Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Black tank

When looking down the toilet after emptying black tank should you be able to see the bottom of the tank? Right now I see the liquid about 4 inches from the toilet flap?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
KIX

That's not a good sign. On all rigs I'm familiar with it is either a straight shot to tank or perhaps at an angle but should be open to drain bowl contents.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
My buddy has a 2001 Alpine and if I remember right, his toilet connection to the tank is not straight down. I think it may have a turn in the 3 inch piping just below the toilet before it drops down to the tank.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
BeniciaTom,

Take a wood stick and with the toilet flap open, poke down in the toilet to what you think is the liquid. If you hit bottom or something solid like plastic pipe, its probably the 3 inch piping making a turn before it drops into the tank.

Sammie
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #5

Even if the toilet plumbing does make a 45* bend just below the toilet you should NOT see liquid if the tank is truly empty. Were this mine, I would add a bottle of Roebic K40 septic tank and lateral line cleaner, then completely fill the black tank with water; assuming you are in a warm climate of course. Allow it to "brew" for at least week or as long as possible. Then quickly pull the drain valve open and allow the tank to empty.
If you still see liquid below the toilet, repeat as many times as it takes to loosen the pile of tissue and crap. If your RV has a black tank flushing attachment, use it after emptying the tank. In the future don't empty the black tank until it is at least 2/3 full, and when flushing use plenty of water. After emptying my black tank I always add 5 G of water to make sure I don't wind up with the solidified pile of doom (crap&tissue)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Even if the toilet plumbing does make a 45* bend just below the toilet you should NOT see liquid if the tank is truly empty. Were this mine, I would add a bottle of Roebic K40 septic tank and lateral line cleaner, then completely fill the black tank with water; assuming you are in a warm climate of course. Allow it to "brew" for at least week or as long as possible. Then quickly pull the drain valve open and allow the tank to empty.
If you still see liquid below the toilet, repeat as many times as it takes to loosen the pile of tissue and crap. If your RV has a black tank flushing attachment, use it after emptying the tank. In the future don't empty the black tank until it is at least 2/3 full, and when flushing use plenty of water. After emptying my black tank I always add 5 G of water to make sure I don't wind up with the solidified pile of doom (crap&tissue)
I like the way you put it in a laymans language Ray.

As I remember in my buddy"s Alpine Coach, the plumbing turn just below the toilet would plug up very easy with ( crap & tissue ) if he didn't flush with a lot of water. Quite often he would have to run a garden hose down the toilet to free up the crap. If this is the OP's problem, then it is very likely that he can see liquid down in the toilet even though the tank is showing empty.

Sammie
Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I can't be sure of this - but a sludgecrapball sounds like a smelly mess. The OP didn't mention a hellaciius odor - just sees water. Only the nose knows for sure. But I think it might have occured to them to mention the stenchin. Lol.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Tank shows 2/3 full, I did use the tank flushing attachment and it seems that all the water that went in came out, so I am assuming that the toilet is clogged. I do use bio-pak tablets every time I empty the tank. When this is fixed I will use more water when flushing.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
No odor, thank goodness.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicia Tom View Post
No odor, thank goodness.
Does the toilet flush OK?

Sammie
Old 03-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Does the toilet flush OK?

Sammie
Yes it does.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Yes it does.
Let me back track, when I flush I can still se liquid and when I dropped my bio-pak packet it just set on top of the liquid and toilet paper.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #13

About once a month just before traveling and with an empty (5 gallons in it) black tank, I flush 1 cup of laundry detergent and one cup of water softner like Calgon or equal. My tank is always easy to flush and flushes clean quickly. After 6 years of full timing I have had no black tank problems.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Let me back track, when I flush I can still se liquid and when I dropped my bio-pak packet it just set on top of the liquid and toilet paper.
Then it sounds to me like you have an 90 degree ell or a 45 degree bend in the pipe connecting the toilet to the tank. Not necessarly a bad thing. Just use plenty of water when you flush to prevent any clogs.

Sammie

Tags
tank