Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2016, 05:34 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Don't go to Alaska with them mounted on the back of a motorhome. We did that and with all the road dust etc. they became "unrideable" if that is a word. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 05:44 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought the fold up bikes off amazon for 109.00 each. they fit well under the motorhome and they work surprisingly well. I though they would be really cheap, but I have had no problems with them and my wife likes it better than a regular bike.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:50 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
My bikes (road and mountain) are both fairly valuable. So, they get to ride inside my Jeep, just under the yacht and alongside the fishing and kayaking gear.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #18

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Over the years we've tried all kinds of options. Didn't really like carrying our recumbent bikes on the back of the rig. I finally ended up making an inside carrier out of spare lumber and a pair of shelf standards and two fork mounts. The two long wheel base bikes mount in opposite directions making a relatively narrow profile when side to side. Initially, we carried the bikes between the closed opposing slides but we had to move the bikes outside once we got where we were going. Eventually we removed the sofabed that we never used and put the bikes at the back of the rig. Now they stay inside except when we want to ride them.

While our bikes are recumbents, a similar setup would work for regular diamond frame bikes. But all is dependent on your rig's floor plan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	121237   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0006.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	121238  

Old 03-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Just another reason that our toad is pickup.....l
Old 03-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #20

Assuming you're putting them on a TT or FW, be aware that some bumpers are not rated to carry anything without modification, and some, like mine, have a sticker stating the warranty will be voided if you mess with the bumper. And some don't even have bumpers. Four bikes makes for a heavy load, even on reinforced bumpers. If you can have a hitch welded to the frame it's probably the best way to go. You can always go up and forward, as in a roof-mounted Thule-type of rack, or even a front hitch receiver, but it always looks to me like putting the bikes in front could be problematic for vision, cooling and keeping the bikes clean.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #21

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
Assuming you're putting them on a TT or FW, be aware that some bumpers are not rated to carry anything without modification, and some, like mine, have a sticker stating the warranty will be voided if you mess with the bumper. ....
Good point. And, some manufacturers of receiver type racks have a disclaimer about not mounting them on the back of a TT or 5er because of the amount of bounce that can over stress the rack.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:13 PM   #22

Thank you

Thank you everyone for the great information.
I knew we had to be careful where we put a rack.
Also we were and still are considering a toy hauler because my husband has a 300# motorized wheelchair. I can disassemble it and put it in the basement area. If we did that I just didn't know what everyone else did for bike storage. Our bikes aren't real expensive, but my kids ride them almost daily so they have to come.
Thanks again.
c.leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:30 AM   #23

Depending on what you have already to tow a FW like a nice big truck, you might consider a Motorhome Toy Hauler. Room for bikes, wheel chair, and could possibly tow your current vehicle. I would think setting up a motorhome at a campsite may be easier for someone in a wheel chair.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
We used a receiver hitch bike rack mounted on our toad (2012 Jeep Liberty) to carry to bicycles on a recent trip to Florida. While it worked OK - it was not what I would consider the optimal solution.

My issue with the solution can be explained as follows. I don't want to leave the bikes on the bike rack when we're using the toad for shopping and sightseeing unless I'm going to actually use the bicycles. None of the campsites we stayed on had anything suitable to secure the bicycles to. So, every time we arrived at a new location - I found myself unloading the bikes off the bike rack, pulling the tow bar off the back of the coach - and moving the bike rack to the coach's hitch receiver - then loading the bikes back onto the bike rack so that I could secure them to something "immoveable" with cables and locks. Of course, every time we packed to move - I had to do the whole thing in reverse to get the tow bar back on the coach and the bike rack back on the toad. We were moving campsites every week ... so this got old, quick.

I'm going to invest in a dual hitch receiver so that I can attached the bike rack AND the tow bar to the coach - and not have to move everything around constantly.

I think I'll also rest a little easier with my bicycles tucked safely between the coach and the toad. I can't help but feel they're a little better protected hanging there as opposed to be totally exposed on the back of the toad.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Swagman 4 Bike

Put it on the Receiver Hitch

Receiver Hitch on the Front of my truck-use that when I have the Trailer on the back of the Truck
Old 03-13-2016, 06:05 PM   #26

1 bike and 1 trike. They fold and fit in the back of my JK Wrangler

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #27

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bring a folding Xootr kick scooter and a folding Pedalflow seatless bike. Both fit in the bottom bunk.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:24 PM   #28

Fold ours up and put them in the basement.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote