RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #1

Best wildlife experience

My best wildlife experience happened in Alaska. We were staying in an RV park in Ninilchik and went fishing down in Homer. On the drive back to Ninilchik, I came around a corner on the highway and there was a BA moose standing cross ways in the middle of the road. She was stopped and her head was turned so she could stare directly at me as I came to a stop. There was a car on the other side that had already stopped.

The moose waited until I came to a complete stop, then turned to look at the other car that had stopped on the other side. She then turned her head to look behind her and out came two baby moose. The babies crossed the road and when they cleared the clearing and into the bush, the mama looked at the other car, then me, then walked the rest of the way across the road and into the bush.

I wish I had my video camera (2005) with me, but I didn't. I now have a dash cam, phone cam, iPad cam, here a cam, there a cam, everywhere a cam cam.

What was your best?

Back to morning brew . . .

CalCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #2

Not sure best but ,elk hunting walking thru a clear cut at dawn, moose with baby moose comes up over the berm, 10 feet maybe, not a tree around, i slowly backed off and it went on its way. Them things are big.

ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #3

... another moose experience ..... we were boondocking in Alaska and since it doesn't really get dark in the evening, I was sitting and reading a mystery novel without any light on. I was deeply engrossed in a tense part of the book. The windows were open. I saw movement out of the corner of my eyes. I turned to the window and a moose was staring at me. Talk about shivers down my spine! I didn't want to move to scare it away so we looked at each other for a while then he went to the front windshield and continued to stare. Then he just walked around our space for a while and left. An awesome experience!!

.... and yet another ..... doing a float trip down the Snake River in Grand Teton Nat'l Park and two moose were in the water as we floating by them.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #4

We took the mother in law to our local wine country. Driving through the back roads we had a baby mountain lion dash across the street in front of us. The bank was too steep for it to climb so it ran along the side of the road in besides us. After a couple of minutes mom appeared and grabbed the kitten by the neck and carried her to safety.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #5

Sorry, no moose. I have a story about someone else's moose though. Timely, too.
It was Halloween on the Kenai Penninsula. The punkins were glowing on the fence and the kids were in from trick-r-treating. Outside, a moose and calf were in the garden rooting about for harvest leftovers. They wandered here, and they wandered there, sniffing and eating cornstalks, zucchinis, and cabbages. A peaceful scene of moosey plunder.

That changed though when baby moose found the lit punkins. He stuck his head in one and got burned. With his muzzle muzzled, he screamed for momma, and as you know, the only thing more obnoxious than a frantic mother moose is most people's X's. This one was no exception

Momma moose went to bellowing and thrashing, intent on stomping whatever was assaulting her calf. The dog charged out the doggy door intent on asserting his territorial mandate. Momma moose started stomping, and the dog decided the better place for him was under the upstairs bed.

So the dog retreated through the doggy door. Momma moose, being too big to follow by that route, took out the back door and frame, and pressed the pursuit through the livingroom and up the stairs. Dad was up by now and met the moose at the mezzanine landing with a Savage Fox, side-by-side 12-gauge. As the dog scooted past into the bedroom, he let the moose have a round of 000 buckshot, and a slug, as quick as the single trigger would allow.

The moose staggered backwards and fell over the bannister, destroying it. It didn't stop falling until it was in the basement. The family stared down the hole in the livingroom floor in disbelief -- the moose had fallen onto the chest freezer dedicated to venison. It was deceased. By that I mean the moose and the freezer.

Dad phoned it in and there was an investigation by Fish and Wildlife. He didn't have a current hunting license, so although he shot the moose in defense of life and property, they confiscated the meat.

As long as it's Alaska, it's hard to have a favorite wildlife encounter. These are some everyday scenes from around Sitka.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eagle encounter 1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	839.9 KB
ID:	263833   Click image for larger version

Name:	bikewhale3 dumb.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	825.1 KB
ID:	263834  

Name:	sounding5-dumb.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	263835   Click image for larger version

Name:	bear7-1 1dumb.jpg
Size:	488.8 KB
ID:	263836  

Name:	BEHIND YOU dumb.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	479.2 KB
ID:	263837   Click image for larger version

Name:	diving eagle detail dumb.jpg
Size:	647.5 KB
ID:	263838  

rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #6

Custer State Park as seen through the door screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2028.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	263862  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:00 PM   #7

I was not RV'ing in all of them but... too many to list.
From AK to FL and all points in between. Moose, Elk, Bear, Mountain Lion, Rattle Snake, Fox, Wolf, Coyote, Gator, Burmese python, Iguana...isn't it fun?
Old 10-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #8

In Valdez AK. The road leading into Valdez has a bike path next to it leading out of Valdez for 10 miles or so.

For some exercise I rode the bike trail on my ebike. About 5 miles out of town I see a brown bear (grizzly) right next to the bike path partially hidden by some bushes about 25 yards ahead of me. As I was stopping the bike the bear rose up on his hind legs to get a better look. I turned tailed and put that ebike battery to good use.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #9

About 5 miles south of Liard Hot Springs on the Alaska Highway we watched a very large grizzly starting to dismember a road killed buffalo about 10 feet off the pavement. Nothing was going to disturb that guy's meal.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #10

On our trip to Alaska this summer we were staying at Teklanika campground in Denali NP. While standing in a neighbors campsite we were surprised by a yearling moose running past us on the campground road.
But our real surprise came when a grizzly bear rush past fifteen feet away from us hot on his tail. We refer to it as our National Geographic moment.
Nrbsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #11
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Wow! My sharing a campfire with a coyote does not compare to the above posts.

But I did get awakened by a black bear snorting into my ear through the tent wall once. I guess I smelled bad.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:14 PM   #12

Glacier national park heading up from east side about 10 years ago.

Came around the corner snd saw about a dozen big horn sheep blocking the road. Suddenly two began slamming heads...at first only solid butts but soon they were full force....sounded like gunshots.

The whole bunch began drifting towards my rv and then right next to the coach and still the two going at each other full force. After a while they just continued slowly down the road and out of sight.
Fogbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #13
tcg

Pictures or it never happened.

These were all taken on various hikes we've taken in Florida, all of them were in the wild except for the x-rated turtles. Those two went on for at least 20 minutes and were very vocal. It was the world famous Shell Factory in North Fort Meyers.

The Water Moccasin/Cottonmouth was about 5 feet from us on the trail. The alligator was less then 20 feet.

Both of them made us nervous but we just stopped, looked at them, took a few photos and kept walking.

The white squirrel is not an albino, it's a very rare eastern grey squirrel with a different gene. There are actually several at Ochlockonee River State Park in Florida.

The Piebald deer was at the same park.

The rest are just some animals we encountered as we wander around the places we visit. We like to find out of the way trails where no one else is around. A lot better wildlife than the touristy trails.

We were on one trail in Florida once that had a warning sign at the trailhead that warned of bears and black panther that was sighted. We ended up pretty deep in that one and walking out after dark. No bears or panthers but we did see panther tracks and an alligator that was a little too close.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0169_result.JPG
Size:	637.6 KB
ID:	264025   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0520_result.JPG
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	264026  

Name:	DSC_9872_result.JPG
Size:	708.2 KB
ID:	264027   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9904_result.jpg
Size:	705.8 KB
ID:	264028  

Name:	DSC_0557_result.JPG
Size:	775.6 KB
ID:	264029   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0579_result.JPG
Size:	769.8 KB
ID:	264030  

Name:	DSC_9940_result.jpg
Size:	713.7 KB
ID:	264031   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-12-02 15.17.56_result.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	740.5 KB
ID:	264032  

tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #14

Came around a curve and saw this big fellow... Then 2 more.. and looked down the slope and saw 6 more....
Rocky Mountain National Park last month..

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7915 (2).jpg
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	264034  

hedhunter9 is offline   Reply With Quote