Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Best TV mount

What is the best type of mount to use to mount a 32" flat screen? I have removed the old TV and am going to replace it with a 32" Vizio. I have looked at several mounting systems but am undecided as to what to use. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
On my original quick installation of our 32" I used a couple of pieces of angle alumnium. Total cost was less than $20. I now have removed the center cabinet and have cut it down to less than 1/3 of the original depth and will be mounting the 32" on a 3/4" piece of plywood that also serves as a cabinet door so I can use the rest of the cabinet to install additional electronics or use as storage. I hope to have the conversion finished within the next few days and will post photos.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Basicly I am going to add a piece of 3/4 birch to the inside of the existing cabinet and mount the bracket to this panel. Since the new 32" extends wider than the original opening, this seems the easiest and cheapest way to go. I have not decided it I will use a swing-out arm type mount or just a simple fixed mount that can be moved up or down. Thanks texnet for your reply.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonine View Post
What is the best type of mount to use to mount a 32" flat screen? I have removed the old TV and am going to replace it with a 32" Vizio. I have looked at several mounting systems but am undecided as to what to use. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks

If you plan on mounting on a horizontal shelf. I purchased and installed model TV40-001H made by MOR-RYDE MOR/ryde - Products - Aftermarket - TV Mounts If you google "mor ryd tv mount" you will find vendors. I am using it for a 30 inch LCD with built-in DVD player. After 1 year, it is working perfectly.

These mounts are made specifically for RVs. It locks in place while riding. There is a latch that you lift to release, that allows you to pull it out about 12 inches where it also can lock in place. You can also rotate about 45 degrees left or right and also tilt up and down. Cost about $150. Easy to install (about 4 bolts on the bottom and the standard VESA plate to attach to the TV.
Dave and Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
@texnet, I am basiclly doing the same thing. I am using a piece of stained birch attached to the existing metal framing in the opening. To that I will mount the tv mount. Since the 32" is wider than the original opening for the tv, this seems the easiest and cheapest way to go. I just dont know is I want to use a swing out arn type mount or a simple fixed type mount that will move up or down. I have looked at a lot of refits of tv's by others on here and on other forums and this seems to be a method many have opted for. I may decide later to do a more indepth upgrade such as the one you mentioned. Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
@Dave & Jaime, I have looked at several of the mounts made by the company you mentioned and they do look very well made and capable. Thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Why not mount the birch on a piano hinge to the cabinet and just drill holes through it to mount the TV? That is what I am doing on my redesigned cabinet. I will use fender washers on the bolts for the TV so the bolt heads don't pull through the plywood.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After modifying the structure I used a full articulating mount on the new 36" TV.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
@texnet, I like that idea. Where did you find the piano hinge that was strong enough to do the job? I believe your idea would work well with the right hinge and would look good as well. Im sure it would be stronger and more stable. Do you have any pictures of your install? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
They have piano hinges at Home Depot, at least that is what I am using. I am installing it wil longer screws than those that come with the hinge. When close the plywood will be inside the frame of the TV housing so that will also add support. I am using some surface mount bolt closures (Everbilt 15751) to keep the plywood door shut.

I will be remounting the cabinet tonight or tomorrow and will be finishing the project between now and Monday. I will be posting photos soon :-)

Old 01-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #11

This is the mount I used when I replaced the front TV with a 37" LED. It has a positive lock system that keeps the TV firmly in the mount.

Amazon.com: Peerless SF640 Universal Fixed Low-Profile Wall Mount for 23" to 46" Displays (Black): Electronics
Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #12

Look here

They have great prices and solid products.
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #13

I think it is trigger Roy Rogers horse
Old 01-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I got the tv installed and it works real well. I got by fairly cheaply, the main expense was the new Vizio 32". but it was bought on sale. I already had the 3/4 birch and stain. All I needed was the mount. Then my neighbor came by. Seems he was installing a new big screen and told me I could have the old wallmount as it was not what he needed for his new tv. It is a basic tilt mount with a locking feature rated for max. 100# and the Vizio is less than 15# . The mount fit my needs well. I used some rubber bumpers between tv and birch board as a precaution for vibration. Was going to add soundbar but the volume of tv is great without one. So, the tv was $348 and install cost was $0 and the outcome was what we wanted. Thanks to all that offered help and advise.