Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2012, 05:24 AM   #1

Beware...dangling ignition keys

I have a number of RV keys on my key chain. On my Tiffin Allegro, I found that the keys that dangled off the ignition key got in the way of the gear shift. By shifting into a different gear, the keys could actually turn the ignition off. This happened to me twice before I realized the cause.
The ignition is a very smooth-operating switch without much turning resistance. This could have caused a bad accident. I now use the ignition key solo, so the other keys can't dangle off of it. Has anyone else had this experience?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I can't speak for a problem with a moho, but I can tell you that leaving a lot of keys on a key ring will shorten the life of any ignition lock cylender. I was in the automotive buisness all my life, and saw many ignition cylenders and switahes fail because of excessive weight hanging of the ignition key. Its not if it will fail, its about when.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #3

I have the problem of not being able to get my ignition key out of the switch. It is erratic and I have tried all combinations of turning off the engine. It seems to be random. I have a Workhorse 8.1 engine and it has always had a lot of parking brake problems. I think it is related to this. When it will not come out I slip a neck cushion over the gear shift lever so it hangs down over the keys and hides the fact that it is there. I wonder if anybody else has this problem.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As 99-am-star stated. I now have a quick disconnect on the ignition key. Whenever I use the MH the key is a single key in the ignition. The interesting part is that when we stop for the day, the key ring slips up over the television antenna crank, and that is where it stays until we leave. It is my good reminder to check that the antenna is down.

Also, I always have my door key and compartment keys in my pocket.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I have the problem of not being able to get my ignition key out of the switch. It is erratic and I have tried all combinations of turning off the engine. It seems to be random. I have a Workhorse 8.1 engine and it has always had a lot of parking brake problems. I think it is related to this. When it will not come out I slip a neck cushion over the gear shift lever so it hangs down over the keys and hides the fact that it is there. I wonder if anybody else has this problem.
I'm pretty sure you need a new ignition switch, and I don't think it's related to the parking brake problem. The switch might be tough to remove with the key stuck in the slot, but I would recommend getting it fixed.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you need a new ignition switch, and I don't think it's related to the parking brake problem. The switch might be tough to remove with the key stuck in the slot, but I would recommend getting it fixed.
I thought that initially, but it has been doing it since I bought the coach (over 40,000 miles and nearly 5 years). Sometimes when it will not release, I can restart it, turn it off and then it comes out. It is a 2004 Itasca 33V.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just the noise of a big ball of keys, clanking back and forth in any vehicle is enough to make me use just the ignition key.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another issue with dangling keys is the weight can cause wear on the lock cylinder and housing, Depending on how the ignition switch works,, This can kill the thing entierly.

Today's collumn mount ignitions often use a slide switch operated by a rack and pinion system (The pinion gear is on the end of the cylinder) this kind is more resistant to that problem. Older dash mount,,, It often killed the vehicle. Usually when you turned a corner.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had a large ring on the key, get between the key and steering wheel and turn the engine off.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lindsay,

Sounds like you are not getting the shifter all the way into the park position. I have the same chassis as yours, and have at times experienced the same problem. Try holding a little pressure on the shifter lever towards park position the next time it happens.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Keys !

I have a shifter problem unrelated to the key it is just stiff when I first start the MOHO after a few minutes it loosens up and the shifter moves better not great but better.
I live in fear of loosing my keys or locking myself out of the MOHO so I have another set hidden on the outside just in case of such a thing happening. I also have a spare set of keys in the MOHO for when I miss-lay the keys and can't find them. That saves some of my frustration looking for the darn keys!
I have spent a lot of time in my life looking for the darn keys to one thing or another!
I too am one that has a huge ring of keys so thanks for the advice about not using a bunch of keys with the same ring as the ignition keys.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Sounds like you are not getting the shifter all the way into the park position. I have the same chassis as yours, and have at times experienced the same problem. Try holding a little pressure on the shifter lever towards park position the next time it happens.
Thank you. I am certainly going to give that a try.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I had the same problem, not in a MH but in my HHR. Turns out there is an issue in the tumblers in the ignition and the ignition needed to be replaced. Not a big deal, under warranty. You might want to get it looked at before your key gets stuck in the 'on' position. I had to leave my HHR at the dealer at 10pm the last time because I couldn't turn the engine off. Had to disconnect the battery and pull the ignition fuse for it to turn off.
dieharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #14

I have a spare key, I have never used. I will give it a try.