Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Bike rack?

We have a class C motorhome with a hitch in the back - we are planning on getting a bike carrier to fit the hitch and take our 2 or 3 bikes with us. Does anyone know a good brand to purchase. Also is there any problem with the bikes being outside hanging on the bike rack going 60 mph (obviously they would be tied down and locked). I don't want my bikes to get destroyed. Thanks in advance for your help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You can get the kind that fit in the receiver or around the tow bar. I have a tow car, so I got the latter. Bing them, there are many brands.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Thule 957 Parkway. Folds out of the way when you're not using it. Also can fold down if you use it on an SUV so you can access the rear.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #4

I like my Swagman.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:58 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
We've used a Yakama for years--SUV, MH. Heavy but works great and has built in lock.
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
We had the rack on the rear of the coach but moved it to the toad much easier to handle, its a Swagman 3 bike rack CW was running a sale a few yrs ago but if we get another it would be one that cradles the tires and swings away, a bit more pricey but ease of operation is paramount. WE tried the rack that mounts on the ladder several yrs ago but when you hang the bikes on it there is too much bounce causing stress on the rear of the coach plus lifting the bikes high was a pain.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:31 AM   #7

Swagman XC-2. Positive lock down, no movement of bikes or rack while traveling.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #8

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Mine is a Thule that folds down...only mistake I made was I bought a two bike rack, should have gotten a four bike model as there is not enough space for two mt bikes without touching.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought one on eBay, not a brand name, and I love it. It's a 4 bike carrier that fits the hitch mount. If I'm pulling the Toad I have one for the ladder (only holds two) and another on for the back of the toad, it's a Thule and it holds 3 bikes. The only issue with the hitch mount is steep driveways and make sure you attach the bracket to take the wobble out of the slide, otherwise it will bounce all over the place.

I never leave home without at least one bike. I'm an avid road bike rider and a mountain biker when we are places that have nice trails.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:42 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all your input. We bought a Yakama Double Down bike rack which holds 4 bikes, even though we will probably take 2 or 3 most of the time. We got this off of Craigs List - it is in good condition, so we are ready to roll. When you lock your bikes - do you go through the front and back tires and then tie to the bumper or lock just the front tires? My husband is afraid someone will steal the tires if they are not locked. Also, do you put a cover on your bikes while traveling to keep the dirt down? As you can tell, we are new to this!!
Old 06-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
When I lock I usually go with the front tire and run it through the frame as well. As for a cover, never, not worth the hassle.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I use a 6' cable lock. I run the cable around the rack then threw the rear wheel & frame, then back threw the front wheel on both bikes, I carry 2 bikes. I stack the bikes facing opposite directions so they don't touch each other. I sometimes also put a U shaped lock around a front tire of one bike & the rear of the other. I use a locked pin in the hitch mounted rack to secure the rack to the vehicle. My Thule rack fits tight & doesn't wobble in the receiver so I don't tie it in any other manner. I also do not tie the bikes with any other bungees or ropes than were supplied with the rack. My rack has 3 points where rubber straps secure the frame to the rack. I carry a couple of high end road bikes & have never had a problem in 20 years.
I do not cover my bikes while I am transporting them. I just clean them when I get to my destination. Don't forget the chain lube, road grime can cause gear & chain wear much quicker than keeping them clean. It also helps with smoother shifting. I do keep them on the rack when we get to a campground & I cover them with a tarp & bungees. I also have a freestanding bike rack that I sometimes use to keep them under the slideout & covered. Both ways work well for me.