Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
best water filter

Ok, here goes, and I hope I don't start a brand war.
What are your opinions of the best water filter to use in my 5er. I have one in there now, but can't tell you the brand. Getting ready to take off for my retirement trip in a couple months and want to be sure that I don't have any problems with the different water.
Thanks in advance,
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I'm subscribed. I love brand wars and would like to learn about these filters as well.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #3

Plain wound fiber filter. FILTrete by 3M. Available everywhere. Is for a standard whole house filters. Cheap. Lasts 3 months. No stuff in my ice.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
we have an Everpure RV/Marine drinking water filter and like that very much. the whole coach is a 10" Hydrolife cartridge filter with a carbon cartridge and also seems to work well.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Not sure about best, but we have the everpure that is separatly plumbed to our galley sink. I think it is standard on the Winnebago. I also use a canister that filters the water from the outside source to the MH. The everpure also filters the water going to the icemaker. Along with other use's my Scotch and water is a good as ever!!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I'm subscribed. I love brand wars and would like to learn about these filters as well.
Me too!

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Same filters here, I installed Everpure under sink, and use Camco on inlet hose. Seems to work well. The Everpure ADC cartridge used to be available on sale (10+years ago) at 2 for $25, now list for $50+ each. Mid 40's is a deal.
Probably still better than Montezuma's revenge or premature baldness.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #8

Do any of you use a water-softner as well as the other filters. Here in Florida we need it.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Do any of you use a water-softner as well as the other filters. Here in Florida we need it.
We currently use a 1 micron 10inch particulate filter before the water softener and a 1 micron modified carbon block filter (10in) whole house filter in the wet bay.
We are currently fighting a water pressure problem (too low) and tried removing both filters with no improvement. We will be replacing the filters with 5micron anyway. Both are 10in cannister type.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look here RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV and then you decide which is best for you.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Ok, here goes, and I hope I don't start a brand war.
What are your opinions of the best water filter to use in my 5er. I have one in there now, but can't tell you the brand. Getting ready to take off for my retirement trip in a couple months and want to be sure that I don't have any problems with the different water.
Thanks in advance,
Frank
The brand may not be as important as the certification. Look for filters that have been independently ("third-party") certified. For the filter products you want, that certification most likely will be to NSF/ANSI standards. For drinking water products, there basically are two standards, one confirms that there will be no harmful levels of substances (like lead) leaching from the materials of construction, while the other confirms that the product will work as advertised.

You can find listings of products at various websites, including www.nsf.com and www.wqa.org. The listing will show what products are certified, what contaminant(s) they are intended to reduce, the maximum flow rate, and for carbon filters, the capacity in gallons. Sediment filters typically are not rated for capacity due to variables in particle size and concentration.

If you review the listings, you will see that no single filter will solve all the potential water problems you might encounter in your travels. For example, there are no filters or reverse osmosis (RO) systems certified to reduce levels of bacteria and viruses, although there some that are certified for cyst reduction. The only units certified for microbiological control are ultraviolet (UV) systems, and even those require special monitors.
HOHDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
thanks to all that replied.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #13

I use a Berkey water filter which is external to the RV water line so I'm only filtering the water I drink.
Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #14

This is the one we use. A few years ago, took the RV to where the wife was going on a trail ride. The horse facility had RV area with hookups. The water had such a high sulfur content, the horses wouldn't even drink it. After picking up one of these at the local Wal-Mart, everyone was happy, including the horses.

Randy
cvhoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water