Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #1

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Bike Rack Broke..BIKES GONE

Had the bike rack mounted on rear of Jeep in hitch receiver. Bike stinger inserted with a lock to hold it in place. After a night at an RV park drove aqbout 100 miles stopped to go to the head and did my walk around...got to the back of the Jeep and saw part of the stinger..took about 10 seconds to realize the bikes were GONE. A fellow pulled in behind me and I asked him if he happened to see my bikes and he said they were about 80 miles back and not worth going back to get. The welds on the rack broke allowing the rack and bikes to fall.
Now for some did you know: I have Progressive insurance with a $2000.00 personal property loss provision with a $100.00 deductible, but in the write up for this section it specifies that if the loss is an attachment they will reimburse only 25% of the replacement cost and your declining deductible starts over again.
My homeowners would pay after thye $1000.00 deductible and I would loose my 15% no claim reduction for 5 years.
My Jeep insurance would pay $200.00 after the $500.00 deductible.
SO I'm eating the total cost of $1730.00 for new bike rack, 2 bikesw and all the attachments that were on the old bikes.
Check your bike racks and insurance for the same or possible similar losses of attached hardware.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
How about the manufacturer of the rack? Have you contacted them?
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

The part that's left has no mfg info on it and I don't remember the brand. When I get home possibly I'll have some info. The rack was several years old, but the new Thule has a lifetime warranty...probably7 will last longer than me!
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I had a 4-bike Thule rack break on me in Kentucky a few years ago. Was going through some construction and hit a big bump and both arms that hold the bikes cracked. I had a strap around the bikes and the main vertical arm of the rack so I only had the rim of one bike bend. I was on a town road at the time so it was easy to pull over once the whole tribe behind me started yelling about a dragging sound.

The only problem was where do you put 4 bikes in a motorhome when you don't have a bike rack! They ended up on the bed in the back.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #5

That's a bummer. Insurance companies-humph_ what's the alternative though?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:10 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Less expensive bikes and a custom built bike rack. I had mine welded up out of 2x2 1/8" wall tube and then reinforced the weld areas with overlapping plate steel. Bikes aren't going anywhere.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:30 AM   #7
paz

Ronnie, sorry for the loss of your bikes.

Since you have to replace the bikes anyway, have you considered Dahon folding bikes? These can be stored inside a vehicle, or even in a storage bay of your RV if you have the space. Most of the folding bikes I see are the ones with the small wheels. These fold to a smaller size, but Dahon also has numerous models with full-sized 26" wheels from cruisers to road bikes to mountain bikes. We have a pair of bikes called the Espresso that we transport in the back of our Saturn Vue.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:12 AM   #8

The bouncing of my bike rack makes me nervous so I run a ratchet strap from my luggage rack to the bikes.I snug it up to take the bounce out.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote