you are loosing every month.

Consider those along with the other factors of how/where to sell it.

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #7

We took our motorhome to PPL Consignment in Houston. We named the price, not PPL. The buyer flew in from Florida and it was gone in a month. Very easy.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you want to get your value for your RV, be sure to list all the improvements and accessories you added to the suspension, engine, exhaust system, roof, etc.
This makes a difference to a buyer.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Allow me to turn your question "upside down" for a second.

Where would I look to buy a used RV? I would go here.

I think that I would get a better deal from the owner direct, as opposed to selling through consignment. I would also much prefer to get the "sales talk" from the owner than an RV dealership, and I must be able to get a better price directly. I believe that consignment costs around 15-20%.

I have just been to visit PPL in Houston. There was no sales rep walking 2 steps behind me all the way, and that was nice, but there was also no one there to ensure that the Rv's on sale was looking their best at all times. Some of them did not look well maintained, and I am sure they could have, if someone was there with a brush and a broom every now and again.

Good luck selling you RV

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Lobstah,
Give PPL a try. They sell only pre-Owned coaches. And they sell a lot of them.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:43 AM   #11

Thanks for the advice.
One of the reasons I'm leaning towards consignment is that I don't have to take time to show the coach to all of the tire kickers, and I also believe that people generally have a tendency to buy from a dealer.
I've thought about PPL...have to see how much of a trip from here that is.

Jim
Old 04-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
Ok...I'm getting close to putting the RV up for sale, just a few more things to take care of.
Here's my question, and I understand I'm asking for opinions, meaning there's no "right" answer, just looking for additional info and experiences of fellow RVers.

Our unit is a Pace Arrow 36D, 2005. It's been a great coach, and we've done a LOT of trips with it, along with winter camping in New England for 4 seasons.

We are now down in Fl, on the Gulf Coast. There are a LOT of RV dealers down here. A LOT I've been through a service disaster with CW...and have read some pretty horrific reviews of Lazy Days, but mostly around service.

I want to list the coach below what the NADA guide says it's worth, and below what I see my coach listed for in the state of FL. Considering it's got a new roof with a transferable lifetime warranty, I think it will be a great deal for someone looking for a used coach.

BUT...do I sign it over to a place like Lazy on consignment?...list it in RVTrader?

I see that on the RVTrader website, there are dealers listed as RVTrader dealers, and Lazy Dayz is one of them. What does that mean? Has anyone gone the consignment route? I've heard the commission is roughtly 5-10%, depending on the dealer...is that accurate?

Based on what I've read, I wouldn't let Lazy touch my coach for service, but they are a HUGE dealer, and they claim they sell more RVs than any dealer in the country, so seems like that would be huge exposure.

So what say you folks?

Jim

Oh trust me they only go by NADA. They could care less what you have added. And it's almost impossible to sell a RV. Unless people have cash banks and other lending institutions don't like to make loans on used rigs. So your only alternative is to play the numbers game on who is giving you the best deal and the most for your money. The same is happening with used cars by owners. Pretty soon nobody will be able to sell anything because banks won't lend on it unless it's through a dealer.

Good luck in selling. Don't put too much money into them because you won't get it back. Just traded in a toy hauler 5er for a Forest River 5er. We had added so much stuff and it mattered not.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:04 AM   #13
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm in Ohio - When we were looking to buy, We put FL on our list because of the abundance of good quality, low mileage MH in FL, Its a buyers market in FL.

If you turn it over to a consignment, make sure they know what your expectations are as far as cleaning and representing you MH. You will pay them for this service.

If you decide to do it yourself, this is what I looked for.

Clean, inside and out, nice presentation, Good photos, (no sinks full of dishes, no kids sleeping on beds. I would recommend a modest "staging". Look at dealer photos, thats what I'm looking for.

Price it at NADA, To low of price can scare people off - You can always lower the price when negotiating: "$xx,xxx, negotiable", but I have never heard of anyone raising the price during negotiating.

Make sure you specify good and bad, i.e. new roof, no water damage, new tires (give year codes)

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:10 AM   #14

ebay can be another way to sell a coach; at least when we sold our last one, they had free "local" listings; I wouldn't rely only on that, but as one of many ways of getting the ad out there.

Steve