Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best State of Residence for Full Timers

I have been screwed and tatooed by the state of California for over 50 years with increasing
Vehicle registration costs, sales tax, property tax, insurance fees, taxes on my military retirement, inheritance tax, etc.

I have now downsized and sold my home and become a full time RVer.

What is the best state for a full timer without land to be a resident of ?

I hear South Dakota and then Texas....

What say you?
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #2

one of our best friends from SoCal, has just went full-timing and they chose South Dakota. they did a lot of research and they felt that SD was the best one for them.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #3

We live in SD and belong to Hart Ranch Resort. Just went full-time 6weeks ago. Everyone we talk to here in the park praises SD as the best place due to the low cost of health insurance, vehicle insurance/licensing and cost-of-living. Smart to do your research, and I'm sure SD will be the favored state. God bless you and I hope things improve for you!!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
South Dakota, Texas, and Florida seem to top the list. If you have a military pension and medical insurance, then you should be OK in any of them. If you're buying your own medical insurance then you'll want to look into what's available in each of them. We picked Texas because of it's High Risk Pool insurance.

joe
Old 11-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I am also a soon to be retiree from california(3 more years). I also plan on leaving California as a full-timer. I am going to domicile in South Dakota because I like the looks of their license plates better than Texas or Florida. Just kidding about the reason, but I am sure we will be South Dakotans soon.

Good luck and congrats on getting out of california.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #6

I think that Alaska is right up there also. I am using my old, faulty memory, but as I recall they don't have an state income tax, and the rest of them are low also.

If you are a property owner, you might can get in on other bennies also. Anyone remember details??

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::
HA! HERE IT IS:

Best: No. 1, Alaska

State income tax: None
State sales tax: None
Inheritance tax: No

Check out Alaska's attractions

Taxes? The Last Frontier State actually gives residents money for living there, distributed from its Permanent Fund, an oil wealth savings account administered by the state. This year, every man, woman and child who has lived in Alaska for at least one year received a 2009 dividend of $1,305. There's no income tax, no state sales tax, and only 25 municipalities even levy a property tax. Some municipalities impose local sales taxes of up to 7%, however.
:
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We went right from CA to SD and haven't looked back. SD fit the bill for us in all senses...no state income tax, low registration fees, low health insurance costs and very fulltimer friendly.

We did all our initial license plate registration by mail using our SD mail service (Alternative Resources) and then simply drove the rig for a visit to the Black Hills to get our drivers licence (which took all of 10 mins since we were the only people there!)
Old 11-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs up I switched from TX to SD

I went full time several years ago and although I was satisfied with the mail svc at Escapees I wasn't happy with having to return to TX for vehicle inspections and found it harder and harder to find a place to inspect a motorhome unless I was around a dealership.

So I moved to SD, and don't regret it if I ever do I'll make another change. I used Americas Mail Box and they helped me get my vehicle registered my driver's license and voter registration. Even my insurance on the rig was better.They have their own RV park if you visit them so it is easy as pie. The folks at DMV were (get this) nice DMV knows all about full time RV'rs and all you do is follow instruction Americas Way tells you and it is a breeze. Heck I even like Rapid City and the Black Hills, in the summer of course

Where ever you choose your going to love not paying all that money to California. I met so many folks who have done the same thing and it is like winning the lottery not paying for all that stuff and get this most of the US doesn't pay those high prices for fuel either so welcome to the free world and enjoy

Do check out the medical insurance carefully before doing anything in my case I have Federal Employees Insurance and it was no problem not so with some others.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #9

Wonder why Oregon is not on the list? Reasonable license fees, no sales tax. What is not to like???
Old 11-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Wonder why Oregon is not on the list? Reasonable license fees, no sales tax. What is not to like???
State income tax.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #11

You have to seriously consider South Dakota.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Oregon has an income tax which applies to retirement income too. There are three tax brackets of 5%, 7%, and 9%.

We kept our Oregon residency when we went full time since we had bought our motorhome while Oregon residents. We didn't pay sales tax since we are Oregon residents, and if we change residency we'd have to pay sales tax to the new state. It seems wrong to me, but we'd have to pay any state the sales tax on the price of the rig. We can't afford to change states!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #13
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrantz View Post
Oregon has an income tax which applies to retirement income too. There are three tax brackets of 5%, 7%, and 9%.

We kept our Oregon residency when we went full time since we had bought our motorhome while Oregon residents. We didn't pay sales tax since we are Oregon residents, and if we change residency we'd have to pay sales tax to the new state. It seems wrong to me, but we'd have to pay any state the sales tax on the price of the rig. We can't afford to change states!
Some states forgive the sales tax if it has been longer than a specified amount of time since the vehicle was purchased. I don't think SD does this.

Vehicle tax in SD is a one-time fee of 3% based on original sales price of the vehicle. You would have to weigh that against continuing to pay income tax every year in Oregon. It depends on how much your vehicle(s) cost, how long you plan to own them, and how much taxable income you have. It may be advantageous in the long run to bite the bullet and pay the vehicle tax in SD, but the downside is you have to come up with the money all at one time.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I recall SD charged us 3% of the then current value of our 2004 motor home when we moved there in late 2005. They looked up the value in the NADA book. We moved there from NH which has no sales tax on vehicles.