Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Black and Gray Tanks - Open or Closed???

I have always heard that you should keep the black and gray tanks closed and drain them when they are filled. My husband has heard from others that as long as you are connected to sewer and city water, it is ok to keep both the black and gray water tanks open and let everything drain continuously.

Can anyone clarify this for us?
RipRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Never, never, never.... leave the black tank valve open. This results in the liquids running down through the drain hose and leaving the solids behind. Those "solids" form what it called "The Brown Tower of Doom"... which dries and is very difficult to remove.

I will sometimes leave the gray tank valve open for a few days, but not very often since I want a full gray tank to dump after dumping the black tank. This washes out the dump hose of black water.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

Never, never, never.... leave the black tank valve open. This results in the liquids running down through the drain hose and leaving the solids behind. Those "solids" form what it called "The Brown Tower of Doom"... which dries and is very difficult to remove.

I will sometimes leave the gray tank valve open for a few days, but not very often since I want a full gray tank to dump after dumping the black tank. This washes out the dump hose of black water.

Rick

Ditto
geno39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #4

Quote:

Rick
Seek no more advice NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!!!
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #5

Okay . . . Your husband is WRONG!!

Add to that: Brown Towers of Doom, and White Pyramids when you entertain strangers unaware, you will find RVing more fun than you ever envisioned!!
Old 08-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As the others have said - grey may be left open - especially if you have a washer / dryer and a back flush system for the black tank. You can also close it the day before leaving to collect water or just run the sink or shower a bit and watch the gauge.

Concerning leaving the black tank open, in the words of Shelby the Swamp Man. Don't Ever Do It.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno39 View Post
Ditto
Quote:

Rick
Double Ditto!
Old 08-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I was pretty sure it wouldn't take long to get some help settling this "discussion" that we've been having. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. I am glad we will not have to talk about this any more.

Just to be sure, I'm seriously considering making a sign and putting it in the compartment near the black and gray handles. It will simply say . . . NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.

Thanks for the help.

~Sue
Old 08-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree, keep them closed until time to dump. Just one time having to clean out that mountain will convince you of this if we have not already.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My wife and I were discussing something in the car one day and she end (almost ended) by saying, "You're right." I replied, "I know. I'm never wrong."

So convincing your DH of NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, may be a difficult task. I'm sure he is never wrong, like most of us men.

However, with that said, you need to follow him around during "hook-up" and push the black handle back in.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We have both been chuckling most of the afternoon about this - especially the comments about Brown Towers of Doom and White Pyramids. It is wonderful to have a forum like this with so many knowledgable RVers.

On our trip home after buying the RV we did notice the black water tank seemed to fill up rapidly according to the gauge. After dumping the tanks at Camping World, we noticed the gauge was still registering about 1/4 full. Before we left for home, we did put in some enzyme cleaner that we had gotten previously for our toy hauler. I read on another post that Piranha from Super Seal Specialty Co. [MANUFACTURER OF UNSURPASSED BREAKTHROUGH PRODUCTS FOR OUR VALUED CUSTOMERS THROUGHOUT THE UNITED STATES AND THE WORLD!] is a good product to use, so I order some this afternoon.

Our MH is currently at Camping World having some recalls done. When we get it back on Tuesday, we'll put more enzymes in with a bunch of water and see if that changes things. Any other suggestions?

~Sue
Old 08-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I had to do that tower destroy mission once and got good advice from our RV repair place. They told me to put the break up stuff in and get about ten 5 pound back of ice cubes (big black water tank) to dump into the toilet. Then we half filled the black water tank (visually looking from outside with a bright light up to the plastic tank. Then they had us drive around town and over some logging roads for about an hour before going to dump the tanks. For the most part it did work but we still need to get a high pressure spinning what'sit to run into the black tank below the toilet when we are at a sani-dump station in the future.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #13

I will have to take the contrarian view on this subject. I have been living for 16 years in 5th wheel trailers. Current one for 6 years. For the 16 years I have left both black and grey water valves open all the time. These trailers never move, I have a Trek MH that we travel in. When I retired from my real job I worked for 10 years with a mobile RV repairman. During that time we cleaned out many black water tanks that would not drain. Also replaced a few. My boss at that time had over 25 years experience, he is of the opinion that design on the tank, the outlet nozzle, had lots to do with the stoppage problem. The ones with no problem have a drop in the tank with the nozzle off of that. My current 5th wheel is a 40' Travel Supreme. When I put it in place I opened both valves and have never had a problem. Previous 5th wheel was a 40' En Route. Both valves always open. Has worked for me. I do not recommend for any one else, don't know the design of there tanks.
texkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
CD

I have used the Geo Method for over 10 years with good results. No smell, gauges work good and no problems.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray tank, tank