Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
Bike Carriers

Just bought a new 5er and it has a square bumper on the back. Seems I've read the mfg will void the frame warranty if you put a hitch on it as the frame is not designed for towing.

Factory is closed for the day.. but..

I'm interested in finding a decent hitch that will mount to the square bumper. I've seen attachments that will allow you to bolt/sandwich the rear square bumper between two plates and has a square 2" receiver on it that will allow for a variety of bike carriers. I've also seen carriers that mount to the bumper with two large U bolts.

Guess part of my question is.. is that type bumper strong enough to carry bikes with all the bouncing/kinetic energy built up in the bouncing to safely hold the bikes and rack.

What say you ???

OBTW, I dont care for the ladder type carriers.. I THINK the type I'll need is a "tray" type where you drop the wheels into an ob-round circle.. and are each adjustable to wheel base. We'll be carrying either two folders or one folder and one recumbent which has a long wheel base

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #2

I personally myself would have a Fab Shop weld you a Receiver that bolts/welds to the frame and use a Receiver type bike rack. #1 its stronger and worry free . #2 there are way more styles/kind of racks to choose from. Your not adding anymore significant weight back there over bolting to the square bumper, and your not putting tongue weight on it either.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #3

Mount anything to the sewer hose carrier and guarantee it will disappear sooner or later. They simply are not designed to support anything other than their own weight
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #4

Hmm, just a thought. Years ago when I was on iRV2, I seem to remember someone mounting a Honda 3KW generator on the 5er pin box. I think he had a 2" receiver cut to the right angle, welded to the pin box and mounted the genny to that. Access to the bikes would be a bit more difficult.. but do able from the back of the p/u.

Easily removable and only "ugly" when traveling.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #5

I'm looking for a swing away bike rack for my toad, a Honda Element and I saw a video showing a bike rack that had TWO rods that inserted into the rear of a car thru the bumper (After pulling out plugs in the bumper material). they showed how stable it was. Continuing on that theme if you having something fabricated, you could mount a cargo basket on two bars coming out of the two receiver hitches a few feet apart and buy the hardware to mount bikes to a cargo basket (you said you wanted drop in bike holder, not a hang and bang type)..then you'd have a cargo basket to carry other big things if you didnt have the bikes...maybe overkill but just an idea for brainstorming. Of course you could have one (centered) 2" receiver hitch installed and use a cargo basket and use a hitch tightener (wobble preventer) too like this: New De-Rattler cures noisy trailer hitch receivers
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
I personally myself would have a Fab Shop weld you a Receiver that bolts/welds to the frame and use a Receiver type bike rack. #1 its stronger and worry free . #2 there are way more styles/kind of racks to choose from. Your not adding anymore significant weight back there over bolting to the square bumper, and your not putting tongue weight on it either.

That's what I did!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #7

Interesting.. I've seen a few threads elsewhere that said to not mount anything to the sewer hose bumper. However, I've seen spare tires from the factory mounted to them..

Not sure I understand the differences... The metal seems heavy enough...
Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many years ago we had a Shasta fifth wheel with the hose-carrier bumper. Shasta thought it would be a good idea to mount a spare tire carrier to that bumper. After about 3 years of use the bumper was tearing away from the frame ends - it wasn't the welds breaking loose but the metal of the bumper itself was tearing. I removed the spare tire carrier and put the spare tire in the front storage area.

The only way I'd carry ANY weight on the bavk of an RV would be with a solidly mounted hitch receiver.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Go to this site and look at pix #5 it will show the bike rack up. Then look at pix #46 and it will show the rack down. The rack has a rating of 450lb.

http:// http://www.midwayrv.com/rv/p...Columbus_320RS

My Columbus 320rs is in route now off the line last Wednesday.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Link doesn't work. I am also thinking of mounting a bike rack to the rear bumper. Steel looks mighty strong enough to hold two adult and four little girls bikes...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
I've seen bike racks on square bumpers that scared me! Follow one down the road and the rack swings back and forth to the point it about tears off. The bumper may look strong enough, but it not built for the back and forth leverage of a bike rack or tire. It either needs to be fastened to the frame or perhaps an anchor point on the back wall of the RV, but I don't know what structure behind the skin could support it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The beefed up hitch will not solve the problem. The weak link is the 5th wheel's frame, not the hitch.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
I believe a 5th wheel frame could handle a Class I receiver, which would be strong enough for a couple of bikes, not pulling a boat or a golf cart.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
A buddy just got a NICE Winnebago 5er that had the spare tire mounted there from the factory and second trip out running on I-55 north thru Mississippi I called him to tell him his spare tire was about to hit the ground....

we stopped - took the spare off - tied up everything we could with straps and continued on....

when we got back his dealer said it wasn't the first to do that and he know just how to fix it... he boxed it in and welded some triangular plates there...

good luck - I'm looking into a front lite duty receiver for my truck where I can easily mount the bikes... AND push my utility trailers around if need be...