Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Biggest TPMS Monitor?

Hi everyone. Looking to purchase a TPMS System for next season. Lots of good info here. Flow thru and cap style sensors seems to be a topic but how about size of monitor? I already have a portable gps hanging off my windshield in a discreet location. I use for my speedo, since my tire size is larger. Had it for awhile. Started using when there was no gps in our vehicles. Didn't want to get rid of when gps became a common thing in vehicles, now I just use the speedo part, anyways, my point is I have lots going on and the last thing I need to worry about is not seeing the TPMS monitor well enough. We all realize the attention we have to pay to the road when driving. Trying to decipher a monitor when towing can be dangerous. I'm hoping to have a reasonable size that is easy to read? All your opinions are appreciated. Let me know of anything I haven't thought of too. Thx again, Jim.
jimmystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My TST monitor is about 1.2" tall and 3" wide, with a triangular profile. It sits on my side console out of the way. I rarely, if ever, just watch it cycle from tire to tire WHILE UNDERWAY, thru all 10 tires. i use it to check tire pressures in the morning, manually cycling thru the tires, but once underway, I basically ignore it. When it wants my attention, it makes a beeping noise, and its message is easy to see. Otherwise, it's pretty obscure and unobtrusive.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #3

RVI command center is a 7” tablet and can monitor up to 12 tires. Also gives status of RVI brake controller.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
My TST monitor is about 1.2" tall and 3" wide, with a triangular profile. It sits on my side console out of the way. I rarely, if ever, just watch it cycle from tire to tire WHILE UNDERWAY, thru all 10 tires. i use it to check tire pressures in the morning, manually cycling thru the tires, but once underway, I basically ignore it. When it wants my attention, it makes a beeping noise, and its message is easy to see. Otherwise, it's pretty obscure and unobtrusive.

^^^^^ This is our feel about it. You don't have to see it all the time.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjohnson913 View Post
RVI command center is a 7” tablet and can monitor up to 12 tires. Also gives status of RVI brake controller.

I own the RVI system and I just pulled this quote from their website,

"Tire Patrol allows you to monitor up to 14 tires on 2 vehicles at a time."

I like it because one unit with a big screen does both the brake and the tire pressure.

I like RVI products better after owning a Blue Ox Patriot 2 with a tiny little LCD number as my screen with the blue ox I would never go back.

Heres the link for the Tire Patrol, TPMS

https://rvibrake.com/collections/sho...ts/tire-patrol
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:54 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I recently upgraded my TST monitor to the color unit. It is larger than the old B&W and it is easier to read. However, I check my pressure before I start a trip and leave the rest of the monitoring up to the TPMS. That's what it's for. If I have an issue with a tire it will notify me and I can take action. I see no reason to have to monitor a monitor.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:12 AM   #7

Good User Interface design for a vehicle, is you only need to see when you need to deal with it.
The TPMS should be self monitoring and advise if there is an issue (high / low pressure, or changing pressure independent of temp, high temp).
Once there has been a change notification, then you only need to see whats at issue (which tire, whats the problem).
Seeing all should be a manual occasional option.

On any modern auto - thousands of parameters are evaluated every second. Only when there is an issue the simple "check engine light" comes on. A scan tool then can tell you specifics. Some vehicles will now tell you what the issue is in cockpit without a scan tool.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:33 PM   #8

I have the smaller TST TPMS monitor. I mount it up high, just to the left of the rear view mirror. That way I can get a clear signal from all the sensors on a 40'TT without needing a repeater, and its small and out of the way. But easy to see if I just glance up.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjohnson913 View Post
That is certainly the largest monitor I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I recently upgraded my TST monitor to the color unit. It is larger than the old B&W and it is easier to read. However, I check my pressure before I start a trip and leave the rest of the monitoring up to the TPMS. That's what it's for. If I have an issue with a tire it will notify me and I can take action. I see no reason to have to monitor a monitor.
Now I'm starting to second guess myself about what I really need. Maybe I don't need to see it that well when travelling, just let it warn me IF the time comes, and in color to boot.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.
jimmystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:15 PM   #10

TST and older b/w monitor. My wife watches it for me, if I want it looked at. But, yes, the idea is to let it do its thing----you REALLY don't want to hear it BEEP, can't be good if it does. Saved me once in middle of nowhere OR--giving me enough time to find a pulloff on a 2-lane road. Will never travel without one.

Don't have an idea who makes the largest monitor, but don't need another big screen sitting somewhere on the dash.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #11

I just bought tst 507 and not installed yet. I plan to have it in one of the pockets by the dash. I will rely on the audible alarm! Hope it is loud enough!!!
19fisherman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #12

The TST alarm should be plenty to get your attention, and when it goes off...probably nothing good happening.
Let us know how the install/programming goes--I have the same system w/10 sensors.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought the TST system w/color display because they are supposed to be developing a module that will interface with our Silverleaf system giving me TPMS info on a 10” display. After using the color monitor for a very short time, I gave up the idea to interface w/Silverleaf—it’s just not necessary.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, tpms