Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #1

Talking Black tank adventures

On leaving Oldtown, WA a few weeks ago, as I was emptying our black water tank, a cap at the end of the hose fell off. Obviously it had worked itself lose in transit! So instead of going down into the campground septic system, the black water started to gush out of the hose. I didn't even think. I stuck my thumb in the hose's hole to stop it gushing. I felt EVERY. Little. Lump coming through the pipe. All 60 gallons worth

Being a bit discombulated after that event, it turns out I FORGOT TO CLOSE THE VALVE to the black tank. I did put the cap on the sewer drain though.

I discovered I'd forgotten to close the valve when we got to our next stop where we were connected to sewer. When I saw that the sewer drain pipe showed it was FULL of dark brown, malevolent looking slushy water!

I needed something to drain the pipe in. Did not own a bucket. I made my way on foot to a feed store about a mile down the road (we were in a rural area with lots of farms around). I asked the guy if they had buckets. They did. He asked what size. I said I'm not sure, show me what you have. He asked why. I told him this story. He laughed. I thought he was going to pass out he was laughing so hard. Gasping between breaths he said "Robin Williams. RV"... Then burst out laughing again.

So I get a bucket. Go to pay for it. He said "nope, the bucket's on us, thanks for the laugh and good luck"...

Sooo, I have a free bucket, and a LOT more experience I ain't making those mistakes again. I hope
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:16 AM   #3

A Forest Gump would say, it happens

Not the end of the word. Wash your hand or throw your shoes into a dumpster, whichever applies and go on about life.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #4

First lesson to learn: ALWAYS wear gloves when dumping!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #5

Thanks for sharing the story, it was good for a laugh, even had to show my wife. At least you got a free bucket.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the visual.......

Next time just close the dump valve, get a gallon zip lock bag, hold it under the sewer cap and crack open the hose connection on sewer cap to slowly drain dump line a little at a time
Don't have a hose connection on sewer cap...buy a cap that does have one

Oh wait.....you now have a bucket...never mind
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
And never say never again. Karma has a way of returning.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
I'm also pretty new to RVing, but one thing a friend with a decade of RV experience told me was to buy a box of rubber gloves and a half-dozen pairs of cheap work gloves the next time that Harbor Freight has them on sale. You an get them prices ranging from 50 cents a pair to a buck a pair. Dollar stores may be an alternate source of both.

Always wear the rubber gloves when dumping waste, and put a set of work gloves over them.
Consider the rubber gloves as one-time use, and the work gloves as use-until-you've-spilled-crap-on-them.

Keep a couple of pairs of work gloves and a bunch of the rubber gloves in the storage compartment nearest to the dump valves. Have the new unused gloves in zip-lock bags, and the current pair of work gloves near the compartment door.

Anyway, that's his advice. Being new to RVs I'm always willing to learn better ways of doing things.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
I'm also pretty new to RVing, but one thing a friend with a decade of RV experience told me was to buy a box of rubber gloves and a half-dozen pairs of cheap work gloves the next time that Harbor Freight has them on sale. You an get them prices ranging from 50 cents a pair to a buck a pair. Dollar stores may be an alternate source of both.

Always wear the rubber gloves when dumping waste, and put a set of work gloves over them.
Consider the rubber gloves as one-time use, and the work gloves as use-until-you've-spilled-crap-on-them.

Keep a couple of pairs of work gloves and a bunch of the rubber gloves in the storage compartment nearest to the dump valves. Have the new unused gloves in zip-lock bags, and the current pair of work gloves near the compartment door.

Anyway, that's his advice. Being new to RVs I'm always willing to learn better ways of doing things.

I never wear gloves.
They interfere and don't give your body a chance to build up your immunities

Besides I can't smoke a cig and eat my sandwich while dumping. Gloves are clumsy
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
Why bother with the plastic gloves if you're putting regular ones over them? You'll be touching the regular ones many times.

Just use the plastic ones for dumping and then toss. . . being sure you take them off correctly so you're not touching the outside.... which will again, defeat the purpose.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:49 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I never wear gloves.

Besides I can't smoke a cig and eat my sandwich while dumping. Gloves are clumsy
Got a good laugh off this one. Reminded me of a guy that used to pump out the Port-a-John on our construction sites.He actually did eat a sandwich while pumping it out.
gvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have an outdoor kitchen with a sink with hot water and soap so no gloves are needed. Comes in very handy.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I never wear gloves.

Well, yeahhh!
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #14

Ya have to love those Robin Williams moments. My only one was 30 plus years into my rv life. Timber ridge trailer, dump valves on cables right by dump lines. Always checked they were closed having heard campfire stories about removing cap with valve opened. Guess I never had to think about the physics before because things had gone to plan. Was standing in bad position and learned a lot of crap can fill the tube between the cap and valve, and it can have more pressure than you would expect.

On the plus side I was wearing rubber gloves so my hands remained clean so I didn’t get the shower valve dirty when I took a shower. Ever since my RVs have always had a second gate valve installed at the outlet.

Tags
black tank, tank, vent