Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have started training them and booking them at holiday parties. The cajun group is always a hit at Mardi Gras.

George here has been booked solid the past two weeks and right up through Christmas Eve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4094687543.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	30711

flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #58

The guy that owns the yard told me he builds a little box and sits it under anything he wants to keep mice out of - even under his airplane. You put a small hole in one side and in the box you put the bait - in solid stick form. You use this as they eat it right there and do not take it with them as they do the pellets. I made four boxes and put them by each wheel and set of wheels in the back. I have replaced the bait in one of the boxes so far and the others have been nibbled on. Haven't seen any evidence of mice in the coach so far. Fingers crossed!!!!!

Old 12-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #59

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
My MH is parked at the rear of our property which backs up to an open field. When I had my fifth wheel the mice seemed to think it was a hotel set up just for them. I tried almost everything short of keep my cat in the RV.

When I got the new MH I was determined to eliminate the unwanted guests. Although it was a bit of work to set up, here is what I did.

I built a chicken wire fence about 10" high all the way around the MH. The bottom of the fence is about a half inch above the ground. I used stakes in the ground with insulators to hold up the fence. I bought an electric fence energizer and hooked it to the chicken wire.

I realize this option is not for everyone, but it works for me, no more unwanted visitors, plus it keeps my male dogs from marking the tires.
would it work to just place the wire on the ground and charge it or would it make contact and short? I'm thinking, just drive your MOHO onto the chicken wire and plug it in , give yourself a 3-4 foot skirt they have to get past...I'm not electricity clever... would it work if touching the ground?
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #60

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
would it work to just place the wire on the ground and charge it or would it make contact and short? I'm thinking, just drive your MOHO onto the chicken wire and plug it in , give yourself a 3-4 foot skirt they have to get past...I'm not electricity clever... would it work if touching the ground?
Electric fences work by charging the wire and allowing the animal touching it be the path to ground, completing the circuit and causing a 'slight correction.' Placing the wire on the ground would complete the circuit and cause no current in the animal touching the wire.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #61

Use winter glue traps from Gempler. Works in cold/hot weather. Had a varmint in my basement/man cave. Bought four Mice Cubes to see what it was. Traps them inside alive but you need to check it everyday else they will starve to death. Caught a shrew, took it outside and turned it loose. Not sure how many miles you would need to take a mouse so they don't return.

Use the glue traps down on the farm where I park my RV's. They don't chew off anything. They are stuck and every move makes it worse. I don't like killing them because they are doing what's natural, trying to survive but I don't need $$$ of expenses because they chew up wire, etc.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
The very best way is to block all entrances. This can be time consuming, but not expensive. Get yourself a few bags of steel wool (they won't chew through it) and plug every place they can sqeeze in. Start in all the lower cabinettes where there are wire, plumbing and duct runs. Generally speaking, upper cabinettes are safe unless a wire run comes from the side wall or ceiling.

Then check all bays for places they could enter the coach or the basement. Finally, a good inspection from underneath looking for gaps around vent or drain hoses and wire runs.

Once you think you have it, set several traps with peanut butter inside the coach. This will let you know if you missed a place or two.

Depending on your bay doors, you may not be able to keep them out of there. For that moths balls work well.

This stuff also works well in the bays or sprinkle around MH and/or tires.

fox and bobcat urine - critter repellent
Snap traps have always eliminated any mice that got into compartments before they reached the inside of the coach but I like the Fox-Bobcat sprinkles. That should keep the chipmonks away from the felt lining on my vinyl wheel covers while camping in National Forest campgrounds. They almost ruined two of my brand new covers before I realized what the "cute" little boggers were doing in our campsite last fall. Nice easy available nest building material I guess.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Travel more, park less. Might help.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post
It seams snap trap are the most humane got one this morning near the rear tire.
I have 8 snap traps 2 around each tire/duals.

I cleaned the MH thoroughly, inside all the cabinets and every crack and crevice I can find, filled 3 holes with HD expanding Foam, place dryer sheets inside and moth balls in the lower compartments.

So I am on a mission to find a solution, I have a cat but my wife won't let her outside in fear of coyotes eating her.

Thank you all for the suggestions.
Be careful with snap traps outside the coach if you have any favorable birds in the area. I set a trap under my coach right beside a tire a few years ago in a campground cause I saw a mouse run through the grass. The next morning I had a gray cat bird in the trip, never tried that again. Still like to find a solution where I could use the traps outside but not catch things I didn't want to. Currently I just try to catch them in a compartment before they reach the inside.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:09 AM   #65

iRV2 No Limits Club
Although this was written for structures it easily adaptable RV. The principles are the same.
This article was written by a well recognized authority on pests:

ENY-243/MG218: Non-Chemical Rodent Control
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Although this was written for structures it easily adaptable RV. The principles are the same.
This article was written by a well recognized authority on pests:

ENY-243/MG218: Non-Chemical Rodent Control
Very useful, Thank You.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #67

I heard that Irish Spring Soap to mice is like garlic to a vampire. This winter we parked our coach on a lot which is on the outskirts of our little town. As is is out in the open and surrounded by a park and fields I was worried that we could get mice. I went out and purchased some Irish Spring and my husband placed them throughout the coach and in some of the basement compartments. We just unwrapped our coach for a trip down south next week and I am happy to report that we had no uninvited guests.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
I heard that Irish Spring Soap to mice is like garlic to a vampire. This winter we parked our coach on a lot which is on the outskirts of our little town. As is is out in the open and surrounded by a park and fields I was worried that we could get mice. I went out and purchased some Irish Spring and my husband placed them throughout the coach and in some of the basement compartments. We just unwrapped our coach for a trip down south next week and I am happy to report that we had no uninvited guests.
Um,,, but , there is no such thing as vampires so maybe that means the soap thing doesn't really work.