Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsizer View Post
I'll second the Fresh Cab!! Works the best. Our cat is useless. We plugged as many holes as possible & put FC out behind each wheel, water inlet hole & top of generator! Nada!!! Only thing we found that actually keeps them out.
You feed the cat to much. Go get a alley cat.

I really like these traps. The entire pad sets off the trap so they do not require much bait.
I often catch mice in my house with these by just setting the trap in places near the wall where I know the mice run. When they step on the trap they get caught.
The Better Mousetraps

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #30

Great information! I went into my coach today and was shocked to see mouse droppings everywhere and an unfamiliar odor. Despite being a big guy I'm really a sissy when it comes to rodents and reptiles. I check this thing about every other day, it's been maybe 4 days an it looks like a family moved in.

Maybe it's a waste but I hired an exterminator to handle this. I was getting it ready for a trip I'm taking in it for 6 weeks leaving in 3 weeks. I screamed like a girl when I opened a cabinet and saw one.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchet View Post
Great information! I went into my coach today and was shocked to see mouse droppings everywhere and an unfamiliar odor. Despite being a big guy I'm really a sissy when it comes to rodents and reptiles. I check this thing about every other day, it's been maybe 4 days an it looks like a family moved in.

Maybe it's a waste but I hired an exterminator to handle this. I was getting it ready for a trip I'm taking in it for 6 weeks leaving in 3 weeks. I screamed like a girl when I opened a cabinet and saw one.
I do understand your fear. Your first order of business is to kill/eliminate all mice inside the RV. Then about the same time, take measures to keep them from ever entering. This can be a full time job if you are in an area with high mouse populations. I know because I am and have been fighting them for years. Regardless of fear, just the thought, droppings or other reasons, they can do very costly damage by chewing wires in hard to reach places. They chewed a $3 data cable in my HVAC system which cost me $500 before it was over with.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #32

I scream like a little girl when I see mice too. I really scream when I see a rat. (On the farm we get the occasional rat) I've heard that mice will not chew through steel wool so after the exterminator gets all the mice out crawl all over the bottom and outside of your camper and plug any holes you see with steel wool. Hopefully you find them all but, even if you don't it can't harm to slow the buggers down.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #33

Gulf Streamers Club
The wife was looking at something on tee vee the other day and "they", whoever they are, said to use oil of peppermint on cotton balls. The mooses do not like the smell or something like that. As I was working on a valve at the time we soaked three or four and threw them in the under belly. No more mooses........yet anyway.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Peppermint oil does work, the little buggers hate it. Gramma use to keep peppermint plants growing all around her house to keep them away and it worked.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #35

Put peppermint oil on the steel wool.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
cant argue with gramma
Old 12-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
We have used peppermint oil for this purpose. Wife did research and mice can't stand peppermint. It's easy for the homeowner to be around also. Worked like a charm. Get it at a health food store.
Good Hunting
Larry
Old 12-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #38

Thank you all for your input, Things are Looking Up.

I removed a nest in one of my Heating duct hoses that fed the bedroom, caught what I think is the Last of them in the compartment were all the activity was.

This 4 inch hose ran across the coach up high between the black and grey water tanks, so it was a trick to get it snaked out of there, replace a section about 5 feet long and snake it back up through and across and make the connections.

Brought the Coach to work and Used my Smoke machine to fill the compartments with Smoke to find anywhere the little bastards could enter and found a 3x3 hole in the framing that they were entering through.

Made a Plate to seal it off, sealed up a few more cracks between sheet metal and framing.

Put more Freshcab in the compartments and will keep an Eye on things.

Ted.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
This is how to do it.

Disassemble MH and re-assemble making it water tight. To test, take to boat landing and drive it in. If it floats you're good to go. Take to these guys and have it treated.

http://www.mouse-free.com/how-to-treat-your-vehicle/

Build a concreate pad with 24" rat wall. Build 2 perimeter fences. On the outside perimeter plant peppermint plants and erect 4 "tree" stands.

Within the first fence keep 4 Jack Russells (can subsitute Rat Terriors or your favorite "Rat" dog). Inside fence, 6 outsite cats.

Put Fresh Cab (can substute with any granulated Bobcat Urine product) into small burlap bags and place on engine. Sprinkle the rest around all the tires.

In each bay place 2 paper plates. One filled with mothballs (you don't need the whole moth), the other with cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil.

Now inside, place small paper plates in each cabinette with cottonballs and peppermimt oil. Now you'll want at least 6 mouse traps stratigically placed around baited with peanut butter. Since the cats can't get in, leave some De-con out. Now fill a 5 gal bucket half full of water and float corn meal (yellow is preferred here) on top of the water. Now secure a 2x4 from the floor to the top of the bucket. If the critters want the corn meal, or the water after eating the De-con, they will jump in the bucket and drown.

Back to the tree stands. Hire 4 teenagers with .22 cal rifles. Unless they're crack shots, they should be equipped with scopes. You can test their abilities during their orientation where you must be sure they can distinguish between a cat, dog and mouse.

I can't guarentee this will work 100%, but chances are you'll be pretty safe.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37
Thank you all for your input, Things are Looking up.....

about 5 feet long and snake.
Ted.
Yep - 1 5 foot long snake outta do er.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The mooses do not like the smell or something like that
Moose can squeeze through a hole as small as 3 feet wide so make sure everything is sealed up
Old 12-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
This is how to do it.

Disassemble MH and re-assemble making it water tight. To test, take to boat landing and drive it in. If it floats you're good to go. Take to these guys and have it treated.

How to Treat Your Vehicle - Keeping Mice Out of RVs | Mouse Free

Build a concreate pad with 24" rat wall. Build 2 perimeter fences. On the outside perimeter plant peppermint plants and erect 4 "tree" stands.

Within the first fence keep 4 Jack Russells (can subsitute Rat Terriors or your favorite "Rat" dog). Inside fence, 6 outsite cats.

Put Fresh Cab (can substute with any granulated Bobcat Urine product) into small burlap bags and place on engine. Sprinkle the rest around all the tires.

In each bay place 2 paper plates. One filled with mothballs (you don't need the whole moth), the other with cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil.

Now inside, place small paper plates in each cabinette with cottonballs and peppermimt oil. Now you'll want at least 6 mouse traps stratigically placed around baited with peanut butter. Since the cats can't get in, leave some De-con out. Now fill a 5 gal bucket half full of water and float corn meal (yellow is preferred here) on top of the water. Now secure a 2x4 from the floor to the top of the bucket. If the critters want the corn meal, or the water after eating the De-con, they will jump in the bucket and drown.

Back to the tree stands. Hire 4 teenagers with .22 cal rifles. Unless they're crack shots, they should be equipped with scopes. You can test their abilities during their orientation where you must be sure they can distinguish between a cat, dog and mouse.

I can't guarentee this will work 100%, but chances are you'll be pretty safe.
Well there ya go.