Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #85

This guy needs to .go away
Bipeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 07:44 AM   #86

Utah BBB and Consumer Protection Agency

Shortly after I/we were ripped off by Sporty's To Go in Beaver, I filed a 78 page complaint with the Utah Better Business Bureau as well as the Utah Consumer Protection Agency. It didn't take very long for the BBB to contact me. We had a nice discussion about this scandal and how pervasive it is in a number of places in UT. I was told they would submit my complaint to the establishment and they would have 30 days to rebut/refute my statements. After that time, the complaint would be posted on the BBB site with no reply. They never replied so the full complaint is on the BBB site as filed.
The Utah Consumer Protection Agency took much longer to reply--5 months. However when I was able to connect with them, I spoke to a very nice gentleman named Jay. He and I had a very long conversation about this whole scam. He told me how frustrating it has been to close these places. Seems like the laws in Utah make it easy for a business to close and re-open very quickly and avoid fines/penalties. In addition, it seems there are laws in Utah restricting the amount a place can be fined--even for a second or third offense.
He did cite a number of "successful" cases but frankly stated he doubts it would deter or stop this kind of activity.
All that can be done is report the incidents and hope that---at least in the state of Utah---stricter laws can be passed to make these scams unprofitable.
I just hope enough of us can spread the word to fellow RVer's ( and non-RVer's alike) about these scams and hopefully prevent people from feeling stupid ( like I still feel) and worst than that losing a bunch of money ( which at least I avoided).
OSU65Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:39 PM   #87

Next time I head south I going to go there just to see what happens...🤣🤣🤣
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
Next time I head south I going to go there just to see what happens...🤣🤣🤣
I agree thats what I would do, and play along along for awhile, I like to do that with the scam phone calls I get too, the longer I keep them on the phone the less time they have to scam someone else.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhaus View Post
I agree thats what I would do, and play along along for awhile, I like to do that with the scam phone calls I get too, the longer I keep them on the phone the less time they have to scam someone else.
I have even told the scammers to hold for a minute, while I get my credit card, set the phone down, and just go about my business till they finally hang up! I had one guy, hang on for over a hour, came back and picked up the phone and told him sorry, I forgot, and went out to mow the grass! Then he started his crap again, I said, wait, let me go get my credit card again! He finally caught on and hung up! he was on the call for over 1 1/2 hours! Rail!
Old 04-06-2018, 04:48 AM   #90

Lmao!!!!!
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:29 PM   #91
dp7

Still in business

Pulled into the Flying J last weekend & saw two guys in a golf cart come out of the neighboring tire shop. They were scoping out all of the RVs fueling at Flying J. Looks like they are still up to their old tactics.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
Pulled into the Flying J last weekend & saw two guys in a golf cart come out of the neighboring tire shop. They were scoping out all of the RVs fueling at Flying J. Looks like they are still up to their old tactics.
Scum like that won't quit because, just like drug dealers, they make so much more money than they are ever fined the punishment is just a "cost of business" to be passed on to the next victim. I have no idea why CRIMINAL charges are not filed and vigorously pursued by the Utah State Attorney General's office. This is white-collar crime...well documented...over an extended period of years.

Perhaps if several hundred RVer's sent a email/contact form comments to the Utah GOVERNOR's office stating that because of long-term scams being perpetrated on the RVing community, we're passing through or avoiding, it might get attention. I'm not in the camp to stay away from a state because of a few bad apples, but a letter/email campaign to the highest office might get attention.

https://www.utah.gov/governor/contact/
Old 07-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #93

Unless I am mistaken the Flying J is not associated with the tire "business" (scam is a better word).

Do to my lack of faith in any government actually taking meaningful action it might also help to write to Flying J and complain. Possibly installing physical barriers between the business. Perhaps they could have the tire employees charged with trespassing.
At the very least Flying J could post copies of the various newspaper articles about the business and it's owners.
rocketslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketslc View Post
Unless I am mistaken the Flying J is not associated with the tire "business" (scam is a better word).

Do to my lack of faith in any government actually taking meaningful action it might also help to write to Flying J and complain. Possibly installing physical barriers between the business. Perhaps they could have the tire employees charged with trespassing.
At the very least Flying J could post copies of the various newspaper articles about the business and it's owners.
Great suggestion! For those who patronize that area frequently, a suggestion to Flying J that due to the number of people who are approached/scammed by the tire people next door WHILE on Flying J premises, they will now be avoiding that exit, and that Flying J until they address the scammers operating ON the Flying J premises . . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver