Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
This is how to do it.

Disassemble MH and re-assemble making it water tight. To test, take to boat landing and drive it in. If it floats you're good to go. Take to these guys and have it treated.

How to Treat Your Vehicle - Keeping Mice Out of RVs | Mouse Free

Build a concreate pad with 24" rat wall. Build 2 perimeter fences. On the outside perimeter plant peppermint plants and erect 4 "tree" stands.

Within the first fence keep 4 Jack Russells (can subsitute Rat Terriors or your favorite "Rat" dog). Inside fence, 6 outsite cats.

Put Fresh Cab (can substute with any granulated Bobcat Urine product) into small burlap bags and place on engine. Sprinkle the rest around all the tires.

In each bay place 2 paper plates. One filled with mothballs (you don't need the whole moth), the other with cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil.

Now inside, place small paper plates in each cabinette with cottonballs and peppermimt oil. Now you'll want at least 6 mouse traps stratigically placed around baited with peanut butter. Since the cats can't get in, leave some De-con out. Now fill a 5 gal bucket half full of water and float corn meal (yellow is preferred here) on top of the water. Now secure a 2x4 from the floor to the top of the bucket. If the critters want the corn meal, or the water after eating the De-con, they will jump in the bucket and drown.

Back to the tree stands. Hire 4 teenagers with .22 cal rifles. Unless they're crack shots, they should be equipped with scopes. You can test their abilities during their orientation where you must be sure they can distinguish between a cat, dog and mouse.

I can't guarentee this will work 100%, but chances are you'll be pretty safe.
You forgot the Bounce dryer sheets.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW

And the 5 foot snake.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #45

My MH is parked at the rear of our property which backs up to an open field. When I had my fifth wheel the mice seemed to think it was a hotel set up just for them. I tried almost everything short of keep my cat in the RV.

When I got the new MH I was determined to eliminate the unwanted guests. Although it was a bit of work to set up, here is what I did.

I built a chicken wire fence about 10" high all the way around the MH. The bottom of the fence is about a half inch above the ground. I used stakes in the ground with insulators to hold up the fence. I bought an electric fence energizer and hooked it to the chicken wire.

I realize this option is not for everyone, but it works for me, no more unwanted visitors, plus it keeps my male dogs from marking the tires.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
My MH is parked at the rear of our property which backs up to an open field. When I had my fifth wheel the mice seemed to think it was a hotel set up just for them. I tried almost everything short of keep my cat in the RV.

When I got the new MH I was determined to eliminate the unwanted guests. Although it was a bit of work to set up, here is what I did.

I built a chicken wire fence about 10" high all the way around the MH. The bottom of the fence is about a half inch above the ground. I used stakes in the ground with insulators to hold up the fence. I bought an electric fence energizer and hooked it to the chicken wire.

I realize this option is not for everyone, but it works for me, no more unwanted visitors, plus it keeps my male dogs from marking the tires.
Too bad you didn't set up a camara to see the looks on the mice faces when they touch the wire.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
Too bad you didn't set up a camara to see the looks on the mice faces when they touch the wire.
Now that's funny
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post

Since they don't work, I didn't include them. However, once you give up fighting them, they do love them to make their nests out of.

My post was certainly tongue-in-cheek, but the basic info does work. Been fighting them for years
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Since they don't work, I didn't include them
Ok some say bounce sheets work and some say they don't. Could this be the difference between fresh and old bounce sheets or do they simply not work?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #50

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The dryer sheets do nothing to keep the little varmints out, but it does make their fur softer, and they do smell better from using the sheets to make their nest. Just my experience from using Bounce.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post

Ok some say bounce sheets work and some say they don't. Could this be the difference between fresh and old bounce sheets or do they simply not work?
Mice can hardly see and they live by their nose. They don't like new smells and that can repell them. However, if that smell is eventually found not to a theat, they do get use to it. Unlike peppermint which they are allergic to and preditor urine which they always avoid. Ammonia does simulate this and also works around tires outside the coach.

I thought same as you at one time and replaced the sheets ever week, just didn't work after a month.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #52

Gulf Streamers Club
Bounce Dryer Sheets come in multiple 'flavors' Perhaps using 'Fresh Lavender' would repel, while 'Meadows & Rain' or 'Outdoor Fresh' smells too much like home. And of course what would be the point of using 'Bounce Free' with no scent at all?
I would suggest storing RV jacked up on 10' long greased poles with those cones on the poles like used on ship mooring lines. That'll keep the suckers at bay until they learn to paraglide down from nearby trees.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
What can I put around the tires to block the mice.? I'm assuming that if only the tires are touching the ground this would be their entry point?
Old 12-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #54

This year I have used the old tried and true spring mouse traps baited with a dab of peanut butter on top of all 6 tires, and in the electrical bay since we keep it plugged in.. We'll see how that works, even though it's in a garage... (4 traps also in the corners of the garage to catch the greedy ones !!)
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #55

While camping in Or. our schnauzer started going nuts around the floor vents, the next day I noticed mice droppings all over the ice chest which was under the trailer. A park ranger loaned me a couple of live traps (they do not believe in killing them) and I got several a night for a couple of nights. I got into town and purchased steel wool and sticky traps, I packed steel wool into spot that would take it and as a side note I found out I had a broken shock. The sticky traps worked great and I no longer had a mice problem. The mice did not ever come inside, I think the dog kept them out.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #56

I forgot to mention the tires, put a sticky trap on top of each tire.