Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2016, 09:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Best travel software suggestions

Traveling itself presents lots of issues. When adding traveling in a large motorhome or pulling a large camper, this presents other challenges. Wondering what software applications you all use to help during your travels. Travel planning software, fuel location software, etc. What do you all find essential? Thanks in advance for your replies!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 10:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCathy View Post
Traveling itself presents lots of issues. When adding traveling in a large motorhome or pulling a large camper, this presents other challenges. Wondering what software applications you all use to help during your travels. Travel planning software, fuel location software, etc. What do you all find essential? Thanks in advance for your replies!
We understand your question, we recently upgraded to a 45ft x 13 ft high coach and with the toad we are 64 ft long.
So i'm interested in the feed back also.
I use, Good Sam for camp sites along on route for a good start on what might work for us.
We bought the Big Rig book also and consult it.
I understand the $12.50 All Stays app is good but we have not signed on yet.
At some of the big Travel Centers you can pick up" their brands" ie Flying Jay or Pilot" Truckers Diesel Fuel up locations guide books.
There maybe a book or app that covers every truckers fuel stop locations, which would be the very helpful as we cannot get in many regular stations.

Our rig has a great Rand McNally gps system that locates, travel centers, rv parks, points of interest, ect-- in our travel area, and we can input our size and it filters the responses so we should be ok to fit.

RMcN probably have the very best Rv Travel information, so check them out for options that might work for you.

Hope this helps.

Rollin Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Dave and Janice, thanks for your reply. Please tell me what RMcN is? When I google it, I get repair my credit organization. Always looking for new information. Thank you so much! Happy travels!
Old 09-15-2016, 06:35 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Rand McNally
JillDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #5

I like to use:
Truck Master Fuel Finder by Interstate or Highways. It also has Rest Areas and places for overnight parking. It has Satellite views for most of the above.
RV Park Reviews - It list RV Parks by State, City or Town. Has a review of each and Website link if available.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have yet to see a single application that meets our needs - so we use several.
  • Garmin Nuvi GPS unit - on the dash, loaded with current maps and programmed for our "destination de jour" - good for "next turn" navigation.
  • Google Maps - used by whoever is "navigating" to handle the "bigger picture" (next town, researching alternate routes, satellite view "drill downs" to reconnoiter exits, parking lots, fuel stations, campground "previews", etc.
  • Allstays - (loaded on iPad) used for locating potential campgrounds and overnight stops.
  • RV Parky - (loaded on iPad) alternate app used for locating potential campgrounds and overnights
  • Sanidumps - (loaded on iPad) used occasionally to locate dumpstations.
  • Gas Buddy - (loaded on iPad) used for locating potential fuel stops
  • Excel - Custom built spreadsheets for coach trip log, maintenance log, fuel log, Estimated fuel Consumption Calculator, etc.
  • Google Search - for researching "points of interest", shopping, etc. - at destination and/or along our planned route.
  • Quicken - to track trip specific spending and expenses
  • Microsoft OneNote - used to organize anything/everything related to a given trip. Incredibly useful tool for organizing all the research that goes into planning a trip. I use it to create itinerary/trip calendar, store trip related correspondence (li.e., campground reservation confirmations), trip budget plans/assumptions, create/manage pre-trip "To Do" lists, packing lists, etc.) Typically, I assemble my trip plans in OneNote over time our itinerary and plans slowly come together - working on my laptop. I then store the OneNote trip plan file on OneDrive - where it's shared with ALL of our devices (iPad, my iPhone, DW's iPhone). The complete trip plan is literally always in my pocket (on my iPhone). Minor tweaks (like adding, "checking off" items on "To Do" and/or packing lists can be added (and instantly shared) whenever/wherever something I need to remember pops into my head.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #7

We use the following tool; Rand McNally RV7710 GPS for trip planning and driving directions. You do put in the motor home/trailer parameters. Such as weight, height, total length of vehicles being towed/driven, number of propane bottles and size and so forth. This will than route you accordingly, you can even by pass interstates/toll roads also. There are parameters you can set in the GPS to setup for fuel stops, restaurants, stores, police/fire department, hospitals, banks and campgrounds.

The unit can be updated as often as you like by Rand McNally with life time maps on the computer of your choice.

We also use two paper books that have helped also one is the "NEXT EXIT" list truck fuel stops and rest area that are RV friendly on the interstate. The other is called the RV'ers friend this list fuel stops on non-interstate road ways. They are published yearly and we use them when we are on the road. We also have paper maps these will never quit on you such as low battery.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #8

Best travel software suggestions

Allstays is great! We use it a LOT when traveling, to find campgrounds, gas stations, dumps, etc.. It's our main go to app.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:38 PM   #9

Google and google maps sat view.
We have an rv gps and use it but we tend to override the route and create waypoints based on what we managed to find in google what looks interesting or is easy to get in an out of.

Gas buddy.......but again we use google mas to double check it and see the layout. Google maps tends to have the current gas prices anyway.......rumor is the prices are sourced using waze and gas buddy.

waze........navigation app on the cell that gives real time traffic and other things. Do not always use but we do use it to look ahead and see traffic issues........it will reroute you to avoide congestion but does not know your an rv so we then sometimes take that reroute and put it into the rv gps just to be sure we do not end up hitting low clearance or a something......once had waze try to take me to a ferry....gps said hell no. lol

my copilot ( truth is copilot does all this stuff if rv is moving, i am to busy driving to mess with it all, parked it is a team effort) will also use an app called next ext to look ahead and see what might be coming up that might be of use for us........next rest area. historical sites, or points of interest..............I will sound like a broken record here but again we then take that and input to google maps to have a closer look.

Did i mention google maps and google? there is a reason........everything you need is there....you just got to know how to look for it.

all the other apps for finding places to stay still get run through google and google maps to get an idea of what we have to deal with it to get in an out for a nights stay.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:39 PM   #10

Have a Garmin gps and use Garmin Basecamp to plan routes. Somewhat of a learning curve with Basecamp but using it in conjunction with google maps is a pretty complete package. After planning the trip with Basecamp I download it to my gps.

Basecamp is free and works with your Garmin gps for maps and type of driving you do. A good tutorial is at BaseCamp Video Tutorials for Beginners by Norwood | POI Factory
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #11

I really like my rand mcnally rv gps and the trip planning site that they have..I use all stays app and next exit book. Really all the resources others have mentioned get used periodically but the mcnally site and Google are most common for planning.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:56 PM   #12

I've gotten more great trip ideas from Roadtrippers.com than any other site. I save each new one I find on Evernote, waiting for the next opportunity to travel. The best way I've found to follow Roadtrippers is following them on Facebook or Twitter.

Tags
travel