Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-12-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
BEST TIME? Helping Parents buy an RV

= Looking for any tips, tricks and/or advice on how to locate the perfect motorhome =

I am trying to help my parents (age 70) locate a motorhome.

We are currently looking at MHSRV because we live in Texas and like the fact they have a very wide selection. They are having an RV Show Sept 1-6 and are already offering "show prices" on most RVs. As such, many people are trading in their units and upgrading.

My parents are hoping to get one of these "trade-ins."

The issue is that as soon as one pops up on their website it is sold in 48 hours before we can even plan a trip to go see it.

We tried looking through rvtrader but it does not get updated quick enough... most of the RVs on there are showing available when in fact - they are already gone.

I'm going to email one of the salesmen at MHSRV and ask them to keep an eye out for something matches the description below.

They want something "nice" so they are not much interested in a $29,000 fixer upper...

They will not have a trade-in.

Here is what they are looking for...

- price less than $80k
- slides
- awning
- Class A
- less 50,000 miles
- year 2009 to 2015
- prefer used
- looking for size 29' to 37'
- sleeps at least 4, possibly 6
- sofa and dinette, extra chair would be nice

Motorhomes we have seen and liked

- Fleetwood Storm
- Fleetwood Hurricane
- Thor A.C.E.
- Winnebago Adventurer

wfcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
2011 Itasca Sunstar 35f, Papillion NE - 112893881 - RVTrader.com

I would think right now would be a good time to buy... It's getting close to the end of the season for most RV'ers and I would think most of the dealerships want to reduce inventory for the upcoming winter..

I found the above RV on RVTRADER.COM... We've been very happy with our 35F and it appears to check all your needs/wants..

Good Luck !!

Eric & Denise
2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F
2010 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
more info...

they want to purchase here in Texas... not interested in making a huge trip to purchase.

Also, RVTrader seems almost like a waste of time (or hours of work). You can find 20 perfect RVs on there... then, spend hours emailing and calling all the numbers only to find that 90% of them are sold.

Just looking to see what the most efficient ways to do this.
wfcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Google PPL RV. They may be able to help you as well. They are in south Texas. Never bought a Motorhome from them, but have ordered parts from them and they were fast, friendly and efficient.
Tom and Gloria
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35A, TOAD: 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Towbar, Baseplate and SMI Stay N Play
TomandGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
wfcentral - I will second the recommendation of PPL motorhomes in Houston. When I was shopping for a motorhome a while back they seemed to have a good selection at fair prices. I would also recommend using ebay. You can limit the ones you see by putting in the number of miles from your home. I used ebay as a reference quite a bit when I was looking to get a general idea of what the prices should be. And there is also Craig's list. Check it for your local area.

As far as the best time to shop for a motorhome or RV. In my opinion the best time is the end of the summer till the end of January. February - May people are buying to get ready for the season and best to avoid that time.

What ever you do though, do not "settle" on a motorhome because you are having a hard time finding one. By far and away the best situation is to buy a used motorhome from someone who has taken careful care of it and fixed issues promptly when they come up. The worst is to get a used one without an extended warranty where you have no idea how it has been cared for perviously. Motorhomes are not cars. They are way more complex and made in much smaller batches by small companies. This means there is a lot more stuff to go wrong.

Relatively simple gas motorhomes like the ones in your list a very good choices if you are not going to constantly drive long distances and camp more than you drive. A number of my friends have 32'-36' gas rigs and they offer a lot of RV for the money. Try to avoid motorhomes that have sat for long periods of time without being used. They get "lot rot". Tires, seals, batteries, rubber, all goes bad or at least is degraded. RV tires "hate" sitting for long periods of time. They crack and rot. RVs love being used regularly. Most modern motors gas or diesel last a very long time. Better to get a regularly used motorhome than one that has sat for an extended time.

Hope this helps.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
I have done business with Vogt RV in Ft. Worth on several occasions with satisfactory results and they have very good service. I have also had several friends do business with MHSRV and they all have very good things to say of the experience.

Good Travelin! Kirk
Full-time 11 years, now part-time.
Kirk & Pam's Great Adventure!
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote