Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
According to their web site the $2.50 fee is per month and not per day.

Good to know. Since I have the transponders I don't have to pay that. Thanks for the correction. I wonder if the month starts on the first, or is it a rolling 31 days, or some other start day for the $2.50 fee?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by evofxdwg View Post
33 Ft Coachmen Mirada towing a 2016 Ford F150 pickup

On our last trip, we drove into Canada at Niagara Falls, spent a couple days in Toronto area, and out at Port Huron MI. We drove down highway 407 Express Toll Route (ETR). We saw some signs saying tolls are collected by camera and there are no toll booths. OK - sounds great!

Got a bill a couple of weeks after return home. $63.10 for driving my "Heavy Multiple Unit Vehicle" 6km on that road!

Distance(Km): 6.062
Toll: $6.15
Trip Toll charges: $3.00
Camera Charges: $50.00
Account Fee: $3.95
Total charges: $63.10

I protested to the government contractor that the $50 camera fee was unreasonable given I was not a "tractor pulling one or more trailers" (per their example online) and there were no warning signs about this fee. I got a "nice" email essentially saying pay it or we can fine you for not having a transponder as well.

I won't be touring Canada any more!

All total driving thru MD, NY, and Canada on this trip, I estimate $175 in tolls and fees including above. I may set my GPS to "avoid toll roads" next time. Towing a toad seems to cost significantly more than double the per-axle charge posted most places.

Never underestimate the Government's power to tax!
Build the wall
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Can you name any road in the US or Canada that had the toll removed once the road was paid for? Politicians really don't like to remove a tax.
Also the Port Mann bridge and Golden Ears bridge - both in BC.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #46

Quote:
Can you name any road in the US or Canada that had the toll removed once the road was paid for? Politicians really don't like to remove a tax.
Ga 400 north of atl.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Build the wall
Do you really need a wall built to keep you out of Canada?
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Yes, if you attempt to re enter Canada.
Since it is a private company they may have to collect it themselves.

I would write the Minister of Transportation of Ontario outlining your issue and include a copy of the invoice. 50 camera should come with a professional photographer and include several quality matted and framed prints.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Route 264 in Virginia Beach and the tunnel to Portsmouth, though they reimposed the tunnel toll when they twinned the tunnel.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Cocahalla in British Columbia.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #51

I had a friend that it happened to & he got that $50 fee but he wrote several letters explaining that there was no notice of that fee & they dropped the fee.
also we live west of Seattle & we have no toll roads so when we were traveling the in the East coast it was a shock to us since we are 5 axles.
Some of our bridges have tolls on them but are taking off when paid for. The Hoods Canal floating bridge is one on them. There is a toll taking one way on the Narrows bridge until it is paid for because private money build that.
Craneboy302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Also the Port Mann bridge and Golden Ears bridge - both in BC.
When was the toll removed? In '16, I crossed the Mann Bridge several times and 4 months later got the bill....
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #53

Quote:
I-30 between Fort Worth and Dallas---once paid for, toll booths came down. BUT, TxDOT is gradually putting in HOV lanes/other ways to get paid.

I, too, will go the rural route to stay off interstates if at all possible--get to see more of America that way.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #54

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
When was the toll removed? In '16, I crossed the Mann Bridge several times and 4 months later got the bill....
New provincial gov’t removed tolls.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #55

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Last February I got ripped by a GM dealer in Phoenix to replace a water pump for $1700. Didn’t whine about but then it wasn’t a whole 50 bucks. Still travelling to US, booked into Palm Desert and Benson so far. ��
Old 11-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #56
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know about whining, but there are roads where you could easily pay $150.00 in one day to travel 100 miles. That's a lot of fuel money. We were charged $55.00 at a Maryland toll road because we have a tag axle coach. We were charged as a semi because of the tag and toad (5 axles). I don't think that was the intent. Nine miles later we came up to another toll booth where it was going to be $43.00. Our friends got to the booth in front of us and warned the woman that I wasn't going to be a happy camper after paying $55.00 ten minutes earlier. She laughed when we pulled up and said....just make it $20.00. That was still $63.00 in nine miles.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada