Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #1

Bike racks

We'd like to carry our two, non folding, mountain bikes with us. Don't have a toad yet so we'll start with bikes. What do you folks use?
Geezer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We have a Swagman that fits over the tow bar for the tow car. That way we can carry the bikes on the back and pull a toad.

Swagmanbikeracks.com
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We really like our http://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/blue-...ack-62125.html

Their stuff really is built like an ox.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #4

I love my Reese 4 bike rack...it's made of 2" square tubing the whole way...I could ride on it and would feel safe...weighs about 40 lbs!
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I found that the new racks were quite expensive for what they are, so I started looking for a used rack. I picked up a double bike rack made by Bell at a pawn shop for a very low price, but after the first use realized the hold downs were dry rotted from the weather, after an extensive web search, found a 1-800 number to bell and they sent me new hold downs for free (free shipping too). I've posted that number in another thread here. Hope this helps.
Brian
Jambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a stack reciever hitch. It goes in the hitch on the MH and the toad hitch goes in the bottom and it has a tube on top that the bike rack slides into. Both tubes are the same as your reciever and it works great, when you don't carry the bikes you take it off and just use your hitch for the toad. I hope you can figure out what I'm trying to say. I live in Wisconsin and bought it at a store called Fleet Farm.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
X2 on the Swagman XC 2.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Wife and I just purchased bikes for putting on the back of the motor home, untill we get a trailer to pull the Harley. We picked up the bell 2 bike rack from Walmart for about $90, along with 2 schwin hybrid bikes. Quick parking lot assembly, slung the bikes up on the rack using only the included velcro fasteners and drove 15 miles home. No problems whatsoever. Diameter of square that fit in the receiver of hitch on our Lexus RX was a tad bit smaller so it wobbled a little during turns, but transported fine without any additional straps or bungee cords. I'll bungee it on future trips just to keep it from wobbling and probably put an extra tie down strap on it on the back of the motor home to avoid anything catastrophic while going down the road. Catastrophic being, it falls off and ends up causing an accident for someone else. I think there are some models by Thule and other companies that cost more and are better quality, but this one does the trick and seems durable enough for our needs.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought a sportwing two bike rack made by highland at Sam's Club about a year ago for $40. Its hitch mounted and you hang the bikes from the tires. it works great and is easy to use.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
we are looking for a 4 bike rack - we cannot use the current one we have, the beach cruisers are too big and cannot fit all 4 on it. we have something similar to this:

http://www.bikerackshops.com/vehicle...s/access_dura/

anyone have a suggestion for a rack that will hold 4 cruisers?

thanks,
chris
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
My friend and I both have the Swagman XC2 Swagmanbikeracks.com :: Hitch Mount :: 2 Bike Racks-Hitch Mounted :: Swagman XC 2 Bike Rack 64650 **150.00**, it's a nice rack and can be found online for about $125 or so. The good thing is that you can use it on either the MH or your toad.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
We'd like to carry our two, non folding, mountain bikes with us. Don't have a toad yet so we'll start with bikes. What do you folks use?
I bought a 2 bike system at REI. Fits into the 2" receiver on back of toad. Bolts into receiver or you can get a lock. Works great.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo
We have a Yakima hitch receiver bike rack. We can either put it on the back of the toad or on the RV when not bringing the toad.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Walmart sells a "Bell" bike rack there is very inexpensive and works well. We use it on the rear of our DP and carry two full size mountain bikes.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote