Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2018, 07:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
Go on... I’m trying to research this now...

Speaking of some mountain bike parks and state parks. I was at a mtb Park in Iowa and they had signs up saying no electric mtb. Local state park here in va (which is an IMBA certified trail center) doesn’t allow electric mtb’s.

If just using the bike for cruising roads, campgrounds, etc with the family, electric would be a great choice. I’ve never ridden one before and I honestly don’t see what the big debate on them is all about? Some folks are very much against them....as long as people are out riding and enjoying themselves and nature, I don’t see anything wrong with them.
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 06:48 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Here's a video of a RAD Mini being used in Yellowstone. Some trails do limit electric bikes over 750 watts. The RAD bikes are 750 watts so often are legal. If you take the battery off it is just a bike.

Just thought this video would ease some of your concern about trail riding.

There are some riders who are very serious about bicycle riding that hate the thought of someone riding an electric bike. They don't understand how these bikes work and how they allow people like me to ride. I wouldn't be riding at all without the electric bike. They often pass me on the trail going a lot faster than I am. This seems to be the concern that you can go "really fast"!

If I approach a trail that says no electric bikes I will remove my battery and make it "just a bike" and reinstall it when off the trail or take another route.

People complain about electric cars, using propane grills rather than charcoal, anything that THEY don't see as pure. I think as more electric bikes are used out there people will begin to understand and the ignorance against electric bikes will lessen.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:54 AM   #31

Full size bikes for sure! We carry ours on the back of our CRV with a hitch mounted platform style bike. Keeps them elevated higher off the road and easy to install.

Sent from my SM-G900V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Sd2exploring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have two electric bikes from https://www.electricbikecompany.com. They are beach cruisers but they are great for some of us with limited mobility. You can see a partial review on our blog at RVforTwo.com.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:01 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
You may be referring to Radpower Bikes. We presently had 2 rad minis. Though I previously had a RadRover. If you can store the Rover, go for that. I opted to sell the Rover and go to a (folding) mini simply for storage. I now can store 2 minis assembled in the back of our Chevy Colorado. For a variety of reasons, this will serve us better, but I miss the Rover.
I am 6' 00" and the mini is fine, but the Rover was more comfortable for me.
But we LOVE OUR RADS!
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:04 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
Would you mind posting what brand/model that is? Perhaps I haven’t looked at enough folding bikes yet.
We've used two different kinds of folding bikes on serious mountainbike trails: started with a KHS Westwood and trashed it completely and did a serious upgrade to a Dahon Jetstream, which had to be ordered from Germany.

As I said, riding a folding bike on very serious MTB trails isn't necessarily recommended, but I wanted to counter the statements that they can't go over gravel or anything bigger than a twig. And if you want to mountainbike and don't have room for anything bigger than a folding bike, it can be done.

But if you want to look into it more, you can read all about it on our website:
http://debcar.com/biking.htm

Everything before August 23, 2013, is on a folding bike.
oatmeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:28 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
There are some riders who are very serious about bicycle riding that hate the thought of someone riding an electric bike. They don't understand how these bikes work and how they allow people like me to ride. I wouldn't be riding at all without the electric bike. They often pass me on the trail going a lot faster than I am. This seems to be the concern that you can go "really fast"!
When it comes to mountainbiking, the concern is access to singletrack trails. The BLM and Forest Service have taken a pretty obvious and simple approach: if it has a motor, it's not allowed.

But what if it has just a little motor? Why is that any different from a very fit person who could go just as fast without a motor? Why deny the non-fit person the opportunity to have as much fun as the fit person?

Bit if you allow that, at what point does the motor become too big? Or if you're going to allow e-bikes, why not allow motorcycles as long as they don't go any faster than an e-bike could?

The fear is that the governing body will take the path of least resistance and just bad nikes. That is guaranteed to sit well with the hikers.

There are lots of places where bicycles are already banned, sometimes because of the behavior of a few bad apples. The fear is that e-bikes will enable more bad behavior--more people and more speed leads to more trail conflicts, and bikes always lose when regulations are enacted because of trail conflicts.
oatmeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #36

Thank you all for your feedback, comments, and advice! Keep it comin!
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #37

We are not "serious" bikers, nor mountain bikers at all. In fact, I really don't find bike riding that enjoyable; growing up in a small town my bike was my primary transportation from 7-16 years old, including riding to school almost every day and morning paper routes (remember those?) so it's not like something that seems "recreational" to me.

However, my wife wanted us to get bikes for camping (can I say we've also given away a pair of bikes we never used..... ) so, we got bikes to take along on our RVing adventures.

We hauled 2 bikes around on a Thule rack that we put in the Jeep receiver for the first 2 1/2 years of our travels. Rack on the toad makes it easy to take bikes to where you want to ride, but......

Bikes get trashed, really trashed

Bikes and / or rack block the license plate and also may cause problems with plate based toll collection; the bikes also block the rear tail lights to some degree (all of which could a "reason" to to get pulled over.......).

Bikes are always in the way when you are driving around in the toad, and (on the Jeep at least) blocked rear vision significantly. I usually took them off the Jeep if we were staying someplace for more than a day or two, because they were such a pita to have on the Jeep otherwise. I probably spent more time taking the bikes on / off the rack than we did riding them. But even just the bike rack blocked rear vision some, and it sticking out was just another hassle when parking a lot of times.

Did I mention, the bikes get trashed?

I also became concerned about just how robust bike racks really are. It's a lot different if you use a rack to take your bikes here and there on occasion, vs. driving around with them loaded on the rack for thousands of miles a year. I took the front tires off to reduce weight and make the tail lights and license plate more visible. I did a lot of bunge cords to secure the bikes to the rack, as well as to provide some support to the vertical tube to keep it from bouncing as much, and again to try to take some stress off it as well as, maybe, keep it from coming completely off if it failed.

We decided to splurge on some very nice Dahon Mariner folding bikes. They normally just "live" a basement bay (I was very cognizant of my bay dimensions, which limited our choices) or fit nicely in the back of the Jeep if we need to take them anywhere. If we don't plan to ride them at a campground, never have to deal with them at all, just leave them in the bay, kept clean, safe, secure and out of the weather, which is a huge benefit. We've done rides as long as 13 miles and have really enjoyed them.

There are some other very nice folding bikes on the market, some with more traditional frame styles (wouldn't fit in our bays). After doing some research on line, I found NYCE bikes in NY City, who specialize in folding bikes. We happened to be in NY City in the fall and stopped in to look at them and learn more, then ordered them once we got home. They we're very helpful when we visited them, and provided great service when we ordered.

And, as we've been RVing throughout this summer, the bikes have only come out of the bay once (at the Grand Canyon) as there really have been no other places we found that were really very suitable for safe, leisurely riding..... So happy not to have to deal with them otherwise!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	213463  
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Thanks for this solid bit of insight It's very clear you have zero idea what you are talking about, might be a good time to step away from the keyboard for a bit.

Did I hit a nerve? A little defensive and not to mention rude. You have no idea what I may know or don't know.

Quote:
I get 2x maybe even 3x exercise on an ebike vs a conventional/regular bike, even funnier there are studies that support this as well.
those studies point to that some or any at all exercise is better than none. No surprise there. Sounds like you benefit from e-bike to "get you moving" and will not ride a conventional bike. kudos to you for finding a motivation and getting you moving. But you are either kidding yourself or trying to rationalize the cost of an E-bike(looks like both) if you think putting less effort in the same amount of time is "more exercise". To put it another way, effort in = benefits out. If your total effort in using an e-bike is greater due to the fact that your effort would be zero(or very little) otherwise, then great, use the e-bike.

Quote:
Outside of the hardcore enthusiast, most people don't like to bike because of all the hills/mountains that suck the life out you.
Most people don't like exercise at all. See Americas obesity stats for proof and your aforementioned studies. It has nothing to do with Hills and mountain. There are plenty of people not riding bikes in flat areas of this country. I'm not a hardcore enthusiast by any means. And yes, hills do suck. I just get off and walk up them if I can't make it. When I was riding more seriously, the next time I hit that hill, I would try to make it up just a little more. Rinse and repeat until I could reach the summit.

Quote:
Using an ebike turns everything into flat terrain, so people bike a lot further and more often as they are not dreading all the hills/grades that suck the life out of you. On a regular bike 4-6 miles round trip in my area was my max, on an ebike I usually go 15-20 miles round trip and can maintain a constant workout the whole time.
Well there are plenty of studies that will show "Steady state" cardio works out aren't as beneficial as variable intensity. That being said, there isn't anything wrong with steady state cardio workouts. See moving is better than not moving above. I enjoy the variable intensity more and don't rate the enjoyment based on distance travel but rather effort put in. All that being said, it boils down to personal preference.

Quote:
Ever go for a bike ride with kids, after about 2 miles they are done, sure older kids can go farther than younger, but same problem. With the ebike, kids have no problems going for long bike rides as the bike automatically adjusts to their level of input. We as a family do 10-12 mile bike rides all the time on our ebikes, we tried doing a combo of ebikes & regular bikes and it was a pia.

Yes, I go on bike rides with my kids all the time. at 5 my son was going 5+ mile bike rides. today 20+ miles isn't out of the norm.

And no, it was never a PIA spending time with my children riding a bike. When they could only go 1 mile I planned trips of 1 mile in length. They built up to longer distances as they got stronger. I never felt the need to make them go further than they could. I picked a spot where they would want to go to (ice cream is always good). After a while, I picked a further spot. Sure there were trips were they complained they were tired. When they did, we stopped and rested. I gave them encouragement and I told them how proud I was that they were going on a FIVE mile ride! And I remember a time when I biked ahead, leaving wife with kids to get the truck to pick everyone up. It happens. We always got home, one way or another.

Look, we seem to have very different attitudes. I have no problems with E-bikes. For some they are absolutely needed one like that poster with physical problems.

Lastly, I would never recommend an e-bike for kids(the OP has 3) for a belief that its just not necessary and due to the fear they will always depend on the assistance of a motor. And lastly and most likely the most important reason, the cost. My son has gone through at least 4 bikes a piece since his first one and my daughter 3. No way could I have afforded multiple e-bikes for them.
ohiost90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost90 View Post
Did I hit a nerve? A little defensive and not to mention rude. You have no idea what I may know or don't know.

those studies point to that some or any at all exercise is better than none. No surprise there. Sounds like you benefit from e-bike to "get you moving" and will not ride a conventional bike. kudos to you for finding a motivation and getting you moving. But you are either kidding yourself or trying to rationalize the cost of an E-bike(looks like both) if you think putting less effort in the same amount of time is "more exercise". To put it another way, effort in = benefits out. If your total effort in using an e-bike is greater due to the fact that your effort would be zero(or very little) otherwise, then great, use the e-bike.

Most people don't like exercise at all. See Americas obesity stats for proof and your aforementioned studies. It has nothing to do with Hills and mountain. There are plenty of people not riding bikes in flat areas of this country. I'm not a hardcore enthusiast by any means. And yes, hills do suck. I just get off and walk up them if I can't make it. When I was riding more seriously, the next time I hit that hill, I would try to make it up just a little more. Rinse and repeat until I could reach the summit.

Well there are plenty of studies that will show "Steady state" cardio works out aren't as beneficial as variable intensity. That being said, there isn't anything wrong with steady state cardio workouts. See moving is better than not moving above. I enjoy the variable intensity more and don't rate the enjoyment based on distance travel but rather effort put in. All that being said, it boils down to personal preference.

Yes, I go on bike rides with my kids all the time. at 5 my son was going 5+ mile bike rides. today 20+ miles isn't out of the norm.

And no, it was never a PIA spending time with my children riding a bike. When they could only go 1 mile I planned trips of 1 mile in length. They built up to longer distances as they got stronger. I never felt the need to make them go further than they could. I picked a spot where they would want to go to (ice cream is always good). After a while, I picked a further spot. Sure there were trips were they complained they were tired. When they did, we stopped and rested. I gave them encouragement and I told them how proud I was that they were going on a FIVE mile ride! And I remember a time when I biked ahead, leaving wife with kids to get the truck to pick everyone up. It happens. We always got home, one way or another.

Look, we seem to have very different attitudes. I have no problems with E-bikes. For some they are absolutely needed one like that poster with physical problems.

Lastly, I would never recommend an e-bike for kids(the OP has 3) for a belief that its just not necessary and due to the fear they will always depend on the assistance of a motor. And lastly and most likely the most important reason, the cost. My son has gone through at least 4 bikes a piece since his first one and my daughter 3. No way could I have afforded multiple e-bikes for them.

This thread certainly has become electric! Aggressive confrontation is always the enemy of constructive discussion. While I appreciate why and how they bike, I hope to get this thread back on the bike trail!

I think it’s safe to assume most everyone knows biking is a physical activity, at the very lease invokes and requires some level of movement of our bodies.

Further, spending time with our children, is a crucial element of their development and us being good and effective parents, the regardless of the activity that brings us together or whether they go 5meters or 5miles on a scooter, rv, bike or donkey.

If buying an ebike allows me more time w my kids, I need help in understanding how it will help me accomplish that goal.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:54 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Kpecks not sure if you are near any larger cities. If so you might check into a rental place for ebikes. Doing some actual riding may help your decision.
I had someone offer for me to do a test drive with their folding ebikes. After that stopped in a Pedego store and test drove one of theirs. After that I knew this was going to work well for us.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #41

Bike advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Kpecks not sure if you are near any larger cities. If so you might check into a rental place for ebikes. Doing some actual riding may help your decision.
I had someone offer for me to do a test drive with their folding ebikes. After that stopped in a Pedego store and test drove one of theirs. After that I knew this was going to work well for us.

Good advice! I have limited experience on an ebike. The one I rode for sure wasn’t what I was looking for. Going and testing them is good advice. There are quite a few shops in the Tampa area. Thx
Old 08-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #42

Well I tried to buy a couple of radmini bikes but they sold out in a matter of minutes.... :( not due in again till late aug...

Tags
advice