Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been years since either of us have ridden a bike but we rented beach cruisers on our recent trip and enjoyed it. So now we're looking for a couple of bikes. Where we live is not flat but we liked the wide tires and comfort of the beach cruisers. I've seen 7 speed cruisers and thinking of those....anyone have those or otherwise have recommendations?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Been years since either of us have ridden a bike but we rented beach cruisers on our recent trip and enjoyed it. So now we're looking for a couple of bikes. Where we live is not flat but we liked the wide tires and comfort of the beach cruisers. I've seen 7 speed cruisers and thinking of those....anyone have those or otherwise have recommendations?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:48 AM   #3
paz

We have Dahon folding bikes which we like very much. We opted for the full-size 26" Espresso model because we wanted 21 speeds and we feel the larger tires give a better ride. Dahon also makes several compact models which take less space to store, but I believe they only have 7 speeds.

We can easily carry 2 of the 26" models in the back of our Saturn Vue. Since we are full-timers, being able to keep them out of the weather was is the main reason we opted for folding bikes.

I think Camping World sells one or two of the Dahon compact models. We bought our Espresso bikes from a company on line, but I can't remember who it was. The Dahon web site lists numerous dealers.

Before we went full-time I had a Trek mountain bike, which I was very happy with. Trek also makes cruisers and comfort models if you are interested in a non-folding bike.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I've heard good things about the folding bikes being carried by RVUpgrades. We just purchased Expedition sport bikes from Specialized. Got them thru a local dealer. They are a mix between a hybrid and a comfort. 24 speeds and very comfortable with wide enough tires for campground roads and also for trails.Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I just bought this Jamis Explorer 2.0 today.

The test ride was great!

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
I checked out the Aerlite B that ISLAPP referred to at RVUpgrades.com The components of that bike are top quality. But you asked about 7-speed Beach Cruisers.

Are you referring to the 7-speed Internal geared Shimano Nexus hub? or are you referring to a greasy, 7-speed cassette and deraileur system?

If you are inquiring about the 7-speed, Shimano Nexus Inter-7 Hub, I can give personal attestation. I've owned 4 bikes with that hub--male and female Schwinn Cruiser 7, a GT Dyno Taxi (originally 4-speed, hub changed to 7-speed), and now a Classic Cruiser with Shimano Nexus Inter-7 hub. These hubs have proven to be strong and reliable. You can downshift while standing still. You can get this hub on bikes with one of 3 different brake set ups--rear coaster brake (integral with hub), rear roller brake (integral with hub and hand operated), or conventional cantilever hand brakes that rub the rim.

I've also previously had two folding bikes with the Shimano 3-speed hub (same as the Aerlite B). I have found the Shimano 3-speed to be just as strong, dependable, and accurate as the 7-speed. My favorite folding bike was drive-shaft driven. There was absolutely no grease exposed on that bike. I would like to find a Beach Cruiser with drive shaft drive.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #7

I have a chance to buy a Mongoose 21-speed XR100 bike for around $75.00. It's supposed to be aluminum alloy but is still a little heavy. Are these good bicycles?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
George:

I wasn't familiar with the Nexus hub but it sounds great. Thanks for the explanation.

We really don't need folding bikes but I would consider them. We liked the comfortable and relaxed riding position of the beach cruisers we recently rented but think a few gears would make a bike more 'rideable' on less than flat terrain.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
What's the deal with bikes without fenders these days? Even cruisers are without them. I've just started looking at bikes for Dave & I & fenderless seems to be the norm. I don't want dirt flinging up my back while riding - especially if it's wet out.

L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:50 AM   #10

You might want to check out Target.com. We just ordered two bikes from them --a Forge Vero LS Comfort Bike (men's) and Forge Athena blue pearl(ladies), mainly because they have aluminum frames. They are $199.99, but the ladies was on sale for $149. They had good reviews, but we haven't received them yet.

We previously had two Schwinns from Target box store and paid around $140 each. We like them very well, but when we were in Mazatlan a couple of friends from Canada didn't bring their bikes and wanted to buy them from us when we left. They were very nice riding, but we thought the aluminum frames would be easier to load and unload even though they are a little more costly.

Happy cruising
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:34 AM   #11

Check out the ELECTRA TOWNIE 3-SPD. It's got an aluminum frame, coaster brake on the rear, hand brake on the front. 3-SPD internal gear shift and has fenders, front and back. It's got the "flat foot" technology, which is easy to peddle and easy on your back. The wife and I are in our 60's and we just bought a his and hers and cannot believe how comfortable they are to ride, (lifting them on to the bike rack isn't a chore either because they're so light.)
Old 05-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I am a very avid mountain biker. Aluminum is definately the way to go for any frmae. It is strong and lighter than steel. I personally will never buy a department store bike again. They are low quality and the kids in the back have no idea how to assemble them properly or the first thing about properly fitting a bike to the rider. Check out your local bike shops. Most have good used bikes for less than what you would pay at a Target or Walmart. Another option to consider are hybrid bikes. They are a cross between mountain and touring bikes, fat tires, an upright riding position, and any number of gear combinations. Some manufacturers that come to mind are Trek, Giant, Schwinn, Specialized. I have owned and raced all of them and never had an issue with quality. Make sure you do a good test ride of any bike you cosider buying. After an hour on a poorly fitted bike, you will want to throw into the closest dumpster and never ride it again.