RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #1

Best Roadside Service Options

I recently joined AAA and they have an RV roadside assistance option for only $5.00. Has anyone used this AAA service? If so, would you recommend it?

dcegala is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've never had AAA but I wonder if they cover towing a 40-45' motorhome to the nearest qualified service facility??

I have been using Good Sam Roadside Assistance since 2001 but will be changing to FMCA on the next renewal date.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:31 PM   #3

They should know what it's worth. 😁😁😁

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:10 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think most are about the same, and use the same providers.

Not sure about AAA, but our Good Sam just ran out and will be swapping to Coachnet before our next trip. Reason for switching, sign up deal. Lower $$$$
Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcegala View Post
I recently joined AAA and they have an RV roadside assistance option for only $5.00. Has anyone used this AAA service? If so, would you recommend it?
I’ve used my AAA Plus-RV insurance and am generally happy with it.
If you tow with your RV and have a breakdown and need to be towed, the AAA Plus-RV will get your RV and trailer up to 300 miles (per my recollection) for repairs. If you’re towing a trailer with your RV and don’t have the Plus-RV package, your RV will get towed but the trailer will be left by the side of the road..

Also - not necessarily AAA centric - Roadside Assistance will come out to change a flat tire, but you will need to have a spare tire and possibly wheel. As one fellow in our RV Park found out last year when he lost one of his tires just north of Phoenix - Good Sam RA found him a used steel wheel and new tire and had him back on the road again in about 6 hours. The 19.5” wheel and tire cost him over $1,000.. You’re at their mercy. Consider carrying your own spare...
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I've never had AAA but I wonder if they cover towing a 40-45' motorhome to the nearest qualified service facility?.
To the service facility or address of your choice Up to 300 miles is what we were told. We had a 40’ DP when we bought the coverage from them and have had it ever since (1995 till now)..
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This has been a huge discussion for eons on the forum. Everyone has their opinions and experience's with all of them.

You can do a search of all of the forums in the little box in the upper right of the web page. This will give you lots of ammo to make a decision.

I know some will not offer roadside to any trailer. Just motorhomes.

Happy trails!
egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I cannot imagine that you would get any useful RV roadside coverage for $5. Certainly not the RV Plus package.

AAA is divided into regional clubs and coverage varies in each. In my AA region (Southeast US), they offer two plans, Plus and Premier. The towing is:

Quote:

Towing: Four tows up to 100 miles for Plus RV members; One tow up to 200 miles of towing and any remaining qualified tows up to 100 miles for Premier RV members.
Costs also vary by triple-A region. AAA South, for instance, charges $66 a year for Classic membership, $100 a year for Plus, and $126 for Premier. Those prices are a few years old now, so don't quote them as gospel truth.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
AAA Roadside Service is very good

I believe that there is some misunderstanding, where the $5.00 is concerned, dcegala......Or are you just trying to be a comedian..
To begin with, you don't get anything for $5.00, certainly not roadside service for a recreational vehicle.
First of all, you need to be a AAA Plus member, before you can even buy the add-on RV service policy. Which is nowhere near $5.00.....
Different states have different rates, and I have been a member since 2001, AAA is always fair, and give you a lot for your money, but nothing in this world is FREE......and I call $5.00, free......
zonie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #10

AAA Roadside service

Spoke to AAA just the other day. In order to get RV roadside if you only have their classic membership you have to upgrade first to plus or premier and then add another $50 on top of that. So for me that would equate with the plus and RV to @ $175/yr total. One thing is I see in what they cover is that they will change out your spare and not bring one out to you. Not sure where the $5 mark came from stated in the OP.
JCnDTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #11

This is discussed frequerntly. There are only 2 services that will tow a large unit. If you have a 42 ft. or larger MH it should never be towed. Yoiu want a Landall. AAA does not offer that service. Coach Net and GS do. Towing a large unit can damage the body or worse yet bend the frame. AAA RV service is not available in every state. AAA often sends out a 1 ton truck. Then he has to call for something larger. Most of the day will be spent waiting. I have heard that some of the insurance provided towing service do have access to big trucks and landalls.

2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service