Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Bicycles on Board

We've been full timing on the road now for 13 months having the time of our lives. We carry our bicycles with us... they have been very useful in 4 - 5 of our destinations but honestly for the most part just hang on the hitch collecting dust at the back of the coach. We've worn through 2 bike racks so far & now need a 3rd.

Just curious if others carry their bikes around too & feel they're worth it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #2

If you don't use them, dump them. It is really simple. Might want to get a couple of the folding bikes that can store in the basement for the odd time you might want to ride.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #3

We have two 26" folding mountain bikes and have carried them 12 years. We just slide them in the basement and slide them out when we want to go riding.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I'm surprised at the bike rack wearing out. We have had ours on two MHs. It is one of the ones that attaches to the rear ladder. Any time we park for more than a few days I take them off and park them so they are ready to use. We don't ride any distances but for trips to the CG office or out to lunch they are great. Once in a while just for fun.

I estimate about 15,000 miles between the two rigs. I do not only use the straps that came with it but also use large tywraps to secure it to the ladder and make sure they are secure at rest and fuel stops.

The only problem I see is that if you do need to get on top of the MH the rack is in the way. I can carefully climb around it but I'm not sure how many more years I can do that.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry one bicycle, Wife has "Forgotten" how to ride one and I don't have the patience to re-teach her.. So we gave hers away.

I use mine most all summer, in fact I have used it twice just today already.. It's how I get around the parks. (Walking is a bit .. painful,,, for me, but I can ride still)

Winters in nice level (not) South Carolina where the concept of FLAT does not exist.... THe hills are a bit much for me.. Still .. I occasionally use it around the park.

Wife used a battery operated mobility scooter. I personally feel she relies on it too much and her feet too little.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #6

Try a Swagman XC Rack. Doubt if you'll wear this one out.
Swagmanbikeracks.com :: Hitch Mount :: 2 Bike Racks-Hitch Mounted :: Swagman XC 2 Bike Rack 64650 **150.00**
We take bikes every time we go and always use them.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #7

We got tired of dealing with a bike rack, bike cover, and bike locks. The only thing we use the bikes for is casual riding around the CG so we bought two inexpensive folding bikes at Camping world and store them in the basement. When we had full sized bikes on a rack, I always worried about the bikes falling off and hurting someone on the road even if I took every precaution to secure them. Now that the folding bikes are safely in the basement, I don't even think about them. At some CG's we don't even take them out. When we're at a CG and we take them out we don't worry about them being in the rain or being stolen because they're inexpensive bikes - who cares if they get rusty. It made my job easier and I don't worry about bikes anymore.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlcal View Post
We got tired of dealing with a bike rack, bike cover, and bike locks. The only thing we use the bikes for is casual riding around the CG so we bought two inexpensive folding bikes at Camping world and store them in the basement.
This would be my ideal solution but we're full timers, everything we own we carry with us, so the basement is already full of other "necessities" like tools, BBQ, chairs, etc.

I know we'll regret it if we toss them...
Old 08-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've had a terribly hot summer in Texas and I haven't been able to ride my bike for exercise since June. Typically, I ride 3 times a week, about 12 miles per period. When we go camping, I take the bike along and try to get in about the same amount of riding, though it isn't always possible.

If you think about it, riding bicycle is great exercise and the wear and tear on the joints is significantly less than other methods. I've been on a treadmill instead of a bike and I find that it is much harder on my knees (pounding vs. flexing). Since I'm an explorer by nature, using the bike to get around the CG is a lot of fun. Of course, a lot depends on the CG roads. I have a mountain bike so unpaved roads are fine but some are so badly rutted that it is difficult to stay on the bike when going over them.

As full timers, you need to figure out some method for regular exercise. I'd suggest at least 3 times per week, 35 minutes or more per session and being able to get your heart rate up for most of that time. While a bike isn't always practical or even safe, it provides at least some variety a way to get a great workout. I like the rush of the wind past my face when I get my speed cranked up.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Try a Swagman XC Rack. Doubt if you'll wear this one out.
Swagmanbikeracks.com :: Hitch Mount :: 2 Bike Racks-Hitch Mounted :: Swagman XC 2 Bike Rack 64650 **150.00**
We take bikes every time we go and always use them.
Same here. We have a Swagman too, ours is one that fits around the draw bar on the hitch.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We carry our bikes on a receiver hitch on the back of the towed. It's a quick and cheap method to get around and for great quick trips to the store (if not too far away), and away to get good exercise.

I wouldn't want to take up any of the valuable space in the basement.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We carry ours the same way and I would like to attach my bike rack on either the front of the motor home or I would like to attach it on the motor home hitch in front of the toad. Then I wouldn't have to move them to use the toad. Any ideas??
Old 08-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

We carried ours for 4 years through 41000 miles and 34 states while full time on our Blue Ox bike rack with no problem... other than a lack of motivation to use them.

For us... it is really important to have some way to exercise so we also carry a "trainer" which allows us to set the rear bike wheel in it... converting it to a stationary bike for exercise.

As pointed out earlier... when full time the last thing you want to do is use up a storage bay with something that can be stored elsewhere. I'd keep the bikes... get a quality bike rack... and begin looking for destinations with high quality bike trails that can be used safely. We're currently at Cal Expo in Sacramento and are right next to a wonderful bike path that runs >30 miles along the American River green belt.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
We carry ours the same way and I would like to attach my bike rack on either the front of the motor home or I would like to attach it on the motor home hitch in front of the toad. Then I wouldn't have to move them to use the toad. Any ideas??
This bike carrier really works great, it slides into your receiver and then your tow bar slides into it. This way the bikes stay on the MH and not on the back of your toad running all over town. It is much stronger than the ones that attatch to the ladder.

Blue Ox Just Rite 3 Position Bike Carrier - 18 taller"

IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote