Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
I have never heard of Blue Sky. (but they have never heard of me either)
I had State Farm for over 30 years on the house and cars. But, since they didn't want to insure houses in Florida anymore, I took my auto insurance to USAA and they are one of the 2 top rated insurance companies.
But, they do not insure RV's. They refer folks to Progressive. I will have to check them out.
USAA insures both RVs and boats, just not high dollar models. They insured my 5th wheel but not the MH.
__________________

__________________
2008 AC Allegiance 42G, Spartan, ISL
hooverbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Craig_R's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Huson, MT
Posts: 1,043
When we decided to go full-time we looked into Gieco, Progressive, USAA and a couple of others. Most were not able to meet the special needs of insuring a full-time RV, quoted ridiculously high premiums or just weren't interested. We finally settled on Blue Sky who was able to give us the coverage we needed at a reasonable price. They were able to cover us in every way we could possibly think of.

Our Blue Sky agent wasn't able to do so well on our Jeep though. That is insured through USAA.
__________________

__________________
Craig & Donna
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV (aka The Hotel Monterey)
2011 Jeep Liberty Limited
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
sdennislee's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
When we decided to go full-time we looked into Gieco, Progressive, USAA and a couple of others. Most were not able to meet the special needs of insuring a full-time RV, quoted ridiculously high premiums or just weren't interested. We finally settled on Blue Sky who was able to give us the coverage we needed at a reasonable price. They were able to cover us in every way we could possibly think of.

Our Blue Sky agent wasn't able to do so well on our Jeep though. That is insured through USAA.
What were some of the special needs they were able to cover?

We don't full time yet but considering it soon. SOunds like I should be asking more questions when talking to insurance companies.
__________________
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Craig_R's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Huson, MT
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
What were some of the special needs they were able to cover?

We don't full time yet but considering it soon. SOunds like I should be asking more questions when talking to insurance companies.
Hi Dennis,

We did a lot of research and even then we're not entirely sure we have it right. There is an awful lot to consider when you decide to make the move to full time.

Your home owners coverage or tenants insurance takes care of a lot of your insurance needs and extends to some of the needs of your RV. Once you go full-time that coverage no longer exists and has to be replaced. That includes personal property replacement and property (campsite) liabilty.

My personal feeling, and that of others I have spoken to, is that when some folks see a large RV they think the owner is loaded with cash and will try to capitalize on that if there is any type of liability claim. You also have to take into account that the large the vehicle the more damage it is capable of. That being the case, we carry high liability limits.

Here's a great post on the Escapee's forum about the special needs of full-timer insurance. FULL-TIMER INSURANCE COVERAGE - Escapees Discussion Forum

At this point I'm feeling pretty comfortable that if someone walks through my campsite, trips over my water hose, bounces off the pedestal, puts a dent in one of my compartments when they fall and hit their head, steals my expensive grill to get even and then I sideswipe the park managers car on the way out... I'm covered!
__________________
Craig & Donna
2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV (aka The Hotel Monterey)
2011 Jeep Liberty Limited
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Dunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phx, Arid~zona
Posts: 11,106
I dumped AmFam after they raised the coverage on my house by $60,000 and my home owner rate went up 48%.($238) I went with Allstate and can turn off my liability coverage during the off season.
Allstate saved me over $1000/year with the same coverage.

The accident forgiveness program is just a gimmick. You pay more for it and they give it back to you if you don't have an accident. Sorry, but I'll just keep it, instead of letting Allstate draw interest on my money.
__________________
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Always-RVing's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 959
GEICO: $100.00/month Motorhome full coverage
Attached Images
 
__________________
Fleetwood Providence 2008 40e
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel 6.0L 2006
Honda CR-V 2006
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Dunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phx, Arid~zona
Posts: 11,106
I know it depends on the MH, but I'm paying ~$70/month with Allstate.
__________________
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 15
Have been with progressive 4 yrs and have an awning claim. Very satisfied, extensive check and by far least expensive. Have geico for 30 plus yrs and they couldn't match progressive. Their claim svs was easy and painless and they offer a vanishing deductible for no claims. Got that first 3 yrs
__________________
Joels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
smiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,679
The comments about Progressive being less expensive are interesting because I just dropped them after being a customer for many years because an RV quote from GMAC was so significantly less expensive (by about 25%), and same for my autos so I moved everything. This is in Texas.

BTW insurance rates vary tremendously from state-to-state and a company that is cheaper in one state may well be more expensive in another. In any discussion of insurance rates you should also indicate what state you live in.
__________________
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #24
Member
 
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 86
We have CWI, Just got a quote from GMAC with my FMCA group rate ant it was 3XXX the price I am paying now for the same coverage.
__________________
bldr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
sdennislee's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Hi Dennis,

We did a lot of research and even then we're not entirely sure we have it right. There is an awful lot to consider when you decide to make the move to full time.

Your home owners coverage or tenants insurance takes care of a lot of your insurance needs and extends to some of the needs of your RV. Once you go full-time that coverage no longer exists and has to be replaced. That includes personal property replacement and property (campsite) liabilty.

My personal feeling, and that of others I have spoken to, is that when some folks see a large RV they think the owner is loaded with cash and will try to capitalize on that if there is any type of liability claim. You also have to take into account that the large the vehicle the more damage it is capable of. That being the case, we carry high liability limits.

Here's a great post on the Escapee's forum about the special needs of full-timer insurance. FULL-TIMER INSURANCE COVERAGE - Escapees Discussion Forum

At this point I'm feeling pretty comfortable that if someone walks through my campsite, trips over my water hose, bounces off the pedestal, puts a dent in one of my compartments when they fall and hit their head, steals my expensive grill to get even and then I sideswipe the park managers car on the way out... I'm covered!
Thanks for the explanation. I will definitely use this information when I shop insurance prior to going full time.
__________________
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
rvarner's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pahrump, NV
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
I wish someone had told me this before I got Progressive. Check their chairman, Peter Lewis, prior to purchasing. Had I done that, I would not be looking for another company.
Me too. I had Progressive for years before I found out about Peter. Now have GMAC thru FMCA at an excellent rate. They were very good on a windshield repair I just had done.
Richard
__________________
2004 Horizon 40AD/ISC 350/2012 SILVERADO or 2008 Chevy HHR/Demco/Vmspc/FMCA-F394912/SKP-115085/2004 Can-Am Outlander/2013 Polaris RZR
rvarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chimacum Wa.
Posts: 14
Would like to spend some time in Denali, maybe driving one of the shuttles around. I'm a retired commercial trucker as are many RVers. Appreciate your enthusiasam. Anything you like to tell me act AK is Welcome.
__________________
judyandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Grandpadave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 162
Gmac gave me the best price, after major shopping around. Even if it was more, would pay it, rather than give my money money to progressive and George Soros!
__________________

__________________
Grandpadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
insurance



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Progressive RV Insurance - Beware AZ Gypsy Class A Motorhome Discussions 253 12-12-2016 08:33 AM
Over priced RV Insurance Mozart Just Conversation 1 11-08-2010 10:15 AM
Insurance price increase danes-on-tour iRV2.com General Discussion 68 08-19-2010 11:02 AM
Under-Licenced - Overweight - No Insurance!! Stan Birch Canada Region 14 08-30-2005 04:46 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.