Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #15

Our logic revolved around justifying the use of a truck/tow vehicle when not actually towing. We had no other way to justify owning one at all, so we went with a motorhome.

If we had a business or other purpose that required us to cart materials around, or something similar, it might have been a whole different story?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 04:41 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ya'll have given me a lot to think about.

I had not considered my handicap evolving and maybe being a player later down the road, but as I have had this for over twenty years I have become pretty good at knowing what is going to be a good day and what is going to be a bad day - but you are right it will get worse as years go on. This added makes me lean towards a MH.

Use of the truck is what leaned me towards 5vrs in the first place. I also own a 16ft cargo trailer that I pull and will use over the next couple of years as we transition through our downsizing efforts, but after that time it will not be needed. I bought my tow vehicle a couple of years ago (2005 F250 DE) - I now know I need a larger one unless I am willing to stay with the mid size or smaller 5ver. Originally my plans were just to use it for 2 - 4 week trips several times a year (maybe 4 - 5 months a year total use) so a mid size 5ver was adequate, but now I wonder if this new opportunity comes along if it will be adequate.

I sure am glad I have time to think this over and I think testing a MH or maybe even renting one for a short trip may be a good idea. I will not make any decisions until I know the job opportunity is firm, because if it falls through I will just go back to my original idea.

I really do thank all of yall for your help. Like I said I still have a lot to think about.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:51 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I wish BCooke had not shown me that toter - if I go fifth wheel and ever become a full timer I will have to get one - or course with a bigger truck than I currently have.

I have never seen one of those before, but WOW...
Old 09-10-2011, 06:05 AM   #18

We purchased a motorhome in the 90's and used it heavily for a couple of years. We were both still working and couldn't spend the amount of time in it to really justify its cost, so we sold it. In 2009 as retirement was closing upon us we started looking at RV's, mainly 5'ers and MH's. The 5'ers were beautiful but not practical for us. We didn't own a truck which meant we would need to sell or trade in one of our cars. We also have fur-legged children, two dogs and two cats. Now the truck would need to be a crew cab to hold crates for the critters. Plus we wanted a pretty good sized 5'er which meant that the tow vehicle would need to be a dually. All that taken into consideration we thought about the roadside stop for lunch. We would want to take the animals in their crates from the truck to the 5'er so the critters could stretch their legs, then we would need to repack them and tote the crates back to the truck after lunch. Way to much hassle.

After ruling out 5'ers we started looking at MH's. First gas powered, then diesel powered. We were thinking somewhere around a 38' gasser was what we wanted. Test drove a bunch. Some were great and some not so good. We had the opportunity to test drive a Journey DP immediately after driving a very nice Itasca 38J. The ride and comfort in the DP won hands down.

We retired in late 2010 and were still looking for a coach for us. We finally found a DP that suited our needs in our price range. We didn't purchase a new motorhome because we didn't want to take the big hit in the depreciation. We find the the MH is very convenient for us and our fur-legged children. The coach is a breeze to set up. We pull into a campsite, turn the leveling system to ON then press the Auto button and the coach gets leveled. While I hook up the water and electricity the wife presses the switches to extend the slides. If we are going to stay in the location for more than a night, I unhook the car that we tow.

We also found that the seats/chairs in the MH for the pilot and co-pilot are far more comfortable than the seats in a truck. You will also find that you have a much better view of the road ahead of you as you drive.

Currently we use our coach about 2 weeks out of every month. Most of the time we drive to our destination, setup and enjoy the area.

I'm sure you will find the vehicle that is right for you. Don't be afraid to test drive those Class A's. If you want to have some fun this coming January come to the Florida RV Supershow January 11 - January 15, 2012 at the Florida State Fairgrounds just east of Tampa, FL. Florida RV Trade Association - 2012 Florida RV SuperShow It is always a great show with lots to look at. If you want to see more you can drive less than 5 miles from the Fairgrounds to LazyDays RV in Seffner, Florida. They have every type of RV and lot's of everything. Lazydays: If You Love RVing

Best of luck to you in making your decision and I hope the job situation works out for you.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Since we kind of live in the boonies of middle Ga. there is not much to look at in the used RV market. I have not found used RVs in Florida of any kind that did not have the tell tale signs of rust in the storage compartments or along the seams yet so RV's from Florida are out. We have been looking at 2006 - 2009's.

We are planning a roadtrip to Tn and to Tx later to look at those markets. I have found several online that have large inventories, but the idea of touring a RV show sounds appealing also just for gathering ideas...
Old 09-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiretired View Post
I have not found used RVs in Florida of any kind that did not have the tell tale signs of rust in the storage compartments or along the seams yet so RV's from Florida are out. We have been looking at 2006 - 2009's.
I don't know if I would be as quick as you are to rule RV's in Florida out. There are many warm and humid areas of the country. I think that your area would qualify as being warm and humid. Heck, most of the midwest and areas along the coast of the Carolinas would qualify. What about the weather in the Pacific Northwest? Rain almost all of the time. Wouldn't that create rust?

We own property in upstate Georgia in Pickens County near Jasper. It even gets warm and humid up there.

I know you have ruled out Florida coaches but this place Quality Motor Coach sells bank repo units. It is a little over an hour from LazyDays. At least you might get an idea about pricing.

Good luck in your search.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #21

Howdy!

IMO motorhome's are nice but two vehicles to maintain along with toad. I love our large 5er and MDT we use to tow it with but the mileage sucks. I personally would be looking for a good used Airstream TT with your F250 you could tow even a 34' without any problems. Airstream is a good quality TT and tows better than the SOB's also you should see better fuel mileage towing AS. Just something to think about.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 09-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #22

I often hear the two vehicle maintenance argument.So when I had a minor problem with the motorhome and took the toad to get a clamp I guess that was a bad thing?When I park the motorhome and go site seeing in a comfortable toad that gets good gas milage that's a bad thing?
Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 PM   #23

How important is initial investment? You already have a 3/4T truck which will tow a 5er or TT safely-if you stay within its ratings. Last June we were in the same RV park as the "Suites" rally. I saw many 3/4T pickups towing the shorter "Mobile Suites' 5ers(about 32').
What weather do you anticipate in your traveling work? If you may/will be in sub-freezing weather, or the hot SW states in summer, you would need insulation factors suitable for these temperature extremes.
I'm certainly no expert of RV construction, however, it appears (from reading specs) the better 5ers have better insulation factors than most MH's. or TT's.
I've owned TT's, 5ers, truck campers, and a MH; the above is just my opinion, no slams or putdowns.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #24

we went thru this same thought process looking at trailers and mh's we looked at several of each and finally settled on a mh.
the comfort while traveling was one reason the mh rides good, you can access the fridge, bathroom, bed while under way, in bad weather you don't have to go out side to get in.
as far as cost the mh get fair fuel mileage the toad gets great, a truck heavy enough to tow a big fiver will not much better loaded and not great unloaded.
maintenance costs on the mh will pretty close to the cost of the truck but the purchase cost a nice tow rig and 5ver will cost more then a nice low mileage mh .
if the tow rig breaks you are stuck with the mh and toad you are still mobile.
as far as towing the toad i sold my dollie and will use my trailer,still have brakes can load the toad to set my tongue weight right where i need it and i can back my car trailer with the motor home if needed not possible with dollie or four down,bad experience when arkansas flooded out this spring
when the mh is setting there are no miles racking up,no chance of getting run into when setting
and we bought a decent mh for what a 5ver would cost saved the truck cost

just my two cents worth good luck and happy travels
Old 09-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #25

5ers are getting easier all the time for set-ups. Have an auto leveling system on ours. Disconnect the TV, push a button and auto levels. If just stoping for the night, don't even up hook. With the auto leveling, I can un-hook and level or hook-up just about as quick as a MH with a toad. My dually gets 10.5 to 11.5 towing and 18 to 20 solo. Granted not a real fuel miser, but not that bad either. It all comes down to floor plans and personal preference. We thought about and looked at some MHs, but in the end decided it didn't quite fit our needs as we still wanted a truck as we live in the sticks of Western NY (the state, not the city). We love our 5er and are now living in it about 60 to 70% of the time. Best wishes on which ever way you decide.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Having first hand experience with a disabilty, we suggest a motorhome. Ease of set-up, and ease of access to bathroom and kitchen during a rest stop makes the mh the best setup for us. We a couple motorhomes, then had a TT for a couple year and how have a DP. If your disablility can be progressive, as is my DH's, we've found we can see RVing for longer than if we'd stayed with a TT. We never had a 5er because he uses a wheelchair.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:42 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Red face slip of wording

Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
I don't know if I would be as quick as you are to rule RV's in Florida out.
Maybe I jumped on my statement - what I meant was along the Coastal areas (I-95 strip) - high salt content. We have looked at RV's that are inland (Ocala and such).

I will be more careful in my wording in the future.

Oh, and definitely thanks for the link. Nice MH's.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lightbulb Investment and weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
How important is initial investment? ...

What weather do you anticipate in your traveling work? ...
With the research I have done so far on 5er's and MH's they will be about the same investment. A TT would save us money. (All used of course 2006 - 2009)

I bought my truck during the big gas scare - late 2009 and it is still worth about 10 - 15% more than I paid for it - so if I go MH I will not have a loss with selling it. I have already had a friend offer me what I paid for it if I decide to go MH. He would be getting a good price in his opinion. The truck is already setup to tow a 5er (previous owner) - only need to install the hitch again so if I go 5ver I will not have any major cost in this department... Most places we have talked to will throw in the hitch with the sale of the 5ver...

I will not be in any weather below 30degrees, but I would be in the heat. I have been paying close attention to insulation during my browsing of RV's and you are right about 5er's seemingly having better insulation. I was in one during the heat wave in Aug and could not believe how cool the 5ver was considering it had been sitting in the heat all day (Denali), while the others we looked at almost felt like ovens inside (comparably of course)...

Thanks for all the great replies...