Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #1

Beware Fees Toll Roads (407ETR) in Canada!

33 Ft Coachmen Mirada towing a 2016 Ford F150 pickup

On our last trip, we drove into Canada at Niagara Falls, spent a couple days in Toronto area, and out at Port Huron MI. We drove down highway 407 Express Toll Route (ETR). We saw some signs saying tolls are collected by camera and there are no toll booths. OK - sounds great!

Got a bill a couple of weeks after return home. $63.10 for driving my "Heavy Multiple Unit Vehicle" 6km on that road!

Distance(Km): 6.062
Toll: $6.15
Trip Toll charges: $3.00
Camera Charges: $50.00
Account Fee: $3.95
Total charges: $63.10

I protested to the government contractor that the $50 camera fee was unreasonable given I was not a "tractor pulling one or more trailers" (per their example online) and there were no warning signs about this fee. I got a "nice" email essentially saying pay it or we can fine you for not having a transponder as well.

I won't be touring Canada any more!

All total driving thru MD, NY, and Canada on this trip, I estimate $175 in tolls and fees including above. I may set my GPS to "avoid toll roads" next time. Towing a toad seems to cost significantly more than double the per-axle charge posted most places.

Never underestimate the Government's power to tax!
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
This August we were driving south from Maine and used the beltways west of Boston. For one stretch we used the HOV lane. In GA the HOV lane is different from the Peach Pass toll lanes and the signs clearly state the fees or lack thereof.

In September, back home in GA, we got a bill from the MA Hwy Admin for $6.20 for using (I assume) the HOV lane.

Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by evofxdwg View Post

On our last trip, we drove into Canada at Niagara Falls, spent a couple days in Toronto area, and out at Port Huron MI. We drove down highway 407 Express Toll Route (ETR). We saw some signs saying tolls are collected by camera and there are no toll booths. OK - sounds great!

Got a bill a couple of weeks after return home. $63.10 for driving my "Heavy Multiple Unit Vehicle" 6km on that road!

I protested to the government contractor that the $50 camera fee was unreasonable given I was not a "tractor pulling one or more trailers" (per their example online) and there were no warning signs about this fee. I got a "nice" email essentially saying pay it or we can fine you for not having a transponder as well.

All total driving thru MD, NY, and Canada on this trip, I estimate $175 in tolls and fees including above. I may set my GPS to "avoid toll roads" next time. Towing a toad seems to cost significantly more than double the per-axle charge posted most places.

That is how they manage to keep their roads so nice, have great public transport, free healthcare and a safe, clean society.
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardgood View Post
That is how they manage to keep their roads so nice, have great public transport, free healthcare and a safe, clean society.
Not true. The 407 is privately owned by a Spanish company.
Also we do not all live in igloos.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Well, I am sure Canada will not miss your absence.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
It use to be gas tax paid for the roads but the politicians keep raiding the trust fund so they come up with these revenue schemes that are irritating to most drivers. "Free Healthcare" is another pipe dream because there is not enough money on the planet to pay for it. When something is Free, as the old axiom goes, there will be shortages of the service.
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudawg View Post
It use to be gas tax paid for the roads but the politicians keep raiding the trust fund so they come up with these revenue schemes that are irritating to most drivers. "Free Healthcare" is another pipe dream because there is not enough money on the planet to pay for it. When something is Free, as the old axiom goes, there will be shortages of the service.
Never had a shortage of service. Yes, taxes go to pay for health care, but Canadians pay less tax overall than Americans.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Never had a shortage of service. Yes, taxes go to pay for health care, but Canadians pay less tax overall than Americans.
Also Canadians live years longer than Americans, have much lower infant and maternal mortality rates and rank much higher in quality of health care.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #9

There is no better health care system then what Canadians have. Don't believe the myths.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Well, I am sure Canada will not miss your absence.
Thanks.......love you too!😳
Old 11-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by evofxdwg View Post

OK, so you don't like the "only" toll road in Ontario, and claim "You won't be touring Canada anymore".
That's fine, if you feel that way.
What about the tolls roads you travelled in Maryland and New York states?
Didn't see you stating you would not be travelling there anymore!
I am very familiar with the 407 ETR toll road and it isn't even the main hi-way through Toronto.
Set your GPS to "AVOID TOLL ROADS" and save yourself from eliminating places you will never tour again.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It seems to be a provincial road. Do they do the same thing to Canadians who are just passing through?

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
It seems to be a provincial road. Do they do the same thing to Canadians who are just passing through?
To those disparaging my post, my main complaint is the fees I'm being assessed WITHOUT ANY WARNING posted on the road. I am accustomed to knowing the charges up front before I buy anything. I believe a government-sponsored (as this seems to be since their website and email claims to have force of Canadian law) service that assesses fees should comply with the norms of trade with private entities. Or they could just post a sign that says something like "All you one time use idiots in motorhomes or towing stay off this road or it will cost you dearly". If they want US tourists in Canada, they should not be pulling this kind of crap.

And I fundamentally disagree with my toll road fees paying for healthcare, if that's what happens.

To answer your question, the $50 camera fee is assessed for any "Heavy Multiple Unit Vehicle" that does not have a transponder. It is impractical for me, a one-time tourist, to order and pickup, then return a transponder, which has a $50 deposit, and annual or monthly lease fees. And of course, I didn't know I was supposed to do that. They classify my 33 foot motorhome towing a TOAD as a "Heavy Multiple Unit Vehicle". Doesn't matter what province or country (Assume it must be one they have data on the tag numbers).
407ETR fees
Old 11-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #14

As a Canadian, I have to reply. Evo, I agree about the fees for highway 407, or ANY toll road period! While I live in Alberta, I know about the 407 because of the controversy of 3P projects. Projects which are PRIVATELY owned with government blessing because it gets things (roads among many other things) built while they (we) supposedly don't pay for it[Moderator Edit]!. We drove down some interstate in NY last year and for the 38 miles we paid just under 50.00 US for MH and toad. I wasn't impressed but it was the cost of travelling.
We pay and pay more than ever for less and less! Richard don't believe for a second that we pay less taxes than you......EVER! My last year of working my payroll taxes amounted to 49% of my gross earnings. Not including home taxes, vehicle registration etc. In Canada I am(was) considered a HIGH income earner because I made over 100,000 a year.
Most of the time I avoid toll roads on principle but damm, sometimes it's twice the distance to avoid so I'll bite the bullet and pay it (Hello Nova Scotia!)
Our healthcare is good but it is NOT the best in the world and definately NOT even the best in North America.

Rant over.............................................. ..
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada