Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #15

Re: Ray's "rant for the day"..ha.. I and many others I suspect, are not arguing the pros and cons of the economic viability of bio fuels..diesel or no. What I am getting ticked off about is the lack of coordination among the vehicle manufacturers, fuel suppliers, gov't heavies, and the environmentalists. Just give us a vehicle that is capable of running the fuel available....or an additive that precludes the potential for damage to our vehicles. I'll have to admit, my expectation of coordination among the groups I noted above is a "pipe dream". They are incapable of doing so. In the meantime, the regular guy gets stuck with their aftermath...I'll stop now before I get on a rant....

Fool

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #16

+1000

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #17

I've ran B10/20 in my 02 Duramax as well with no problems. Unfortunately, since our PCS to Florida, I'm not driving the truck very much(also sold the trailer and bought MH). With 105k on the odo, she's just broke in.
Haven't seen any bio here or in Gasince coming South.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #18

I'm guessing this thread is about issues out of our control.
Unless somebody has a solution....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
When the gov't took lead out of gasoline, it was just as well coordinated. Many engines needed new hardened valves and valve seats and had a serious loss in power due retarded timing.
Also, when Freon R-12 was taken off the market, the panel stated it could not determine it actually affected the ozone but it was removed "just in case" it did.
Ultra Low sulfur diesel dissolves gaskets and seals while making a miniscule change in emissions..

But we survived all of them because of discussions making us aware of the shortcoming of the imposed changes.. The issue may be out of our control but we can always adapt..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #20

As a partsman for a large ag equipment corp I can tell biodiesel was a great thing for business. No one has said any thing about the growth of algea in your tanks and what happens when it goes through the system.There will be none of that junk in my tank!!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #21

We had algae in our tanks long before there was ever biodiesel.
dhfinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Biodiesel is hygroscopic, It acts as an emulsifier allowing water to mix with the biodiesel. There may also be water that is residual in the fuel from processing.
Microbes in water clog filters, can cause the paper-element filters in the system to rot and fail, may cause failure of the fuel pump or injectors due to ingestion of large particles. (Microbes are algae fungus and bacteria)

It is a greater problem with Biodiesel, as is gelling in cold weather.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #23

Biofuels are heavily subsidized by the US taxpayer and farm land that could be growing crops for food is instead used to be burned in cars and trucks. No way that is good for anyone but Archer Daniels Midland and the rest of the gang. 43% of the profits of ADM come from taxpayer subsidized grain.

This is from the GM Duramax owners guide - draw your own conclusions.

Biodiesel fuel quality degrades with time and exposure to high temperature much more quickly than conventional diesel fuel. Biodiesel gels sooner than conventional diesel fuel at cold temperature, and biodiesel fuel requires proper blending for winter time operation. Fuels improperly blended for cold temperature operation may result in restricted fuel filters and degraded vehicle performance.

Your vehicle is equipped with a fuel heating system to provide a level of protection against filter plugging from gelling (waxing)
of conventional diesel fuel and biodiesel blends. However, the system will not prevent all cases of plugged filters if the operating
temperature is far below the temperature at which gelling or waxing of the fuel occurs (cloud point). Use of biodiesel blends greater than B5 (5% blend) should be avoided in cold temperatures.

Vehicles operated for extended periods of time on conventional diesel fuel and then switched to biodiesel blends may experience premature fuel filter clogging and require more frequent fuel filter service.

With long term use of conventional diesel fuel, gum and varnish may be deposited within the tank and fuel system. These deposits, while not problematic with the use of conventional diesel fuel, may become loosened with a sudden switch to biodiesel blends and cause fuel filter plugging.

This vehicle is equipped with a fuel filter restriction monitoring system that will alert you if the fuel filter requires service, but it will not prevent damage caused by poor quality biodiesel.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #24

Biodiesel is soybean oil, for the most part, and is a byproduct of the process of the meal in soybeans used for protein in farm animals diet. It does go into vegetable oils used for cooking, but before the proliferation of biofuels it was sometimes hard to get rid of. As I said earlier I am a grower of soybeans and I live right in the middle of the USA, NOT the Middle East. I will agree that biofuel has not been without some flaws, but by and large a lot of the problems that have been cited on this this thread have been addressed and can be dealt with . Anyone who says they have never had some of the same problems with regular fossils fuels has probably not had that much experience with them, or is working for big oil. There are also other positives of using biodiesel, such as the increased lubricity. We think that biofuels are an important, homegrown, renewable, component of the US energy supply now and in the future.
Dave
dhfinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #25

I would be happy if stations posted signs telling me what blend, if any, they used. Then I could make an informed decision. As it is I have no idea what I am pumping into my tanks. With oil shale North America is about to become a net exporter of petroleum according to an article in one of the financial papers.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
Lubrication- B2 (2%) biodiesel provides more than adequate lubrication for diesel pumps and systems.

Cummins: Engines prior to 2002 are not compatible with B20. All used engines switching from petrodiesel to B20 will need to replace fuel filters at 1/2 the normal interval. (next 2 filter changes)

Cummims: Biodiesel is less stable, Use biodiesel fuel within six months of its manufacture date. Avoid storing vehicles with biodiesel blends in the fuel system for more than three months.

The Concern is not resistance to biodiesel but mandating blends not recommended by the engine manufacturers. It could put a lot of engines in jeopardy. If it follows usual government practice at some date the acceptable fuels will be eliminated. Problems may be encountered well before that from not knowning what blend fuel is being dispensed..

Commercial trucking would certainly be affected and hopefully they will be able to keep compatible petrodiesel on the market well into the future.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
Ray....would be interested to know if you changed your maintenance intervals, e.g. fuel filter changes since using the higher content?

Fool
No changes at all. GM recommends changing the fuel filter every 10,000 miles or annually, and I do. I did have one plug up once, it was overdue though; I chugged to an off-ramp and changed it (always carry a spare). One thing I have noticed is the motor oil seems closer to the original color at change time. It used to be black black, now you can see the dipstick through the oil at changing time. I did flush the engine once, when the infamous injector issue cost me over $4,600.; and filled the crankcase with diesel fuel.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #28

GM does not recommend changing the fuel filter on a diesel engine every 10,000 miles or annually for post 2011 trucks. GM has a fuel filter life remaining which displays on the truck's DIC. Based on my truck the filter is good for about 50,000 miles.

Where did you get the idea that the fuel filter needs to be changed each year?

The oil and oil filter are supposed to be changed at least once a year but not the fuel filter. Re-read the manuals.