Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2016, 05:05 AM   #1

Beware of Pop's RV Sales!

I saw an ad for an RV by Pop's RV located in Sarasota,FL. I had to sign a multi-page legal document in order to make an offer. I could not inspect the unit unless I signed the document. My offer was rejected and I assumed that would be the end of it. I later purchased a TT form a private owner. The salesman I worked with later emailed me other RV's he thought I might be interested in. I politely informed him I was no longer interested and would he kindly remove me from his contacts. Evidently he did. But now, I have been receiving solicitations from another individual from Pops. Twice now I politely replied that I am no longer interested and would he kindly remove me from his contact list. Here is his reply.

"Hi Jay,

As is normal in the age we live in once you sign up for a website the emails will come until the end of time, I do not have privileges to change that, you would have to pull the plug from your end."

As you can see, this is email is generated solely by him, not automated.

I will deal with it. Just a FYI.
Geezer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 05:10 AM   #2
Community Administrator

There are various ways to block an email address. Try googling you're set up to see how .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You shouldn't have to deal with that. Point 'em to the following link to the FTC web site - and point out that the CAN-SPAM Act requires them to provide you with a mechanism to "opt out" of future emails - and violating the act can result in penalties of $16,000 for each email. Here's the link to a straight forward explanation available on the FTC website:

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...guide-business
Old 07-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #4

On automated emails quite often there is an unsubscribe option at or near the bottom of the email in very small print. I have 4 email accounts and they all have a spam option. If I label someone as spam all future emails go to the spam folder.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:07 PM   #5

The first hint that you were required to "sign" documents to even proceed would have triggered a prompt reply of "buh bye"
I will be sure to let others know of your business practices
Old 07-14-2016, 06:38 PM   #6

Maybe that is why he has risen to the lofty position of RV salesman.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Be careful, that may have some additional scam consequences.

My niece sent me a Craigslist ad and asked me to look at it because it was an incredible price for a used TT. It had pictures and pictures of serial numbers ad it was in wonderful shape. The guy was in the military and had to sell and it was at the "ApplePay" lot and it would be delivered to your front door. (keep in mind only $14,000 trailer) The catch - you had to buy it before you could inspect it and all money refunded if you didn't like it when it arrived.

Poor kids like my niece might fall for that stuff and I hate it. The pictures were probably robbed off a legitimate rvtrader ad. If I knew who to turn that stuff into I would.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Be careful, that may have some additional scam consequences.

My niece sent me a Craigslist ad and asked me to look at it because it was an incredible price for a used TT. It had pictures and pictures of serial numbers ad it was in wonderful shape. The guy was in the military and had to sell and it was at the "ApplePay" lot and it would be delivered to your front door. (keep in mind only $14,000 trailer) The catch - you had to buy it before you could inspect it and all money refunded if you didn't like it when it arrived.

Poor kids like my niece might fall for that stuff and I hate it. The pictures were probably robbed off a legitimate rvtrader ad. If I knew who to turn that stuff into I would.
It's a scam
Leeboy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:47 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with SpaceNorman and rather than send them the link, just report them. You can also block any further emails from that IP address.
As to sending money prior to agreeing to purchase....NOT a chance. Recently ordered a new coach and while researching and checking prices I had one well known National dealership wanted my credit card before she could "negotiate the price with her manager". Needless to say they dropped out of the running right then.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
The first hint that you were required to "sign" documents to even proceed would have triggered a prompt reply of "buh bye"
I will be sure to let others know of your business practices
Yep I won't be signing anything till I'm ready to take it home with me.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #11

I was suppose to go look at a Class A tomorrow, listed by Pop's RV. I was informed this evening that I should not ask about price with the owner at that time. Apparently the owner has the RV at his house and his listing broker will be there also. I was also told that the seller didn't have to turn things on for me. I asked how can I decide what to offer them if I don't investigate first? I was told I would have to sign that 5 page negotiation contract first, then inspect and take it for a ride. Supposedly full refund if inspection finds something or we can renegotiate.
I wrote back to the person who answered the ad and told her I probably will not be driving almost 60 miles one way to just look, I can do that with the pictures. They also want 10% down when that offer is written (and almost $400 from the buyer at closing the deal as an escrow fee/lien clearance).
Who in the heck makes an offer or puts 10% down without knowing potential problems? I of course was planning to get an inspector to look at it before buying.
I am having a hard time finding an RV in my area so I'm kind of disappointed. I've tried buying long distance without luck so far
Maidendg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Keep looking. This sounds like something I would not entertain.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:45 AM   #13

I carefully went to the POP's RV website and looked around. You can't even look at all the photos of a camper for sale without giving up your email address. Signing a 5 page contract so I can physically look at something for sale is a non-starter for me. I'd stick with RV Trader.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to the OP for posting this. There are too many great coaches and RVs out there to reward back handed and heavy tactics like these. Shop on!
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale