Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best scooter or small motorcyle

I'm trying to find a good size scooter or small motorcycle to take with us when we camp in our motor home. I need to be able to haul it on a hitch or bumper mount rack, of which I have seen plenty. I just want basic transportation when needed while camping, but I would like something big enough for a big guy like me to be able to take out on the highway from time to time, or if needed say for emergencies while camping.

So, I'm thinking 250-400cc scooter or motorcycle. I'm sure there is a wealth of information as always. So, what are you guys toting around for transportation. I just still want to be able to back up my motor home if needed without having to mess with a trailer/tow dolly/toad.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Suzuki Bergman 400 scooter. It is plenty big enough without being too big. Automatic trans, great fuel and will scoot down the interstate as well as the parking lots. If that doesn't work, check out the Honda silver wing.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been looking at a couple used Bergmans. Very impressive. Very solid, but not overly heavy. Godd to hear you have had good experiences with them. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:31 AM   #4

the other one is the yamaha majesty 400, used they are cheep, mine has been problem free, good luck
yak50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #5

A couple of friends have Honda Helix 250s and really like them. Unfortunately, they've been out of production for quite some time.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #6

I had a Honda Reflex for several years and loved it. It had a 250cc engine and could cruise at 70 mph.

But you need to think about carrying it on a mount or lift on the rear of your motorhome. I think the Reflex weighed about 352 pounds dry. I weighed the front and rear axles on the motorhome and then installed a mount with a lift and put the Reflex on it and returned to the scales. I found it had put an additional 800 pounds on the rear axle and reduced the front axle by 300 pounds. I had a large diesel pusher with air ride and leveling so the weights didn't matter. I think it would have been unsafe on a smaller gas motorhome.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote