Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #1

Bet this is a first! And tragic!!

So we have some friends who just picked up their new coach from a dealer in Orange County. They had a little drive for their first shake down heading to a RV park for a little R&R. DW was following the coach in a car.

The motor home hit a bump and out from underneath the coach fell two kittens onto the freeway. Horrible scene and very horrifying to the wife as both cats were killed. Shaken they get to their destination and I just heard this morning that another cat was underneath the coach. Apparently several had climbed up into or onto the frame of the 43" DP. This morning they heard meowing and realized there was another feline still on board. Just heard from them that they were trying to capture the stowaway.

Incredible story IMO and very tragic for both the deceased cats and the poor wife who had to witness it all.

Now, I bet this is a first. You wouldn't think to include a pet search during the PPI. Pretty sad.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think you're right, this HAS to be a first!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #3

It is not a first. Many years ago while towing my boat to Lake Havasu I had a coach in front of me suddenly drop a small cat right out from underneath it onto the freeway lane in front of me. I could not believe my eyes and it was disturbing to see this little thing sliding and clawing with no hope in sight. Cats and creatures will climb up in there so beware.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My brother was an auto mechanic. He found a kitten one day under the hood of a car that he was to work on. He adopted it and it was a great family pet.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When cold weather, cats will get under the hood of a car or other equipment for the warmth. With bad outcomes sometimes. We used to pound on the hood a couple times before starting the engine.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:27 PM   #6

Definitely NOT the first......cats, squirrels, mice and other critters have been climbing in engine compartments forever.

After spending 2 hrs. under the hood day before yesterday repairing/slicing/wrapping chewed up wiring I am not very sympathetic about some feral cats or other nuisance animals.

So far I have trapped, trying to set up under my shed, front porch and under house :
13 skunks, bees making 7 even combs, 5 squirrels, and 5 cats.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
When in college, our son went to the shelter to adapt a cat. The one he chose had two huge scars down his left flank. Seems it was cold and he climbed on a car engine to get warm. Then the car owner got in and drove eight miles the the next town...where the cat got down...and the driver took him to the animal hospital.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:38 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to TripleE
We found 3 kittens in the slide area of our motorhome. We were in Arkansas when we found them, could hear the meow's from inside. Couldn't find the mother. The babies didn't even have their eyes open! The people at the campground helped us get them out and kept them. Really surprised us! It was cold outside so we assume the mother put them in there for warmth.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #9

Cat

Not a first.

Got a call from an elderly lady customer on a bitter cold morning because of a squealing noise under the hood. She shut it off and said she wouldn't restart it until I found out what the noise was. Lifted the hood and found what was left of a cat that crawled in the engine compartment for the heat off the engine. The squeal was the cat in the fan belts when the car was started.

Took the car to a local car wash to have the engine compartment steam cleaned.

C.B.
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #10

Carry along mouse control.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #11

We once had a large snake go up into our engine compartment to get warm. We turned the engine on and let it run until it for warm and the snake left.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I'll bet if they catch that kitten it will have a new home..
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote