Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the input everyone.
That helped a lot!
I was concerned that the ones I was thinking about might be less than what I needed but your experiences gave me enough insight to pick one.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #16

I use the Swagman rack for four and a ball mount dual receiver. Had to also purchase the alternate frame adapter but they all work really well together with a tow dolly. Did have to cut a couple of inches off of the swagman and re-drill a hole for the pin or else it would hit the car on the dolly.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #17

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa peter View Post
What about covers for the bikes to protect them from rain, road grime, etc.?
I've been shopping for bike covers the past few days. Best options seem to be the 'Swagman hitch-mounted Bike Carrier Cover' and one of two made by Adco, part numbers 6500 and 6502. The Swagman and the Adco 6502 are best suited for the single-arm style bike racks. The Adco 6500 is more universally adaptable to platform, straight rack and center/offset post.

Best price on the Swagman right now is at Overstock at $54. The Adco covers are available at several places on-line. The 6500 lists at $137 but can be found for less.

As an alternative to specifically designed bike covers, some folks use large grill covers successfully.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:53 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't do what I did the first time I used a new bike rack see below, oops, drug them for a while when we had the travel trailer, just happen to see the tire out of the side view mirror. Live and learn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2918917458.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	19434
Old 03-30-2012, 04:49 AM   #19

After alot of looking and studying different rack designs I went with the Yakima Stick Up. We used it on the bus hitch (no toad) and on the toad. It works great.

Yakima Racks & Carriers Shop Bike Hitch StickUp
Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamFun View Post
I use the Swagman rack for four and a ball mount dual receiver. Had to also purchase the alternate frame adapter but they all work really well together with a tow dolly. Did have to cut a couple of inches off of the swagman and re-drill a hole for the pin or else it would hit the car on the dolly.
Hopefully with working pictures now.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #21

Ladies and Gents,
We've had numerous bike racks over the years and, have taken bikes on my camping trips. After analyzing many, and using many, we purchased one almost exactly like the one in post #15. It's not a "Yakima", it's cheaper brand but looks identical. The ease at which the bikes are installed, locked down and are ready to travel, is incredible. And, it's just as fast and easy to unload them and you're riding off into never-never land. As you can see in the pic(s), we simply load them on the toad, (Jeep then, now a new Honda CRV).
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #22

and the name of this bike rack is
Old 04-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #23

1stCougar,
So sorry for the late reply. The bike rack we use is called:

XPORT Flatbed 2-Bike Hitch Rack - Get There and Back___

I'd have shortened the name and put a "Clicky" but, this crazy a$$ computer of mine does what wants and I have no control over it every now and then. Anyway, that's the one. While not the most sturdy of all the racks in the same category we looked at, it has certainly passed any test we can give it. It's made it for 7000 miles and three different trips around the western U.S.

I think at the time, about a year or two ago, we paid around $99.00 for it. But, that was on some sort of super sale at a local bike shop. My only issue with it is, the fact that when the bikes are on the rack, you cannot tilt the rack to the down position to gain entrance to the rear of your hatch on your toad. Some of the other, more expensive ones you can. I think Yakima or Thule you can.

Ours does tilt down for access but, only when the bikes are off loaded first. And, in all reality, that takes me about 30 seconds. So, it's really no big deal.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #24

I used to have a Swagman, hated it! They should call it SWAYman because the bikes are swaying or rocking back and forth when hung by the cross bars. Scratches up the bikes too and you have to place the bikes just right or the pedals handlebars etc interfere with each other.

I bought a Thule T2 bike rack where it supports the bike by the wheels sitting in pockets and a bar coming down to hold the bike in place. I can load or unload the bikes in seconds. It also folds up when not in use. I have it attached to ny GMC Envoy.

Love it.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #25

I too have the Thule T2. More expensive than others, but worth it.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

We've had really good luck with our Blue Ox rack. Talk about sturdy!

I documented the rack and cover in this thread
Blue Ox Bike Rack

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
I have a three wheeled recumbent bike to which I attach my dog and away we go! She loves it and needs the exercise when we are travelling. I went online and couldn't find any cart dimensions that would work, so I went to a fabrication shop and they built one. One side has a ramp so that I can easily roll the bike up and down, into and out of it. If I had a toad I would probably need a receiver up front, and I don't know how that would work.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #28

Thanks FIRE UP I have the slide out bike rack on my Cougar
they don't really have a way to tie the bikes to the slide out rack
thinking of bolting that rack on to the slide out rack.