Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Best way to polish aluminum wheels?

My wheels are desperate for attention so I thought I would get out my 6" orbital polisher and a foam circular pad dabbed with some Mothers' aluminum polish and giver her a whirl. Any other approaches or polish that you would recommend to do this labor intensive process?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Just also get a round red Mother's foam polishing ball also. It is a lot of work, as you know. Finish off with a good polish that has good protection, such as DriWash. It works for me.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #3

Orbital polisher and a foam circular pad dabbed with some Mothers' aluminum polish and a beer and you are good to go.
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #4

Mother's and a lot of patience/hard work
Old 12-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #5

Flitz polishing compound
wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I also use Flitz polish. I don't think you can go wrong with either Mother's or Flitz, but I like the Flitz buffing ball better. It holds up better/longer than the Mother's ball.

I polished my rims on my Diplomat for years, yet I always saw some with a higher luster. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I was polishing like Tim the Tool Man Taylor.....more is better. I would put a large gob of polish on and then spend 30 minutes trying to get the black residue off. Eventually I learned that you can do an entire 22.5 wheel with about a thimble or two of polish. If you're wheels haven't been done in a while, you'll need to do them several times. Polish with a small amount until you buff away all the black residue and then do it again.

Once you get the wheels to shine, the secret to keeping them shiny is using tire covers when the coach is parked in storage. Not only does it protect the tires, but it keeps the weather off of the polished wheels. Once you getting them looking nice, it only takes a few minutes per wheel to polish.

Here are mine after I figured it out.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirishman View Post
Flitz polishing compound
X3. Flitz is way easier to use than Mothers. If you have a newer coach, your wheels might be coated from the factory. Using any type of abrasive polish will remove the protective coating
Old 12-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don, did you remove the wheels to do that or how did you get around the lug nuts.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is there an easy way to determine if my wheels are coated? Would an 08 HR Endeavor have the coating on the accuride wheels?
Thank you, Brian.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #10

A pro did mine with Mother's all by hand. You can remove the lug nut caps by pulling with a channel locks pliers. If using a buffer, use a slow speed. Like said, sit on a cushioned stool and just go slow.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My Accurides have a label affixed to them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00571-20130612-2124.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	81788  
Old 12-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
My Accurides have a label affixed to them.

They should have the label on each wheel. If they are in really bad shape you may try some Jeweler's Rouge. Once you polish them out be sure to keep up with them.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
If your wheels are in desperate shape, as you described, then they must not be clear coated.
If they are coated, they just need cleaning and wiping dry.
If they are not, there is no shortcut. Patience is needed, as you polish them.
Have fun.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSullivan View Post
My wheels are desperate for attention so I thought I would get out my 6" orbital polisher and a foam circular pad dabbed with some Mothers' aluminum polish and giver her a whirl. Any other approaches or polish that you would recommend to do this labor intensive process?
Tim,
Well Sir, first off, if what you're using is what I think you're using, a "Random-orbital" polisher,?, It's a very poor tool for you to use, to accomplish the results you'd like to see. The actual tool needed is a rotational pad, not random-orbital. The speed is the key here. Random orbitals are for application and removal of wax on paint jobs and, sanding in other situations.

The Mothers ball and other brands, on a drill motor is what most of these folks are talking about.

You see, aluminum, as in what is the majority of the chemical makeup of your wheels, oxidizes as we speak. When allowed to go un-checked, it becomes more and more dull and, the surface becomes more and more "course" as time goes on. So, by polishing the surface, you rid that surface of the aluminum oxidation and, you are making the surface finer and finer.

Picture it as "Mountains" when you start with really badly corroded wheels. Then, as you work at it, you come to "Valleys". Now, as you keep on at it, you eventually end up with a lake with no wind on it. Otherwise known as a "glass" surface. And that's when it ends up like the pictures below.

Without a doubt, IT'S LABOR, PERIOD! There is no magic elixir in making alloy wheels have a mirror finish. So, there's a number of products out there help with the process. Power is nice, if you have the correct tools and rouges, polishes, pastes and the lot. I've done a few zillion miles of aluminum polishing and, the effort put into it, shows in the end result. I've used Semi-Chrome, Mothers, Zepher-40 (Costco online product at the time), and a whole host of other metal polishes.

As for those that have coatings, there's not much anyone can do about those. If the coating becomes chipped, which is a pretty hard thing to do, and, you'd like to do something about it, "patching" the coating is almost frivolis because once air is introduced into or, under the original coating, it will continue to travel under the rest of the coating, slowly, but it will continue. So, there are chemicals out there that are alloy safe (Aircraft in particular) that will remove that coating and then, you've taken it upon yourself to keep that wheel polished.

Once a wheel is polished to an ultra-high luster, (Mirror finish) it will last considerably longer in between polishing sequences than if it weren't. Of course, that also depends on the atmosphere you reside in. Obviously the closer to the sea, i.e. salt air and saltier conditions, the more rapid the deterioration will progress.

So, in the end, get the right tools, the right pastes, polishes, liquids etc. and, take your time. The results will definitely be worth it. Oh, and one more thing. Removing the wheels for this service is by far, the best way to get the most efficient polishing done without the hinderance of the lug nuts and hub centers in the way. But, not many guys have the tools and equipment to remove those wheels and re-install them with the proper torque on the lug nuts etc. Those that do have the proper tools, know how valuable not having those components in the way while polishing is. Good luck.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote