Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2018, 07:36 PM   #1

Bike advice needed

Been searching and researching solutions for traveling with bikes. Here’s the scenario:

My wife and I are traveling for the next year and with three kids ages 11, 7, and 3. I’m pretty adventurous and can handle serious mountain biking. My wife and kids, not so much. 90% riding will be done w the family but we’ll be in some amazing places w extraordinary bike trails.

I initially thought buying 3 folding bikes would be great to have on board. Smaller Kids bikes can go in the toad or underneath.

I then came across folding electric bikes! What could be better, except for the fact that they aren’t really made for anything but rolling over twigs and gravel. At least, that’s what I’ve come to understand. I’ve recently come across some really fascinating full size mountain bikes that are electric that look pretty interesting.

So here is my dilemma; do I buy all folding bikes and lose the bike rack on the back of the RV and/or toad, or do I get better full size bikes that are susceptible to the elements and theft, but would perform better in trails??

Any and all input is greatly appreciated and accepted!
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #2

I vote for the full size bikes that would be an investment still useful for years to come. You could get bike covers that strap on tight even while traveling down the road and for theft concerns, just use good quality bike cables/locks. In 6 years of full timing, both of our Schwinn mountain bikes still look good and have provided us lots of recreation.
I would imagine riding a fold up bike would be frustrating if you are used to riding a good quality bike on skill required trails. The fold up bike is designed for packing convenience, not serious riding.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:06 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Check out endlesssphere dot com and electricbikes dot com. Lots of great information. I was checking out the Nova folding bike for a manual 20” wheel. They seem to be well made but there are a lot of folding bikes out there and they do more than roll over twigs and gravel.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I vote for the full size bikes that would be an investment still useful for years to come. You could get bike covers that strap on tight even while traveling down the road and for theft concerns, just use good quality bike cables/locks.
I agree. We started with folding bikes and they are only safe to use when in paved or ideal conditions. A little loose gravel and they will go right out from under you. One bad wreck and you will be getting rid of them, as we did. In fact, my wife will never ride a bike again.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:07 AM   #5

Riding a folding bike is like trying to balance on the head of a pin. Tossed mine in favor of a couple of Walmart cheapies after a short time.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
Check out endlesssphere dot com and electricbikes dot com. Lots of great information. I was checking out the Nova folding bike for a manual 20” wheel. They seem to be well made but there are a lot of folding bikes out there and they do more than roll over twigs and gravel.

Endless-sphere.com has tons of info. Lots of ebike geeks building their own batteries and such! Thx for the links.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:44 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
So here is my dilemma; do I buy all folding bikes and lose the bike rack on the back of the RV and/or toad, or do I get better full size bikes that are susceptible to the elements and theft, but would perform better in trails??
The art of compromise!

There is nothing like a "good", carbon, full-suspension, 29'er, MTB. If that's what you need to enjoy the trails, then that's what you need. I'm that way and lucky to be solo so both my MTB and carbon road bike get premium spots INSIDE the coach and/or toad (most certainly NOT out in the elements!!).

Given your situation, it seems you need to come to some compromise that allows you to get all the equipment on-board as well as provides sufficient "usability" for everyone. That's probably not easy. I seriously doubt I would by happy on real trails with anything but a "real" MTB - but that's just me. I have a few "occasional cyclist" friends that have folding electric Montague Paratroopers. They seem to like them but they weigh a bunch (like 60 lbs or something).
Old 07-31-2018, 08:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
I agree. We started with folding bikes and they are only safe to use when in paved or ideal conditions. A little loose gravel and they will go right out from under you.
It depends on the rider, and on the bike.

I don't know your wife, but I assume the OP is young if he has a three year old kid and is already a cyclist, so I don't think he'd have any problem with a folding bike's smaller wheels.

And not all folding bikes are alike. Here's a folding bike in the mountains of Colorado:

And in Moab:

And here it is in action:

I wouldn't claim that this is the intended purpose of folding bikes--even this one--but it does show the possibilities, which are more than smooth flat surfaces.

One thing about having 20" wheels is that it makes for a nimble bike, and can make easier trails more fun, which might be a good thing if you're riding with less accomplished riders.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #9

Bike advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
It depends on the rider, and on the bike.

I don't know your wife, but I assume the OP is young if he has a three year old kid and is already a cyclist, so I don't think he'd have any problem with a folding bike's smaller wheels.

And not all folding bikes are alike. Here's a folding bike in the mountains of Colorado:

And in Moab:

And here it is in action:

I wouldn't claim that this is the intended purpose of folding bikes--even this one--but it does show the possibilities, which are more than smooth flat surfaces.

One thing about having 20" wheels is that it makes for a nimble bike, and can make easier trails more fun, which might be a good thing if you're riding with less accomplished riders.

This is what I was looking for! Great pics. And you are right - I am still pretty young at 36.

Would you mind posting what brand/model that is? Perhaps I haven’t looked at enough folding bikes yet. Or maybe my ideal bike is actually 2 bikes or a bike that doesn’t exist lol. A folding ebike and a 27.5+ wheel mountain bike might be the way to go.

I do like to explore. Having kids makes that a bit difficult at times but I think having an e-bike will get me further and exploring more places faster. I like to go check things out before I bring the fam out with me. I hope that makes sense.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:38 AM   #10

check out Zizzo folding bikes. They have very well built folding bikes and even a full size folding mountain bike. We bought 2 urbano but upgraded the seats to something more suited to aged posteriors.
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
I then came across folding electric bikes! What could be better, except for the fact that they aren’t really made for anything but rolling over twigs and gravel. At least, that’s what I’ve come to understand. I’ve recently come across some really fascinating full size mountain bikes that are electric that look pretty interesting.
Any and all input is greatly appreciated and accepted!
Sure you want all input? Ok.....lose the electric idea. biking is suppose to be, at least somewhat, about exercise, not zipping around on an electric moped. Understand if there are physical limitations with one or more of the parties...but I didn't see any your post.
ohiost90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ebikes are the only way to go, they make riding bikes fun again for all ages. We use the heck out of ours, and I can promise you will be more apt to use and Ebike over a regular bike, especially your kids. We went for the full tilt fat tire mt bike, and they are a blast. As others have mentioned https://electricbikereview.com is the place to check things out, if you head over to the forums, tons of good info., here is a pic of ours
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:04 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost90 View Post
Ok.....lose the electric idea. biking is suppose to be, at least somewhat, about exercise, not zipping around on an electric moped.
Thanks for this solid bit of insight It's very clear you have zero idea what you are talking about, might be a good time to step away from the keyboard for a bit.

I get 2x maybe even 3x exercise on an ebike vs a conventional/regular bike, even funnier there are studies that support this as well. Outside of the hardcore enthusiast, most people don't like to bike because of all the hills/mountains that suck the life out you. Using an ebike turns everything into flat terrain, so people bike a lot further and more often as they are not dreading all the hills/grades that suck the life out of you. On a regular bike 4-6 miles round trip in my area was my max, on an ebike I usually go 15-20 miles round trip and can maintain a constant workout the whole time.

Ever go for a bike ride with kids, after about 2 miles they are done, sure older kids can go farther than younger, but same problem. With the ebike, kids have no problems going for long bike rides as the bike automatically adjusts to their level of input. We as a family do 10-12 mile bike rides all the time on our ebikes, we tried doing a combo of ebikes & regular bikes and it was a pia.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Ever go for a bike ride with kids, after about 2 miles they are done, sure older kids can go farther than younger, but same problem. With the ebike, kids have no problems going for long bike rides as the bike automatically adjusts to their level of input. We as a family do 10-12 mile bike rides all the time on our ebikes, we tried doing a combo of ebikes & regular bikes and it was a pia.

Great points about the kids getting tired so fast. Your experience is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I am trying to avoid the PIA part of biking w the fam, especially traveling all over the country. We will be using our bikes quite a bit so the less PIA the better! One of the bikes, probably mine, will be getting a kid seat on the back for our 3yr old.

What kind of bikes are you riding?

Tags
advice