Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2011, 06:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semiretired View Post
Maybe I jumped on my statement - what I meant was along the Coastal areas (I-95 strip) - high salt content. We have looked at RV's that are inland (Ocala and such).

I will be more careful in my wording in the future.

Oh, and definitely thanks for the link. Nice MH's.
No harm, no foul...

Because we have a lot of snowbird traffic here in the Sunshine State, we also have a plethora of RV dealers. There's a good possibility that some of the motorhomes you looked at were trade-in's from people that owned them up north. If they had been driven up north during the winter months when the roadways are a slurry of ice and salt they would surely rust.

Again, good luck in your search. You are approaching it in the right way by taking your time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
No harm, no foul...

Because we have a lot of snowbird traffic here in the Sunshine State, we also have a plethora of RV dealers. There's a good possibility that some of the motorhomes you looked at were trade-in's from people that owned them up north. If they had been driven up north during the winter months when the roadways are a slurry of ice and salt they would surely rust.

Again, good luck in your search. You are approaching it in the right way by taking your time.
Thanks - because this is just text - it is very easy for the reader to misunderstand what the person is meaning to say, so I usually try to be careful with what I write. I want and plan to get a lot out of this forum and want to stay on everyone's good side...

Also, I had not thought about the snow bird effect so I will keep that in consideration also. I am sure the title will say where the RV was originally from. To bad there is not a method to tell what type of RVing the owners did and the stress they put on the unit while using it... Some people baby their units and others do not. I use the rule of thumb that if the RV looks good (appears well taken care of) then they also kept up with the maintenance properly - but I know that is not always true.

Again Thanks

Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #31

Semiretired, you are doing exactly what we're doing, but a bit faster. We're looking at TT, FW, and DP. Each has advantages over the other two, and each has disadvantages.

Two points that haven't come up yet for you to consider are insurance and equipment needed for your work. Those may or may not have any effect on your decision.

You may end up where we are right now. We've studied enough over the past year that if something happened that we had to suddenly retire right this minute (with the finances as they will be when we plan to retire), we're fairly confident that we could find a decent rig in each category.

Something else to think about is whether you want slides, and if so, how many. Slides add weight and complexity, and the opportunity for "undesirable" things to enter the coach. They also add considerable living space.

Go to all the shows you can, visit as many dealers as possible, talk to as many people as you can, and enjoy the search. Oh yes, go visit factories. You will learn much that will help you, no matter what rig you get.
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep an eye on the Georgia National Fair Grounds in Perry to find out when they have another RV show since you are from Kathleen. You will be able to check out all the different brands and types of recreational vehicles there.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Semiretired, you are doing exactly what we're doing, but a bit faster. We're looking at TT, FW, and DP. Each has advantages over the other two, and each has disadvantages.

Two points that haven't come up yet for you to consider are insurance and equipment needed for your work. Those may or may not have any effect on your decision.

You may end up where we are right now. We've studied enough over the past year that if something happened that we had to suddenly retire right this minute (with the finances as they will be when we plan to retire), we're fairly confident that we could find a decent rig in each category.

Something else to think about is whether you want slides, and if so, how many. Slides add weight and complexity, and the opportunity for "undesirable" things to enter the coach. They also add considerable living space.

Go to all the shows you can, visit as many dealers as possible, talk to as many people as you can, and enjoy the search. Oh yes, go visit factories. You will learn much that will help you, no matter what rig you get.

Yikes! What kind of "undesirable" things are we talking about?
I thought the slide compartment was sealed..
Old 09-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have asked a question that everyone on this forum will have an opinoin on and could supply you with some kind of answer and none of them are wrong because they are their own opinoin so I will add my experience.
I owned a quality 5th wheel, with artic insulation, dual pane windows, etc, very well built but I needed an F350 dually, LWB to pull it. For all our side trips and running around we had to naturally used the F350, forget parking in a parking garage. It is really easy to buy more 5th wheel than your truck is rated to tow. Do not listen to any salesman on what it is ok to tow with your truck, you need to know what your truck is rated for and stick to it. They only care about selling you a unit. I got 10MPG pulling the 5th wheel and the best the F350 got empty was 15MPG. It did a great job of pulling the 5th wheel both in the mountains and on the flat.
I now own an entry level MH by Tiffin, it is a very nice unit and we like it a lot, but it it nowhere near the quality of our 5th wheel, we would of had to of spent over three times as much as we did to get the same quality in the MH. We bought both units new, in fact we ordered both units, so the initial investment does play into which one you purchase. We like the MH better and one of the reasons is we get 8MPG with it pulling the toad, but when we unhook and do side trips we get 22 MPG or better with the Vue. Setting up is great with the automatic levelers. I hope this gives you just a little more food for thought.
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:42 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiretired View Post
ya'll have given me a lot to think about.

I had not considered my handicap evolving and maybe being a player later down the road, but as i have had this for over twenty years i have become pretty good at knowing what is going to be a good day and what is going to be a bad day - but you are right it will get worse as years go on. This added makes me lean towards a mh.

Use of the truck is what leaned me towards 5vrs in the first place. I also own a 16ft cargo trailer that i pull and will use over the next couple of years as we transition through our downsizing efforts, but after that time it will not be needed. I bought my tow vehicle a couple of years ago (2005 f250 de) - i now know i need a larger one unless i am willing to stay with the mid size or smaller 5ver. Originally my plans were just to use it for 2 - 4 week trips several times a year (maybe 4 - 5 months a year total use) so a mid size 5ver was adequate, but now i wonder if this new opportunity comes along if it will be adequate.

I sure am glad i have time to think this over and i think testing a mh or maybe even renting one for a short trip may be a good idea. I will not make any decisions until i know the job opportunity is firm, because if it falls through i will just go back to my original idea.

I really do thank all of yall for your help. Like i said i still have a lot to think about.
we have owned 5th wheels and motorhomes, mh in our experience is much more expensive and requires more up keep... We tend to think size for size a 5th wheel has better floor plans. We have never had one that we had to crawl into bed. 5th wheels in general are higher to step up into than mh. We just sold our mh and went back to a 5th wheel and what a relief it was, also mhs tend to get less gas mileage than a 5th wheel tow truck, i do miss having the br while traveling. Insurance and tag fees in our state for a mh is very high compared to a 5th wheel. I HAVE HAD BOTH KNEES TOTALLY REPLACED AND USE A CANE AND CAN'T TELL ALOT OF DIFFERENCE IN GETTING IN AND OUT.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:58 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I'm a class A guy, but I don't know that your description screams motorhome. It may be that budget and ease of setup are bigger determinant factors. if cost isn't a major factor and convenience is important, go with the motorhome. If your budget is tight and you don't mind a little more setup and break down time, go with the fiver.

Either way, there are some very livable units out there. The features and floor plans vary, but there are tons options with either type. I think either type would work for you.