Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #1

Hello Yall! I am a newbie..just joined last night....my hubby and I are retired and looking to buy a MH before Christmas...We've never owned one before...So we really don't know what to look for...I'm wondering if yall think we'd get a better deal from someone just selling their's or from a used RV dealer?? We've been looking at PPL Used RV's in Houston....we're going to go there and look them over after Thanksgiving. Has anyone here ever dealt with that company??

Sorry So Many Questions...
Blanche
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #2

Hello Yall! I am a newbie..just joined last night....my hubby and I are retired and looking to buy a MH before Christmas...We've never owned one before...So we really don't know what to look for...I'm wondering if yall think we'd get a better deal from someone just selling their's or from a used RV dealer?? We've been looking at PPL Used RV's in Houston....we're going to go there and look them over after Thanksgiving. Has anyone here ever dealt with that company??

Sorry So Many Questions...
Blanche
Old 11-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Blanche, welcome to IRV2. You will find a lot of experience here.

I have had PPL do some repair work on my RVs and no problems. They seem to know what they are doing. As to where to get a better deal...it varies. Being first time shoppers, the old saying Buyer Beware is priemer.

Buying directly from an owner, they always see the unit to be worth more than anyone else. You will need to get an independent RV tech to check the coach over throughly. This will probably run about $200.00.

Buying from a dealer, you have to deal with the super slick RV sales types. In any case, get all promises in writting. They have a tendency to forget anything that is not written into the contract.

If you have never Rved before, I'd strongly suggest that you rent an Rv for a week and take a trip to see how you really like it. We have met somem folks that simply can not live that close together for any length of time. We have been Rving for over 20 years now and married for 37 plus and still love it. Currently living in our 5er while finishing a new house.

The big thing is not to set a dead line and rush into something that may not be right for you.

We have a number of the Texas Boomers group here in the Housston area that would be willing to meet with you and help in any way possible. My wife and I are available to offer any assistance we can. Just sent me a PM (private message) on this forum by clicking on my name on the left side of the screen. Select the topic to send a privsate message.

Hope this helps,
Ken

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #4

Blanche,

Congratulation on makinga decision to buy a motorhome. We have been rv'ing for 25 years and really enjoy it.

It is my feeling that buying from a private party is better than from a dealer, at least cost wise. Just need to make sure you get the service records (and insure it has been serviced according to the manufacturer's specs.) And as a previous posted stated, have it checked out.

Dealers will make up their used coaches a whole bunch over what they gave for it (and that is good business!) Your job as a purchaser is to get it for the best possible price. Same for private party purchase. Just do a lot of research and determine a fair price for the motorhome you want.

There are a number of online websites that you can do searches on and get a feel for the asking price. Again this is asking and when you find the one you want, you can make an offer significantly below asking.

Good luck in findin the right motorhome.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:46 PM   #5

Blanche, I had a friend who bought a motorhome at PPL in Houston and let them sell his old Class C. He was very pleased with the whole deal.

But as everyone else has indicated, research, research some more.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:33 AM   #6

Thank yall for all the responses....I'm so glad to know there's such a friendly place to come to for advice. My hubby and I have been together for 32 years and we are together every day now that we're both retired...Besides he'll probably just park the RV and go fishing...I won't see him till he can't fish no more!! I plan to do alot of reading and walking our furbabies.And Ken ....thanks for your offer ...might just take you up on it sometime....

Hugs, Blanche
Old 11-21-2006, 08:45 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
And check NADA Guides for current pricing on RV's.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:04 AM   #8

Blanche; So many of the people on this and other forums have purchased a Rv and then found out it was wrong for their style of living. Kitchen in the wrong place, bed too small/too big, bathroom too cramped, not enough horsepower, not enough storage room, or not in the right places. If we all could have saved that "wrong" purchase and bought what we ended up with we could have saved a lot of money. My suggestion is to really look, really ask questions, and go slow on that purchase. There is no perfect RV for everyone, but as you look, you will spot the things that could be a issue with your new adventure, before you pay out your money. Good Luck and have fun shopping.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:44 AM   #9

Blanche

As most have said before be careful! Floor plans, features can be deceiving etc.

I would make one suggestion though. Why don't you rent a small MH for a week or so, not that that is the one/size/model that you would purchase. It would just give you an idea of what you DIDN'T want as well as what you did like, keeping in mind that what you rent isn't what you would buy.

Renting one isn't cheep, however buying a RV then later deciding that it isn't what you want is going to cost you a LOT more.

Another suggestion- If you have a friend that has an RV go out with them for a weekend (even if you stay in a motel) but spend time with them in their RV. Also go to a nearby RV park, when you see somebody outside, (be brave) go up to them and ask questions, ask questions and finally ask more questions. You will find that most RV'rs are very friendly and outgoing and full of advice.

Check out- RV.net and Rvlivin.com

Subscribe to/purchase at a store-Trailer life and/or Motorhome magazines

Just my $0.02

May you have fair winds and following seas

Richard and Joyce

We have RV'ing for about 25 years it's the ONLY way to go!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #10

Blanch

I just thought of something else- Don't be in any big rush to buy something before Christmas, remember there is more than one way to go.
Pull type of Traver Trailer
5th wheel (For tow vehicles gas or diesel)
Motor home (class c, class A, diesel,gas)
Old 11-22-2006, 04:11 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Blanche,
There is no problem with all the questions. All of us learn by helping each other.

I have been buying coaches since 1978. It took months for me to make the decision to buy my signature coach. The reason I buy a new coach is because my RVing requirements have changed and the current coach no longer meets my requirements. It takes me several weeks to settle in on a top ten list of deal braker requirements. Only then do I go shopping and then usually via the Internet. Please read my post that replies to your Diesel or Gas thread in the Motorhome section and General Discussion forum. I am a believer in making sure you know as much about yourself and your needs as anything else. Before you go shopping.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:16 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Blanche,
We are approaching the time of the year when RV shows are most plentiful. Between now and next March there are shows all over the country. What part of the country are you currently in? Shows offer the opportunity to understand what is available. Wether you buy new or used, RV shows are a good educational experience.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:40 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
I think you have received a lot of good ideas from others who responded. Our story is we spent the better part of this year looking. The very first thing DW and I decided was we would TAKE-OUR-TIME.
There is no hurry. I can't remember the links, but there are several excellent articles written by the most experienced folks that basically describe a myriad of things to consider.
We decided we were 'drivers' NOT 'parkers'. We also wanted a unit that would fit in my garage so that set the length and height requirement. Then we search floor plan options etc etc. After almost eight months we had a list of over 50 units to choose from.
Then looked at both dealer and individual, and for various reasons chose individual. I had done during that time a fairly extensive search, PPL motorhomes was one of my sources of used units and what they actually sold for. The one we finally purchased that seems to fit the bill for us I got well within one standard deviation of what they were going for.
A lot of folks who have these units are in the very 'un-enviable' position of being upside-down or the rig is worth less than what they have in it. If you would like more detailed information you can PM me and I will give you what I have.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #14

Welcom This can be such afun and exciting time Just sit down and jot down a few things that are important to the two of you and start looking The DW and I looked at more than 4oo campers last spring before we found the camper that fit us Take your time ,and find what you want

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote