Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2019, 10:08 PM   #1

Best town's with friendliest people?

The majority of you are on the move weekly, seeing new citys and states that others would never have the chance to see in one lifetime.

As a future RVer, I would like to ask you all a question.

In your travels, going from campsite to the next, do you feel your getting a good feel of the people of that area or just fellow RVers from out of town?

If you do feel your getting to meet the people of each city and state, did you ever come across an area that the town's folk were much nicer than others?

My goal in my future RV endeavors will be to find a new place to live. All I think I need are kindly folks and a great river to fish... oh and unfortunately house prices that I can afford. (Please don't concentrate on the house price comment if possible!)

Or would you say that people are people and no one place is better than another?

Thanks again, you people are a wealth of knowledge.
Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2019, 10:23 PM   #2

I loved Prescott Valley, great town , great people, worst weather I've ever lived in. I would say the nicest people were in Provo Utah overall. And the Salt lake area has the best drivers in the country hands down.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:35 PM   #3

What is the deal with the weather in Prescott. Thought the weather was decent there
Old 12-14-2019, 05:45 AM   #4

We lived in Prescott and the weather was fine. Maybe theres more wind in Prescott Valley ? The top of my list is Lake Havasu City, just need a couple more years before going.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:03 AM   #5

I've ran into friendly people all in my travels. I find smaller towns more friendly than larger cities. Gulfport Mississippi was right on top of the list for friendly, from the mechanics at the shop when I broke down to the tow truck driver, Cat dealer, fast food workers, etc. My wife and I both commented how over friendly everyone was.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:16 AM   #6

….the Texas Hill Country...."red" or "blue," there is something for you...….
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:20 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I don’t think you learn about a community in a week. You need to stay a month or more to really understand the people who live there permanently. Go to the stores, the barber/beauty shop, a few community organizations like church or Rotary or whatever else you are interested in.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:51 AM   #8

I like a medium size town 30-40 miles from a more major city. I'm looking for a place with cultural programs and plenty of things to do--but not too large. The larger city will provide adequate healthcare, and hopefully a very active musical scene. University towns are often especially nice places to live.

I also like to live relatively close proximity to other interesting places. I have no desire to live where cities are 400 miles apart.

And a varied topography is preferred. After living in two places as flat as a pancake, living in hills or in the mountains is preferred--for sheer beauty. And if rivers or lakes are close, it's even better.

Weather is another important factor. I do like 4 distinct seasons, but I'd like to never see snow again. I can put up with hot weather, but you can keep your ultra cold and windy weather.

As far as nice people, you can find them in many places. But I think the nicest people I've ever run into in my business life were in Arkansas. After a week of driving all over the state, my wrist was sore from waving back at every car I passed. The northern part of the state has such low crime and incredible lakes. I'm also partial to East TN, Western NC and NE GA.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I like a medium size town 30-40 miles from a more major city. I'm looking for a place with cultural programs and plenty of things to do--but not too large. The larger city will provide adequate healthcare, and hopefully a very active musical scene. University towns are often especially nice places to live.

I also like to live relatively close proximity to other interesting places. I have no desire to live where cities are 400 miles apart.

And a varied topography is preferred. After living in two places as flat as a pancake, living in hills or in the mountains is preferred--for sheer beauty. And if rivers or lakes are close, it's even better.

Weather is another important factor. I do like 4 distinct seasons, but I'd like to never see snow again. I can put up with hot weather, but you can keep your ultra cold and windy weather.

As far as nice people, you can find them in many places. But I think the nicest people I've ever run into in my business life were in Arkansas. After a week of driving all over the state, my wrist was sore from waving back at every car I passed. The northern part of the state has such low crime and incredible lakes. I'm also partial to East TN, Western NC and NE GA.
I read somewhere that Mountain view AR was a great place to retire. I believe that is north AK. Did you by chance visit?
Old 12-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Friendliest people I have found have been in Utah ... but, can't live there as I am allergic to cold Montana, South Dakota also have wonderful, friendly people. If you are really looking for a new place to "live" ... my suggestion would be stay in the areas you are thinking about for around 6 months minimum. That should tell you if it is "the place" or not! If not, then move and keep that up until you find the perfect place. If you never find that "perfect place" ... you will still find lots of great places!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #11

I live near Chicago. My daughter and son in law moved to Ft. Collins so he could finish school there. I thought people in and around Ft. Collins Co. were great . I was running around "looking all flustered" near the third car wash trying to find a working vacuum for return of the rental car. Guys at a Jiffy Lube were waiting to open up,spotted me . Had me bring it in, double teamed it and wouldn't even accept a tip. Basically everyone we met in Co. from Co.Springs to all around Entire Rocky Mo. Nat. Park area ,were caring, helpful, friendly ,courteous and professional at businesses. Sounds like boy and girl scout motto right there. This was even before legal recreational cannabis LOL . They do all drive like racecar drivers but also know how to file in and breeze through construction zones , totally unlike in Il.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #12

I've been fortunate to have found friendly people in places you might not expect, like New York City (midtown Manhattan), and some of the unfriendliest in the South (I'll never go back to Savannah, GA, some ugly souls there). The "bi-polar" award goes to Nevada, where I've met some of meanest, nastiest people and some of the sweetest and most caring.

I've found Minnesotans to be friendly, same with the kind and interesting people in Ashville, NC and Mountain View, AR.

There are fun, interesting and nice people everywhere. Some communities seem to get more of them than others but so far there are lot more folks on Santa's "nice" list than on the "naughty" list. Safe travels to you and yours!
Old 12-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
I live near Chicago. My daughter and son in law moved to Ft. Collins so he could finish school there. I thought people in and around Ft. Collins Co. were great . I was running around "looking all flustered" near the third car wash trying to find a working vacuum for return of the rental car. Guys at a Jiffy Lube were waiting to open up,spotted me . Had me bring it in, double teamed it and wouldn't even accept a tip. Basically everyone we met in Co. from Co.Springs to all around Entire Rocky Mo. Nat. Park area ,were caring, helpful, friendly ,courteous and professional at businesses. Sounds like boy and girl scout motto right there. This was even before legal recreational cannabis LOL . They do all drive like racecar drivers but also know how to file in and breeze through construction zones , totally unlike in Il.
Colorado is the worse place on earth to live. Please don't come here.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanda View Post
Colorado is the worse place on earth to live. Please don't come here.
Sanda, I dont think Colorado is on my radar at the moment.
Once I start my journey I will pass thru for sure...

What is it about Colorado you dont like? Are you a resident of colorado?

Tags
tow