Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
I have never heard of Blue Sky. (but they have never heard of me either)
I had State Farm for over 30 years on the house and cars. But, since they didn't want to insure houses in Florida anymore, I took my auto insurance to USAA and they are one of the 2 top rated insurance companies.
But, they do not insure RV's. They refer folks to Progressive. I will have to check them out.
USAA insures both RVs and boats, just not high dollar models. They insured my 5th wheel but not the MH.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
When we decided to go full-time we looked into Gieco, Progressive, USAA and a couple of others. Most were not able to meet the special needs of insuring a full-time RV, quoted ridiculously high premiums or just weren't interested. We finally settled on Blue Sky who was able to give us the coverage we needed at a reasonable price. They were able to cover us in every way we could possibly think of.

Our Blue Sky agent wasn't able to do so well on our Jeep though. That is insured through USAA.

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
When we decided to go full-time we looked into Gieco, Progressive, USAA and a couple of others. Most were not able to meet the special needs of insuring a full-time RV, quoted ridiculously high premiums or just weren't interested. We finally settled on Blue Sky who was able to give us the coverage we needed at a reasonable price. They were able to cover us in every way we could possibly think of.

Our Blue Sky agent wasn't able to do so well on our Jeep though. That is insured through USAA.
What were some of the special needs they were able to cover?

We don't full time yet but considering it soon. SOunds like I should be asking more questions when talking to insurance companies.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
What were some of the special needs they were able to cover?

We don't full time yet but considering it soon. SOunds like I should be asking more questions when talking to insurance companies.
Hi Dennis,

We did a lot of research and even then we're not entirely sure we have it right. There is an awful lot to consider when you decide to make the move to full time.

Your home owners coverage or tenants insurance takes care of a lot of your insurance needs and extends to some of the needs of your RV. Once you go full-time that coverage no longer exists and has to be replaced. That includes personal property replacement and property (campsite) liabilty.

My personal feeling, and that of others I have spoken to, is that when some folks see a large RV they think the owner is loaded with cash and will try to capitalize on that if there is any type of liability claim. You also have to take into account that the large the vehicle the more damage it is capable of. That being the case, we carry high liability limits.

Here's a great post on the Escapee's forum about the special needs of full-timer insurance. FULL-TIMER INSURANCE COVERAGE - Escapees Discussion Forum

At this point I'm feeling pretty comfortable that if someone walks through my campsite, trips over my water hose, bounces off the pedestal, puts a dent in one of my compartments when they fall and hit their head, steals my expensive grill to get even and then I sideswipe the park managers car on the way out... I'm covered!
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #19

I dumped AmFam after they raised the coverage on my house by $60,000 and my home owner rate went up 48%.($238) I went with Allstate and can turn off my liability coverage during the off season.
Allstate saved me over $1000/year with the same coverage.

The accident forgiveness program is just a gimmick. You pay more for it and they give it back to you if you don't have an accident. Sorry, but I'll just keep it, instead of letting Allstate draw interest on my money.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
GEICO: $100.00/month Motorhome full coverage
Attached Images

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #21

I know it depends on the MH, but I'm paying ~$70/month with Allstate.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #22

Have been with progressive 4 yrs and have an awning claim. Very satisfied, extensive check and by far least expensive. Have geico for 30 plus yrs and they couldn't match progressive. Their claim svs was easy and painless and they offer a vanishing deductible for no claims. Got that first 3 yrs
Old 10-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #23

The comments about Progressive being less expensive are interesting because I just dropped them after being a customer for many years because an RV quote from GMAC was so significantly less expensive (by about 25%), and same for my autos so I moved everything. This is in Texas.

BTW insurance rates vary tremendously from state-to-state and a company that is cheaper in one state may well be more expensive in another. In any discussion of insurance rates you should also indicate what state you live in.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have CWI, Just got a quote from GMAC with my FMCA group rate ant it was 3XXX the price I am paying now for the same coverage.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Hi Dennis,

We did a lot of research and even then we're not entirely sure we have it right. There is an awful lot to consider when you decide to make the move to full time.

Your home owners coverage or tenants insurance takes care of a lot of your insurance needs and extends to some of the needs of your RV. Once you go full-time that coverage no longer exists and has to be replaced. That includes personal property replacement and property (campsite) liabilty.

My personal feeling, and that of others I have spoken to, is that when some folks see a large RV they think the owner is loaded with cash and will try to capitalize on that if there is any type of liability claim. You also have to take into account that the large the vehicle the more damage it is capable of. That being the case, we carry high liability limits.

Here's a great post on the Escapee's forum about the special needs of full-timer insurance. FULL-TIMER INSURANCE COVERAGE - Escapees Discussion Forum

At this point I'm feeling pretty comfortable that if someone walks through my campsite, trips over my water hose, bounces off the pedestal, puts a dent in one of my compartments when they fall and hit their head, steals my expensive grill to get even and then I sideswipe the park managers car on the way out... I'm covered!
Thanks for the explanation. I will definitely use this information when I shop insurance prior to going full time.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
I wish someone had told me this before I got Progressive. Check their chairman, Peter Lewis, prior to purchasing. Had I done that, I would not be looking for another company.
Me too. I had Progressive for years before I found out about Peter. Now have GMAC thru FMCA at an excellent rate. They were very good on a windshield repair I just had done.
Richard
Old 10-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
Would like to spend some time in Denali, maybe driving one of the shuttles around. I'm a retired commercial trucker as are many RVers. Appreciate your enthusiasam. Anything you like to tell me act AK is Welcome.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #28

Gmac gave me the best price, after major shopping around. Even if it was more, would pay it, rather than give my money money to progressive and George Soros!

Tags
insurance