RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2019, 08:10 AM   #1

Best RV mattress

The mattress that came with my motorhone has become even more uncomfortable so we are looking to replace it. We are thinking about the newer memory foam type but open to suggestions from the iRV2 forum. Please advise what you would or could not buy again. Many thanks.

Tdye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #2

What size? King? Residential Queen? RV Queen?

Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have had a Sleep Number in our two m/h since 2004. They are great.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #4

We replaced ours with The Matress In A Box. World of difference. Much more comfy and sleep much better. But, what is comfy for me may be horrible to someone else.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #5

Just measured 74x60x11. Think that is a RV Queen?
Tdye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdye2 View Post
Just measured 74x60x11. Think that is a RV Queen?
Look at mattress insider. www.mattressinsider.com they have a great mattress and will size you accordingly. If you want rounded corners they will accommodate. Had our rv queen for 2 years really happy
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
We replaced ours with The Matress In A Box. World of difference. Much more comfy and sleep much better. But, what is comfy for me may be horrible to someone else.

To the OP. Take note of the last sentence in the above post. Not all mattresses are comfy for all people. A lot depends on your weight and the mattresses ild rating. Ex: I weigh 137. I need a generally softer, lower ild rated mattress because my body doesnít compress the foam very much. Someone weighing 225 would bottom out a mattress that I may feel comfortable on.

Other observations:

Tempur Pedic: Sure, if you want to sleep in a hole and sweat all night.

Sleep Number: Worst night I have ever had.

Memory Foam: Too soft.

Latex: I tend to like.

Gel: nice and cool, for a while. Then is holds the heat.

For every negative observation i listed, others will rave about their same mattress. I can only recommend checking out a mattress store or furniture store. No, you donít need to spend thousands to get a good mattress. If you do buy online, make sure you can return it without having to pack it in the original carton. Last thought. If you are not full timers and only sleep in your RV a few nights a year, it might not matter as much about your selection.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:26 AM   #8

We love our Sleep Number.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:16 AM   #9

Mattress comfort is without a doubt a very personal issue and one person's absolute dream mattress is quite possibly another person's worst night of sleep. Our solution, rather than spending a lot of $ on an expensive mattress was to use a topper. We bought a topper on a trip to Myrtle Beach SC once because the bed in our condo was so hard it was like sleeping in a parking lot. Rather than getting up every day for a couple weeks feeling like we slept on concrete, we bought a good quality topper and what a difference! Upon arriving home, we even put it on our bed which is a high quality latex but the topper was even better. The king size topper was several hundred dollars but well worth it and will be the way we go when we pick up our fifth wheel.
shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #10

We have a Tempur-pedic mattress at home. After some research of different companies we purchased a foam mattress from Mattress Insider. It has been comfortable in the 30 days we used it last year and much better than the original mattress. Foam mattresses come "condensed" and are easy to get into your rig and onto the bed.
leesimonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I added a topper to my horrible RV mattress and it's wonderful.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:04 PM   #12

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22b...y=8&gws_rd=ssl
Old 01-23-2019, 10:14 PM   #13

We bought our residential queen from Mattressinsider and are very happy with our choice.
Ragtop69GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:14 AM   #14

The use of "RV mattress" is something I hate. If it's not a standard size then I'll figure a way to modify the base to be standard or I won't buy it. With a RV queen you are likely screwed out of getting a real queen. RV king is usually easy to modify. Why my dislike?? Because most RV mattress are junk and if you have one of the RV sizes you will have trouble getting good sheets that are affordable or a replacement mattress. Our motorhome apparently started it's life with a sleep number but was replaced by a very good quality Tempurpedic. Real queen. My toy-hauler was real queen and got a lightly used mattress from the quest room. Girlfriend's Crusader has a real queen and we just replaced the mattress with a real mattress from Sam's. They delivered and installed. Took away the old junk too. With a standard mattress you have lots to choose from at affordable prices. Ban the "RV Mattress" junk.

Tags
mattress