Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #1

Best way to sell an RV

Hi!
I was looking for some tips on the best way to sell my RV. I put it on Craigslist in San Diego now. Is it better to sell on consignment? Are there nation wide sites that don't charge for an ad? Are any states better to sell in than others?

Thanks for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
Cannot really answer your question but I can share some things with you. We have been searching RVT, Traderonline and CraigsList for about a month now. An ad with plenty of pictures and a realistic statement of condition is really welcomed. If something doesn't work, say so up front. Make up your mind about the lowest acceptable price and add a cushion of 10-15% negotiating swag.

As a cash-in-hand buyer, I am really perturbed when I drive several hours to view a "pristine" coach that in reality appears to have been used as a corral for farm animals. You don't have to point out every tiny stain on the carpet, but be realistic with your description. A buyer will appreciate honesty more than anything else. Oh, and if you have a nice Monaco Dynasty or Sig at a tremendous price, call me.

RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #3

I sold a 2003 American Dream last year in seven weeks, Just sold a 2009 31 ft class C in three weeks. I took both to the dealer and let them do the work, the BIG difference is they can take a trade! Very pleased with both sales.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #4

Our recent experience was to use Craigslist, as well as, a local vehicle for sale newspaper type publication. We sold quickly for the price we wanted, but I am not certain we would ever do it again. In the month it took to sell we received 197 Craigslist emails that sounded legitimate enough that I called them back. Of those, 10 ended up looking, 4 test drove, and 1 bought. Many of the callers wanted to obnoxiously lecture me that my price was too high even after I told them the price was not negotiable, many others obviously had no money (wanted me to take note), and, I suspect a couple of others were looking to take a test drive and never come back. There were probably a dozen or so obvious scam attempts from the Craigslist ad that I ignored.

If you sell on consignment, or trade on another, or sell direct to a dealer you will get a lot less cash in your pocket. For us, though, I think next time we will sell on consignment, let the dealer take his percentage and deal with the looky lous and price hagglers, take less and consider it a payment for convenience. Good luck to you.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #5

We sold our 2005 Allegro Bus after a few months by advertising it on several of the free rv for sale sites. We paid for one site and never received a single inquiry. GOOGLE "free rv for sale sites" to get started.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can also list your RV for sale here in the site classifieds. Login - RV & Motorhome Classifieds Good luck to you.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #7

The dealer we dealt with does not take a percentage. I gave them a number that I would take for it and they called and said the check is in the mail..........two motorhomes sold with no hassles and I would definitely do it again.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #8

Thanks! I got one reply on Craigslist so far and it was a scam email. My RV is old and not too handsome on the outside, but we put a lot of work into it this year we've had it and inside is really nice and totally remodeled. I'll check out all your recommendations. Does anyone know if any states are particularly good to sell in? Like if not a lot of people buy in CA but many in AL? The thing I don't like about Craigslist is that it's limited to one city. :(
Old 11-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
srh

Monaco Owners Club
I have sold a couple of RVs and some high price cars. If you do not want to put up with the hassle of dealing with all kinds of people from those who want your RV for nothing to those who simply do not have the funds to buy then the best course is to either consign or trade. But be prepared to take a significant loss. For example, consignment will take from 15% and on up after their expenses. If you want to sell it yourself here is what has worked for me:
1. Have your RV cleaned thoroughly inside and out. Clean all the drawers and the storage compartments. If you can’t do it yourself, pay and have someone do it for you.
2. While it is cleaned take some pictures of the inside and outside – I would say a minimum of 50, 100 or more would be better
3. Concisely list the important features of your RV including any flaws. As has been said, be honest – prospective buyers like people that are honest and as a result you will attract real buyers
4. Arrive at a price that is attractive to the buyers – Just remember there are a lot of RVs for sale out there and you need to make yours special; appearance, price and honesty are very attractive for a prospective buyer. On good brand RVs MSRP less 10 to 15% depreciation per year will give you a good place to start what your RVs is worth. In my opinion, a lot of private sellers look and see what a similar RV is worth at a dealer lot, or they look and see what they paid for the RV three or four years ago, and come up with a price way too high. Remember, there is no incentive for a buyer to purchase your RV at the same price that he/she can buy it from a dealer. So, setting a realistic price is the key. It was said by someone that add 10-15% to what you would take as a minimum price. I would say, add no more than 5%. I have sold a C class motor home and recently a $54K car for the asking price. Another thing to consider in determining your asking price is to ask the dealer or a consigner what they would pay you for your RV. You can use that as a price reference.
5. Lastly, you need to put some paid ads to sell your RV. While there are some free sites that you can list your RV, but realistically, that all they are worth! Just think; there is no free lunch! If you are going to sell $50K+ RV, you have to invest some money in marketing it. RVT, RVSearch, and others are good examples. As you place your ad, consider paying for some special features. I think what sold my car in Autotrader recently was a premium listing that I paid $15 extra which highlighted and give my ad a high priority. While most paid sites will only allow a limited number of pictures, consider including an external link where you can list more pictures and detailed description including things like why you are selling your RV, etc.
6. Finally, your professional interaction with prospective buyers is of utmost importance. I know it is real tempting to respond rudely to some one’s illogical comment or offer, but take the high road and respond to in an affirmative way. I recently saw a car on eBay that was not sold so I contacted the seller and made him an offer – more than the highest bid he had received, but he was so rude, in my opinion, that even though I probably would have paid what he was asking, but his attitude turned me off. Even then, I wrote him a nice e-mail complimenting him on his car and said that I wouldn’t consider paying what he was asking for. He responded to my comment with a phrase made up of six letters and that included his signature.

Good luck with your selling venture. I hope this helps!

SRH
Old 11-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #10

Thanks for all the great advice! My RV is more in the $7 than $54 range though :-/

When I bought it we didn't see many dealers who sold RVs in that price range or that age (94). I hope I can find someone to do it on consignment, but I guess since its older maybe the dealers wouldn't think it would be worth it. :(
Old 11-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Sofiatalvik,
Many of the points I have made (like cleaning, pictures, price, marketing) apply to selling an RV of any price. With the hunting season around the corner, your RV would a great appeal to some hunters. It will take time but be patient!
All the best!
SRH