Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2015, 03:13 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
I would also recommend RV trader.com or Auto trader.com, Motorcycle trader.com and snowmobile trader.com, I have sold cars, motorcycles and snowmobiles off of these and I just bought my motorhome from the RV site. The seller was 6 hours away and I went to see the MH. made and offer and a deposit pending an inspection and all went well.
X-2 I have sold my MH on the RV trader for the Midwest! I took a very good quality picture and downloaded it on a cd, and sent to them with the description. Just the one pic, and a very good description. I paid for a color ad, reg. size. When the magazine came out, I was shocked, there was my MH on the cover! I guess it was such a good pic, they decided to put it on the cover! Well, being a trucker, I was off on a in state run, and my then DW called and said to get home as quickly as possible! She said the phone was ringing off the hook, people were there now, and coming from long distance, and more wanting to see it! I got home as quickly as I could, and there were people looking at it, and a couple waiting! Anyway, it sold very quickly! And I got my asking price! I advertised my semi on craigslist, got contacted by many people claiming to be out of the country, in the service, many different story's, wanting me to take a cashiers check, use paypal, all different kinds of payment's, all were scam's! I then advertised it on truckpaper.com and sold both the truck and trailer very quickly! So the trader papers and magazine's work! But you still have to be careful! If meeting someone, make sure it is in a public place! With a lot of people around! And do not go alone!
One of the best ones I have seen was in Las Vegas, on Craigslist,
For sale, 357 magnum S/W, $350.00! Bring cash! Address was out in the desert?
Hahahahaha!!! Right!
Rail!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
Could be, but not everyone has texting. If you set up your account right the emails should go through the trader site.
Re-read what you quoted. He received a text_.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Best place to meet is at a bank. My son sold a mustang on craigslist to someone in Atlanta area last year. I went with him to deliver, we arranged meet in Bank of America in Norcross Ga. He required cash but we wanted it checked by the bank and then he deposited it into his account there so he would not be leaving with $9000 cash on person or maybe counterfit. I remained close by at all times. It can be done safe just plan ahead. I do think the purchaser was more worried than we were though! He thought the bank idea was a good idea also.
2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:42 PM   #18

Be careful. Do business in person if at all possible. If not possible, pay or get paid by Pay Pal.

If they're far away, ask yourself why are they coming this far to buy this.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
They've now found two bodies in the same pond.
The bodies were not found in the pond, they were in a ditch a short distance from where the car was submerged in the pond. The had both been shot. The person that had listed a Mustang for sale is the prime suspect and has been arrested. They didn't know if the guy actually had a car for sale.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:01 AM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
The bodies were not found in the pond, they were in a ditch a short distance from where the car was submerged in the pond. The had both been shot. The person that had listed a Mustang for sale is the prime suspect and has been arrested. They didn't know if the guy actually had a car for sale.
Story I saw said in the pond so they must have changed it. It was posted on Yahoo news and they're not always correct!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #21

I got my info from local radio here in Atlanta of which Marietta is a large community on the North West side where the victims were from. I don't put much stock in the facts on the internet unless I can verify it elsewhere. In particular Yahoo.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #22

It's not about Craigslist. It's about people who dont use common sense. With out knowing every detail I will put my money on them saying they were going to be there to buy the car if they like it. So they probably drove there with the money to meet a stranger and ended up dead. If they were going to look at it they should have stated that they will NOT be bringing any money and they just want to look at it first. I'll put more of my money on the fact that this guy is a crack or meth head.

I bought a used 5er and asked the older folks how they wanted to be paid and she said cash. I said well being that my credit union is 200 miles away and I cant atm that much out quickly and my cu would have to mail a check. I said are you sure you want me to bring you $10,000 and then leave here with anyone knowing that you have that much money in your house or in you car heading 10 miles to town? I said if you were my parents I wouldn't want you to do that.

I told her the best thing to do is take my personal check, deposit it, wait 5 days with the 5er in your pole barn and the title in your name. Let the check clear and I will come and get it when your bank says ok. Check cleared then they signed off and gave me a receipt and all was well.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #23

This shows people will kill at the drop of a hat and not think twice. Internet, news paper what ever don't trust anyone or you could be next.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:57 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Saw a report on TV that said best place to meet is the POLICE station--get there a little early and let the cops inside know what you are doing. The security guy with this info said anyone who doesn't want to meet you at the police station is probably not someone you want to do business with. If you use the bank, meet inside and not the parking lot.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:26 AM   #25

Update on the elderly couple that were killed in GA. The suspect that made the contact with the couple that had put a ad on Craigslist looking for a Mustang, he did not own a Mustang and in checking his background had been arrested a couple times for having antiques in his possession and possible burglaries but was not charged because not enough evidence and was released. The suspect was shortly after they found the bodies. He was not very smart. A couple things that went wrong. The police didn't watch this guy good enough and check into past activity and apparently the couple didn't take enough caution and must have met him at a place where there were no other people around. Probably 95% of craigslist transactions go without any problems but the other 5% can be deadly. Craigslist even has cautions on the web page telling people the precautions they need to take.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:12 AM   #26

You should also go to dmv to ensure the title doesn't have a recent Lein on it. Both go the bank, and then both go to the dmv is the best.
Craigslist is a great tool!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
How would I do a test drive with someone I don't know?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:16 AM   #28

Rexhall Owners Group
No kidding? Scammers on Craigslist? Who'da thought?