Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2015, 07:43 AM   #29

Those poor souls got ambushed, not scammed. That could happen in a CW parking lot.

I'm a big fan of CL for everything from apartment-grade appliances, to all sorts of vehicles; both selling and buying. My best tenants come from CL ads.

That said, where vehicles are concerned and if I'm seriously wanting to buy something, I Always ask for a photo of the license tag, and a copy of sellers DL and the Title (or bank papers with contact info).

After getting those, I then ask for seller to have his photo taken holding his DL and kneeling next to the vehicle's license plate. This eliminates most bad guys because they have to be in physical proximity to that item in order to take the photo, and having their photo and ID in a picture is cheap insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
I was not trying yo discourage any one from using Craigslist to make everyone aware of the possibility of scams. In the article that I included it turns out that the victims may have lost more than money.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2015, 03:57 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
When I put our TT on CL it was like OMG where did all the overseas military personal come from that would have someone else come do the transaction if only I used PayPal for payment! For the first week it was scam after scam. I politely answered all emails thru CL to inform all buyers that the transaction would only be done in person, buyer only, cash at the bank. That stopped most of the scams! NEVER any transaction should be done alone and always in a public place. My son 45 and at least one other friend always accompany me, the old man and, I get stuck with the lunch check. lol I'm going to start using the police department idea, in future CL's
Old 01-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #31

I heard an interview with one of the local police departments. They said they welcome people to do their transaction at the police department office and will provide a place to do it inside. While you are there they will run the vin# to check to see if it was stolen.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:05 PM   #32

I have purchased motorcycles several times on craigs list a couple of times but have met at the sellers home. If things didn't look or feel right I would not have stopped.Using a little common sense can prevent a tragedy. I do not ever go alone when making a purchase from an unknown individual and both I and my nephew that goes with are chl holders and armed. I would almost feel sorry for some fool that decides this 60 year old man is an easy victim.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile Craigslist Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
A couple years ago I was looking at Casitas and found one listed that was supposedly not far from where I lived. It had a price about 1/3 the going price for the model and year. I emailed the seller and it was supposedly a woman that had been given the TT in a divorce settlement and she just wanted to get rid of it. I asked when I could look at it and (she) said that was at a shippers location as she was going to ship it directly to the buyer. I asked where she was and she said she was getting ready to travel out of state and wasn't available. I did the "search all craigs lists" and found that the same TT was listed in a number of locations throughout the US. It was one of those too good to be true items. Naturally the internet does not identify who you are dealing with and photos can be of anything or anybody real or fake.

If a check is involved then do the transaction at the bank the check is drawn on to verify it is a good account. Don't give a title until the check clears.

There is also the danger of the sale. Always meet a seller or buyer in a public location where there are other people around. The elderly couple from Marietta, GA were found lying in a ditch not far from their SUV that had been driven into a lake in south GA. It was supposedly to buy the elderly mans dream old Mustang.
I bought our 1988 Chieftain on Craigslist, but a month before went round and round with a scammer claiming he was military out of the country and his class A like new motorhome for like half price was all crated up at a Utah military base, and that the Army(govt) was going to pay to fly it anywhere in the country to whoever bought it! And if it wasn't what he said it was that the Army would pay to ship it back and refund the Certified Check!! Lol, when I asked him to let me verify with his CO the ad disappeared!
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #34
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Craigslist can be good, but it's like walking through a mine field!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #35

I've bought and sold a lot of items (including my current MH) on Craigslist and use it often. I can normally pick out the scammers and like FastGlassMan said, the scammers are normally out of the country for some reason. I like to play with them ... I ask them where the item is located, when they tell me, I say I have a brother (or sister) that lives in that area give me the location and I'll have them come and look at the item. Normally don't hear from them again ... then I hit the "prohibited" button on the top of the page and shortly after that the add disappears. Sometimes I'll just be surfing Craigslist and hit the "prohibited" button when you can easily tell it is a scam add ... might save someone else from being sucked in to their scam. I've been curious as whether my hitting the "prohibited" button removes the add or if several folks have to do that ... but it seem like by at least the next day it is gone.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #36

Maybe its different with each local CL? I've flagged CL ads and they're still up a week later. Could it be that flagged ads have to go through a review process and the reviewer might be over-loaded at one location and not so at another?
Old 02-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #37

Ive bought and sold many things on Craigslist. I had more trouble selling things on Facebook than on c-list. Just be careful and follow your gut.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another Craigslist SCAM:

Chris Smith: Beware of bicycle buyer’s car key | The Press Democrat

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Craigslist

I have been very fortunate to have found many great deals on Craigslist and sold our Safari Trek there in 1 day. The day after we bought our Monaco listed on Craigslist. Keep in mind it's FREE to buy and sell. Use common sense and an open mind. You will also find your item may reach another area and still sell.
ZOOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:52 PM   #40

Never place your phone number there.

Many spell it but that is just stupid.

We have sold many things and so far no issues.

Always state communication will be via the cl email.

Some will argue that they need to call...but if they can see the add then they can send email.

That will create a paper trail so to speak and usually spammers refuse to do that.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #41

The scammers prey on the gullible and stupid. don't send money to anyone, deal in person or forget it, don't take checks, if for a large amount go to your bank and make sure the funds are guaranteed. if there is a title ask to see identification of the seller. Finally if the deal is too good to be true. well.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:24 AM   #42

I never meet people alone unless they come to the farm. Then I know I'm not alone. Never go alone with the wife unless I'm buying or selling something cheap. If its over a couple hundred bucks or over an hours drive away I always take my brother or a friend.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote