RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #1

Better Mattress?

Hey,

So i have a terrible back and am a full time Newbie RVer, and the bed is killing me. I bought a memory foam gel topper and still no relief. I have been reading reviews on queen shorts and figure the best place to find a true review is on here. Can I please get some input on what is the best mattress replacement for an RV queen short?

Thanks in advance

Miss Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #2

Select number!

2psnapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:17 AM   #3

We got a mattress in a box. Night and day difference over what came with the unit. We both have bum backs.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #4

Do you really have a short queen? Can you get a standard queen in its place? If so start shopping at regular bed stores and pick the one that you like best.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #5

We bought a short queen foam for $150 from Amazon, Bought a new to us S&B house that was in worse condition than sold so we lived in RV for 3 months. Now my house bed is killing me. The foam mattress was cheap, is very supportive and we would buy it again. They have them in 6,8 and 10 inch thickness we got 8 inch and love it. So does my bad back.
Dee744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #6

Other than the mattress have you tried lidocaine patches? I see they are now over the counter. I've been using the prescription version for years and they make a big difference. Doesn't work on all back problems it depends on the cause. There is also lidocaine ointment and roller applicators.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:34 AM   #7

When we purchased our new Coachman, the first thing we did was replace the mattress.

We simply called a local mattress manufacturer, gave them our measurements. They said come on down, we will make you one.
Picked out a deluxe pillow top. Simply awesome, same as our house mattress. They sold us the mattress at wholesale price.

RV mattress suppliers in USA

Elkhart Bedding
Elkhart In
www.elkhartbedding.com

Foamcraft Inc.
Indianapolis In
www.foamcraftinc.com

HMC Mattress
Costa Mess Ca
www.hmcwest.com

Mobile Sleep Componets
Littleton Co
www.mobilesleepcomponets.com

Parklane RV Mattress
Tualatin Or
www.parklanervmattress.com

Slumber Ease Factory
Marysville Wa
Phone (425) 312-6432

Select Comfort Corp
North Minneapolis MN
www.sleepnumber.com

Slumber Sleep Mattress Factory
Marysville Wa
www.slumberease.com
fishchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think you can choose by what has worked for others - each of us have our own mattress preferences and often unique back support requirements. You really have to try for yourself.

That said, we bought a Brooklyn Bedding "mattress in a box" for the stick house and are very pleased. More comfortable for us than the Sealy Posterpedic purchased at a local store for about the same price. However, my daughter now has the 3 year old Sealy and loves it, so "your mileage may vary" certainly applies.

There are lots of sources for short queen mattresses, either online or through local stores that can custom-order the shorter size. Many areas have custom mattress factories/shops as well. Google "short queen mattress" and take your pick. A Sleep Number or similar air-adjustable mattress is also a contender - we used one in our Rv for several years.

You may be able to use a standard queen, just letting it hang over a few inches. That has the advantage of allowing you to buy anywhere and try them out in stores before purchase.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #9

Skyline Owners Group
Tossed out the short queen stock mattress in our TT and purchased one of these Zinus 10" mattress's from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Ultima-...3400424&sr=8-4

What an amazing difference!!!

We have a tempurpedic in the house and we would much rather sleep on the Zinus in the trailer than the one at home LOL.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #10

I use this mattress from Amazon. Works wonderfully for me, but I can't tell you if it will work for you or not. Like Gary said, a mattress is a personal thing. What works perfectly for me might be horrible for you.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #11

Any chance you can duplicate your home mattress if you like it? Even though it's not a short queen, it may fit with a little less walk-around room or, if it's foam, you can trim it to fit.

We have Tuft and Needle mattresses both at home and in the RV (we had it at home first). They have a great return policy so you can always try it at home first and, if you like it, trim it to fit your RV if necessary. We got one from Lowes and the second from Amazon.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a full size mattress cause I thought the one in there was. Mine is a slide out and when I pull it in is just pushes it in. I think this winter I will lift it up so it doesn't deform. But again up to you and how it is setup
Old 11-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #13

First, find out why you're back is hurting. Perhaps you can get some help on that.

Recommendations for bad backs state it can be worse if you lay flat. Try putting your back in a different position by elevating your knees with pillows or special foam pillows especially for that purpose. Experiment with elevating your head, also. Try not to sleep on your back but instead, your side. There are also back strengthening exercises. If you can take it, try ONE 800mg ibuprofen tablet at bedtime. Myself.. I have spinal stenosis and surgery was recommended to relieve the pressure.

I wouldn't go to the expense of a new mattress until you find out what's wrong with your back. Good luck.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger608 View Post
Tossed out the short queen stock mattress in our TT and purchased one of these Zinus 10" mattress's from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Ultima-...3400424&sr=8-4

What an amazing difference!!!
stinger608...That mattress looks good. Did it dampen the effects of movement from the other occupant? Our current RV mattress sleeps OK but I think the DW break dances in her sleep and it wakes me up multiple times during the night.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mattress