Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2005, 03:34 AM   #43

These updates were copied from the August 05 "Family Motor Coaching" magazine.

"RV Friendly" signs are being posted on existing roadside logo signs in Oregon and Louisiana. The signs " bright yellow circles with crescent smiles under the letters "RV" " help RV travelers to locate tourist stops, restaurants, gas stations and other businesses that cater to their unique needs. The markers indicate that maneuverability will not be a concern at those businesses.

State Rep. Jason Mumpower introduced a bill that would direct the Tennessee Department of Transportation to establish RV Friendly signs along state roadsides. In May the Tennessee General Assembly approved the measure.

In June 2004, Louisiana became the first state to pass legislation authorizing RV Friendly icons on state highway signs. The markers were expected to appear on Louisiana highways by the end of this year.

In Oregon, an expanded trial of an RV Friendly program is underway through 2006. If testing is successful, the Oregon Travel Council will request permanent status.

Bob Sammons
97 Monaco Dynasty
03 Yukon XL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2005, 05:30 AM   #44

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Sammons:
Great discussion and very good points by all but I agree with George.
Thanks Bob
Quote:
This is a perceived problem by the pinhead leaders of these groups and not a real threat to the campgrounds that provide good service at a reasonable price.
Right on!
Quote:
The "Camp on the Heart" RV park in Dickinson, SD, responded to the opening of a WalMart in their town by offering free dry camping. They hope to earn a little revenue from dry campers at their restaurant and gift shop.
Beth, the owner of the "Camp on the Heart" RV park in Dikinson, ND and the OWNER COMFIRMED that YES RV's may dry camp FREE on her property, she has 30 acres in the grass with a river view available.(about 120 SW of Minot and 100 W of Bismarck)

She feels that why not attract potential customer with a comp, naturally those RV'ers should patronize her store and other facilities and, there will be a charge for using the dump station and other services. Perhaps if you wish to stay longer and pay for full hookups she probably can accomodate you.

Thanks for your time,
Bob Sammons
Beth is a testimony to the Free Enterprise system. Here is one campground owner that is adjusting to competition, not just complaining to law makers.

George

George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally posted by Renegades:
Mjstef, what's going to happen when the new super wal-mart opens down the road from you? Last time through I figured about 6 months. I do agree with you as far as stopping at 4pm and not leaving till 9am the next day and then complaining about a dumping fee. I would of charged them 20 dollars, but if someone is going to build a new campground, they should plan to put in a boondock area.

Jim

Jim,

Were not there anymore. I hated the heat and the wife was sick with allergies all the time. We are in Montana now. Don't know how the WM will affect things. There has been a snowbird waiting list for years so it should not be much of an issue..........

Got rid of my junk 03 6.0 diesel!!!!!!
mjstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 07:28 AM   #46

There is a discussion on escapees (that most of you probably have already read). ARVC of activily encouraging their member campgounds to stop the overnight parking (they have a How-To package). I think we all need to contact ARVC and let them know how we feel. Just boycotting the cities one at a time isn't going to stop it. We need to aim higher up and we also need to boycott the members of this organization. I may be a bit paranoid but I think they are just doing this as a grassroots effort because they think it will be more unobtrusive (look at the Nova Scotia mess, one province was successful so another one is trying the same thing). If allowed to get away with it, they will evenually prevent camping (boondocking) on all Public lands (unless run by a member concessionaire I'll bet).
Old 08-13-2005, 09:04 AM   #47

Early on in this thread a couple people posted how they vacationed in their RV, and more or less didn't bite off more than they could chew with their daily travel plans. I am of this persuation also...to be honest I have never seen or heard of any of this big parking ban or restriction problem that's being discussed. I bet my wife would never even let us park at a WM or Rest Area as her logic is simply we bought this camper to go camping..by a lake or in a grove of trees perhaps, but not at WM for God sakes. My travel days ends at 3PM or so and we look for a CG listing in our guidebook..always find one too..always! I drive to it and setup my camp and meet people and have a nice peaceful evening. That's what our RV is for. So maybe were small timers that don't dash across country in a big rig...but our vacations/outings are quite relaxing and enjoyable. People from other countries in many cases view Americans as always having bigger and better. We foster this perception with 3000 mile one week RV driving vacations requiring mini sleep overs at WM and then racing another 700 miles the next days to who knows where. If you are you part of this madness, then all this parking ban talk will probably have more meaning to you. Actually the more WM campers there are, the more legitimate campsites I have to chose from at days end. Now...I think I'll go fishing.

BigBob....
Old 08-13-2005, 03:14 PM   #48

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
BigBob
unfortunately for me, my mom taught all us kids to always look at both sides of everything thats tossed in our direction, ...
but for the life of me you nailed that one directly on the ol' nailhead, far as I see it

i'm even going to sign off the same way you did,

FatDog....
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 03:38 PM   #49

FatDog,
Thanks for your vote of agreement with my RVing philosophy. Sometimes the "less is more" principal can be hard to sell to people.

BigBob...
Old 08-15-2005, 09:50 AM   #50

BigBob,
I'm happy for you that you don't have to work. Nor that you use your RV as your "home-away-from-home" when you are working far from you usual home. But we do (as well as many others who live full-time in their RV's) and travel from point A to point B in X amount of hours, usually leaving at the end of the work day and getting in after "quiet time" or having to drive til late, get a few hours sleep and get up before dawn, drive a few more miles and still go to work the next morning. Because we are self-employed and "time is money" (a concept understood by few apparently) sometimes we are placed in that situation. Parking in a parking lot, with the exception of some commercial campgrounds I have seen, is not camping. And not everyone who travels in an RV, whether parttime, fulltime or just occasionally, is retired with a comfy pension and/or automatic deposits from stocks/bonds dividends (please note that I am not referring to anyone in particular just a generalization of a segment of RVers). I simply refuse to pay anywhere from $25 (rate of the graveled, treeless parking lot we saw yesterday in Pigeon Forge) to $75 for 4 hours use of a campsite (for an overnight, we wouldn't hook up to facilities). If I want to dump waste tanks, there are plenty of places that charge $0 to $5 to do that at. If you believe that no one should park overnight in a parking lot or a company such as Wal-Mart or one of the grocery stores, then do you believe that the campgrounds should not be selling food and other supplies to their camping customers? If my parking in a Wal-Mart parking lot deprives the campground owners of income, then wouldn't my buying a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter from a campground store deprive Wal-Mart (or any other grocery store in the area) of their income? I just a little confused about the logic the campground owners are using. And wouldn't using the laundry facilities at the campground deprive the local laundromat of income? I've seen some campgrounds that rent movies.... Isn't that deriving struggling movie rental businesses of their income? Did you know that the Mom & Pop movie rental stores buy their newly released movies at the same price you do?? (We knew some folks who ran their own movie rental business).

Now, I'm not attacking you or "flaming" you. But I would really like to see a response to this. It just seems to me that the campground owners (and others) are looking at the situation somewhat myopically and haven't considered the businesses they may be infringing on because they can't see past their own concerns.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #51

LORNA
YOU SAID IT LIKE IT IS, I'M WITH YOU 100%
AL
Old 08-15-2005, 10:48 AM   #52

TAKE A LOOK AT THIShttp://www.geocities.com/cornwaab/ns_parking_ban.html
Old 08-15-2005, 02:48 PM   #53

Lorna,
I didn't say anywhere in my post that I didn't work for a living...I go to work 5 1/2 day a week, every week except vacation time that is. Plan to for several more years. I don't have a pension of any sort either. I don't live in it except during vacations for a week at a time.
Having made that clarification for your benefit now I will say that nothing in your posting made me feel any different that I did before. Your schedule doesn't mean anything to me at all. How you earn a living is also your own business. If you read carefully what I wrote you should be able to understand we have nothing in common except we both own an RV. I explained in very simple detail what my thoughts on using my RV are, and don't know what else could be said. You park your RV where ever you can at night, but I prefer to go to a regular campground, get a nice campsite and camp in mine which is exactly what I bought it for 16 years ago. Any other use of it for me would defeat the purpose of owning it. I just don't know what other reply to give you. But inspite of our apparent differences I wish you the best in your RV travels.

BigBob....
Old 08-16-2005, 06:39 AM   #54

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Quote:
Originally posted by ACBL:
TAKE A LOOK AT THIShttp://www.geocities.com/cornwaab/ns_parking_ban.html
What I found funny here is, the Goverment exempts themselves from having a liscense, and "Staying overnight in a parking lot is legal in an automobile, truck, or any vehicle not designed "... as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping or travel use ..." . So I can sleep in my truck that the 5th wheel is attached to, just not in the 5th wheel.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:28 AM   #55

RICK A
Thats the way i read it,
BTW after reading this a grop of us(6 MH) in NH-MA cancled our trip to Nove in Sept. staying in US
AL
Old 08-16-2005, 08:03 AM   #56

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Lorna and BigBob,
I have perhaps messed up my priorities in life a bit. I'll have my 50th birthday in a couple months, and it has occurred to me lately that I work 12 hours a day, 5 or 6 days, 51 weeks, year after year after year at my shop, ....
.. that just doesn't seem right to me now all of a sudden. Why did i do that ?

So, when i pull the trailer out, i plan the best time i can. I hit the nicest forest, the hottest sands, the best friends, ... , i could not allow myself to hit a WM. BUT, BUT,... i wonder if Lorna has maybe thought it thru better then me. Maybe if you use your trailer a little more then i have over the years, maybe you have planned out your relaxation time better then me, .... well maybe you just have more places you can go, and .. well you just end up hitting a WM or a parking lot now and then.

Is there more then one side of the coin ?
(was my mom right about looking at both sides, and seeing the good)

and Rick A,
Quote:
What I found funny here is, the Goverment exempts themselves from having a liscense, and "Staying overnight in a parking lot is legal in an automobile, truck, or any vehicle not designed "... as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping or travel use ..." . So I can sleep in my truck that the 5th wheel is attached to, just not in the 5th wheel.
Rick A
that is exactly what hit me when i read that link as well. How blatantly inconsistent. No RV sleeping, but go ahead and have a snooze in your truck if you have to.

Mike

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote