Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

Best way to start....

My wife and I have started backpacking last few years. Our normal trip is hike in, stay a night or two and hike out. We have been discussing getting a “base camp” to extend our trips. We usually like a shower and soft bed after couple days.

My question is, has anyone started with a class b to see if the Rv life is for them before buying a larger class a?

We love the space and luxury of the class a units but want to spend a year or so making sure it’s for us before making that large of purchase.

Any feedback is appreciated.
aguyintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would look at a used Class C for a bit more room & comfort. Then if you want more room move up to a Class A. A Class B may not give you as many of the comforts you are looking for in their limited space.
It might be confusing that Class B's are the smallest usually on a van chassis; Class C's are cabover on larger chassis; Class A's are the biggest.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:55 PM   #3

Thanks Frantz.

I should have elaborated. We also like the class A for the towed car option. Set up camp in an area and then tool around in the toad.
Class c is to big to move around easily but not big enough for toad.
This brought me to the class b.

Thanks for your reply��
aguyintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
A class C is very capable of pulling a toad.. we race and I see many class C's hauling enclosed car trailers. Just read up on towing capacity, most motorhomes are usually rated to tow about 5,000 lbs which is generally fine for a mid sized car.
lorim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:05 PM   #5

I would look at a quality used class A. You can pick one up for under $20K and get the whole package for try. If you don't like it you will be able to recoup a big % of it. Or you can then move on to an upgrade. A class B will require a much larger investment and less when you sell it. There are plenty of quality used class As to try without a huge loss or Investment. And why start with a B where square footage is so minimal?
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #6

A smaller class C, 24 - 26, will have plenty of towing capacity for a toad. Since this is an experiment, a class c will be cheaper than either class b or class a for a given model year. Although not huge, a class c dry bath is a step above a class b wet bath.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #7

To give you an idea of used prices and floorplans, study this site:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...rtBy=price+asc

The main place is in Houston and they have smaller operations elsewhere. I see you have a Livingston address - closeby.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #8

I RV because I like to hike.

RV gets me to great hiking places. Tents used to be fun, but now. I want a warm shower, a cold beer, AC, and a nice bed at the end of the hike. The RV is my portable hotel.

Consider a compact RUV, like my Axis.

An excellent base camp for hiking.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #9

Class B

We've looked at them and for what you get they are very very expensive. Class C gives you more room and sometimes doesn't seem to be that much more, money wise.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #10

Honestly for what you are describing I would look for a 4wd class C that is capable of pulling a toad. Thinking a used one and be prepared to buy if you see one out there. I have seen them, but they are rare. I seriously considered one that had the Ford 7.3 diesel in it before I settled on my class A. I believe it was a 2001. If the body on the C had been in better shape I would have gone for it. Good Luck with your hunt.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Hope you find the perfect rig for your adventures! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #12

Before getting a class B, learn what a wet bathroom is. Fine for a weekend, but quite a strain for much longer with two people...
Old 08-19-2019, 03:04 AM   #13

I started with a used travel trailer. I already had a pick-up with the towing package so it was a cheap way to find out if I liked going the RV route as a way to visit family. After a couple years moved up to the small class A I have now.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:37 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
First off welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. I have to agree with others in that you should be looking at a Class C for what you want to do. We started off with a 25ft. Class C for our first year or so and towed a car with it and had no problems. Moved up to a Class A last year for the extra room.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote