Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards
I am suggesting that I see no need for RV'ers not to park overnight in the spaces provided by Cracker Barrel if you ask first. You are assuming that the spaces are there only for RV'ers wishing to eat and run. I think they are there for both of us.... Overnighters and eat and run. If you get to Cracker Barrel and the RV spots are taken, you can go elsewhere or decouple and take 2 end to end spaces (Class A or C). I have gone to Cracker Barrel with the intention of eating dinner spending the night and eating breakfast and possibly renting a Book on Tape. The RV spots were all taken probably by eat and run RV'ers and they lost my business. There are two sides to most situations. What really frost me is when a car is parked in an RV spot.
This is why, even though I am very inexperienced with RV travel, I felt that truck stops were kind of a logical choice to stay, even over a Walmart. No parking problems, breakfast lunch and dinner available 24/7, and lots of other things available. I just figured if you are parked, have your Genny running, you won't hear hardly anything, and it is FREE. You do not need to go in the store, find the manager, then parade by home with a shopping cart full of stuff. You can just pull in, and not even get out unless you want to. Now, if I was in need of Walmart stuff, then I would park there, you aren't going out of your way.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #30

Many Cracker Barrels have multiple RV parking spots in the rear and I have seen some in the front. They are generally at least 40 feet long and I have used them spots that would handle the toad also (60 ' or so). Frequently they are near some other shopping area or parking area within a short walk. Since my heart surgery, about 80% of their food is off limits to me. My nutritionist also informed me that gravy isn't considered a vegetable.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
My nutritionist also informed me that gravy isn't considered a vegetable.
THAT's FUNNY!!

I find this thread quite interesting, as we have only taken our trailer out with others in a group so far. We intend to begin "solo-ing" later this year, and I'm getting a LOT of perspectives.

Thanks to all who participate in this thread!

Pop
Old 07-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #32

Quote:
THAT's FUNNY!!
Not to me it isn't, now I have to eat mashed potatoes and peas to get my veggie.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think this post will find it's personal preference for most. We for the most part have no problem staying at the PFJ's. Getting off the road early enough is the key to getting a parking spot in the rv section. Never have stayed back in the truckers area. Never been bothered or approached by anyone in all of our stays there which have been quite a few. I really can't say the same for WallyWorld. Again this is just our opinion. Everyone stay safe and enjoy their travels.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Not to me it isn't, now I have to eat mashed potatoes and peas to get my veggie.
Just put lots of butter on 'em! They'll taste great again, even without the gravy!

Oh, and add some salt, too! Yummy!

Just don't get them at Cracker Barrel, and they'll be completely healthy fixed that way!

Pop
Old 07-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've stayed at Flying-J's quite a few times. One of the first times, when i checked with the manager, he told me not to go back by the trucks. So I park out front near the RV parking spaces or near the edge of the parking lot. Yes it is noisy with trucks coming and going all night, but when really tired, that doesn't bother me. I've only stayed in a rest area twice, and a Walmart once. Most of the time we look for a CG to stay at.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #36

This is an easy and quick responce " truck stops are never a consideration"
Old 07-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #37

I thought better then Wal Mart,would be a campground.
You have to pay,but its a lot safer.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #38

Gotta love it! Enjoy your stay at CB. There's one about 2 blocks from my house. yall come back, coffee is on me.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #39

On our way to Maine last week we pulled into a rest area on RT 87 around mm30 ir has a separate Camping area to spend the night, didn't stay there ended up at a Walmart in Chelmsford Mass. went in asked the manager, she said OK but if the police told us to move we would have to. Walking back to the Rv I saw a police cruiser near by so I thought I'd be proactive, the officer said no problem that it's Walmarts lot, if it's ok with them it was fine with him. Here's where it gets weird, next day pull into Seavue west in Wells ME I'm setting up and start talking to the guy in the next site, told him we had stayed in Chelmsford the night before, he tells me he's from Chelmsford then he tells me he's the Police chief. SMALL WORLD
Old 07-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
On the subject of rest areas, on last years vacation I kept seeing free coffee/water at the next rest stop. I get there and find that states DOT doing the free coffee thing and doing surveys. So I say I'll take the survey(I don't drink coffee) and first thing I find out is that they are ONLY interested in OTR truckers opinions.
Sadly I can't remember in which state this happened.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #41

Why Walmart? Easy in and out, usually fairly quiet overnight, and we can do all our provisioning right there. I'm reading Sam Walton's autobiography right now -- fascinating and I highly recommend it!!

Why truck stops? We gotta stop 'cause we're pooped and probably need gas... but no guarantee we'll actually sleep because of all the noise!! Don't know of any fascinating autobiographies by truck stop chain founders, but maybe they're out there!!
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdja View Post
Time2Leave, if you are using Cracker Barrel for overnight stays after eating supper, does that mean that you are taking up one of the few spaces allocated for RV's to park overnight in while meals are still being served?

If you are returning to your RV after supper and continue to occupy the RV space during business hours, you are doing a dis-service to your fellow RVer's. If this is not your practice, I apologize in advance. If this is your practice, then I urge you to vacate the space as soon as you are through with supper and allow other RVer's to use the space while they use the restaurant facilities to eat.

It really is aggravating when I want to eat at Cracker Barrel and find all of the spaces occupied, especially if one is being used for an overnight stay after they have eaten and are settled in for the night.
(moderator edit)
I ask permission from the MANAGER of the store!
I eat supper late enough the store is closing as I walk out the door.
I park where the MANAGER tells me to park. Sometimes that is in the RV parking, sometimes not.
I leave out early in the AM after eating breakfast.
I rarely park in the RV Parking section becuase it is filled with cars and SUVs.

Your OPINION is that NO ONE should park overnight.

My OPINION is that I ask the mangers and they say I can.
"Apologizing in advance" if I hurt your feelings.