RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2019, 04:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
For my situation, the odds of needing it are low in the first place. I don't travel fulltime all over the country. Second, if needed, I know it will be short jaunt at a slower speed to a repair/tire shop. I do agree, it would be a pain if the spare lost air or blew on the way, but I've weighed that into my decision and is a chance I'm willing to take. Again, I'd be driving slower on it and don't feel it would be a hazard to anyone. Also, finding a replacement is easy for our smaller rig with 19.5s.

I would think differently if I was traveling more often in a heavier coach, especially one with an uncommon size tire. For now though, I have both, peace of mind and the good feeling of saving the $300+ on a tire that would probably never be used.
\

Last year, I put 8000 miles on the coach and less than 1000 of that was on interstate highways. My commercial grade 19.5" spare tire was $190 including shipping from Simple Tire in PA and I have the good feeling of knowing I will have a reliable spare when traveling.

Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #16

Buy a new tire.

If your RV isn't overloaded and if you check your tires regularly and replace with age (5 yr.) not with looks, then flats rarely happen.

If you keep an old tire for the spare by the time you 'may' need it then it would be much older. I wouldn't trust it.

Big motorhomes don't come with spares. In 16 years of full-timing and traveling constantly we never had a flat.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #17

I would bring them both.
93 Jayco RK 325, 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base, 07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:24 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So how many of you are thinking "spare, uh, the one that came on it..." That is me, mine has never been off the rig, so it is now 17 years old. If I get a flat, I will call a mobile tire service and either have them bring a new tire, or have them put my spare on and drive it to the nearest tire store for a new one. I do bang on it every few years to make sure it has air. Not something I am going to loose sleep over.

Ultimately I would like to replace a bad tire with the same brand but am not going to buy a seventh tire to just keep as a spare. Which brings up a thought, who ever rotates their tires?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:45 AM   #19

Mark and Marie, as other's have said, either will do as a spare for a very temporary use.

I bet you will never need it so spending money for a new tire to use as a spare would probably just age out with no road use.

CJ7ole.... There is no need to rotate unless you have unusual wear. If you have a single axle coach and the front tires are wearing on the edge, etc., get a good alignment and switch the fronts with one side of the dually set. We had wear on the front tires of our previous Dynasty from a bad alignment from Colton Truck in Colton, CA. (jerks) . So, I got a new alignment at a reputable shop in Nashville and had my tag tires put on the front and the worn tires (inner edge) put on the tag. Soon after, I bought a whole new set.

Michelin states that we can get 180,000 miles out of a set or up to 10 yrs. of use. I have 365/70R/22.5's on the front and tag axle and 315/80R/22.5's on the drive axle. We do not carry a spare. In the twelve years of RV'ing, we have never had a flat.

Our tires are so heavy (including the wheel), I couldn't lift them anyway with my bad back. That's what roadside assistance is for. I will be changing the tires on the coach as we are nearing the 6 yr. mark on date codes (2014 chassis). I know it's a little early but I NEVER want to have a blow-out and we are heavy at 55,500 lbs.

Safe travels!
Mark