Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2016, 11:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Those who say it is just a holding tank and that stuff is not in there long enough to to see any biological activity are just plain wrong.
It is just a holding tank and our "stuff" is not in our tank long enough.

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Occasionally I will add a small amount of bleach to the grey tank, if I detect it's getting stinky. I have reduced the need for this by wiping off utensils and dinnerware before washing. The less foodstuff in the grey tank the better.
If I am staying in one spot for a while I will add a deodorizer tab to the black tank, but have never really had a problem with bad odors. I ALWAYS flush the tank after dumping.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:02 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman7 View Post
Just wanted to ask a basic question. Is there any difference in the holding tank chemicals offered on the market? Specifically Pure Power Blue and say TST? Both basically read the same, just wanted to know what you guys use and or prefer.

As you can see, everybody's got a different opinion on this! We have used Happy Camper tank treatment for 15 years and couldn't be happier! We never have any odors and it dissolves just about everything! If you buy it direct from Happy Camper and get the 130 oz size, the cost per treatment is only 52 cents! You can get it from Amazon, but MUCH more expensive!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

https://www.5starhappycamper.com/order.html

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:23 PM   #18

Never intended to cause a ruckus on this topic. However, I never knew there were some many schools of thought on this topic. Again, new to RVing and thought holding tank chemicals was just one of those things you had to use etc.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:43 PM   #19

I have been using some 'old school' Pinesol in the black tank. I read somewhere that it would help with gnats and smells. So far, gnat trap worked better for the gnats and never really had a problem with odors anyway, so it seems 'just add water' is probably the best or at least the most common thing to do. And those 'sensors', I don't trust them. Sometimes they seem to work, but after dumping the black tank recently, I checked just for the heck of it, and the lights for empty, half full, and full lite up. I guess quarter full and three quarter full just didn't want to bother!
Old 08-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #20

Black Tank Chemicals

We have virtually never had any black tank odor, but then after dumping and flushing we always put a couple of gallons of water in the black tank and then drop one of the little Porta-Pak packets down the chute, so while traveling the treated water gets sloshed around, cleaning the tank sides and sensors a bit. We also have a clear sewer pipe extension and when dumping I've never noticed any "chunks", just brown liquid coming out, so I assume the solids are being broken down by the treatment additive. We do occasionally, but rarely, get some gray tank odor, so we've started trying some different treatments for that, as well as wiping food particles off utensils, etc., before washing them. We also sometimes add a bit of Calgon to the tanks to help clean them. I'm also going to get the Syphon360 vents to put on to better purge the stinky air out of the tanks. Our 3016 trailer came with the cheapy ones.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Google "geo method"

We've been doing this with no problems for years. We don't use bleach.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
As the majority of replies here stipulate, water is your friend and chemicals (even Happy Camper for 15 years) is just a waste of money. Add water to an empty tank, add more water to the toilet every time you flush, rinse with water when dumping.....

To keep the sensors free from stuff and causing errors, occasionally a dose of laundry soap and a few gallons of water to an empty tank just before you travel, will keep them in working order.

Now boon docking is a whole different matter....one which I never do, so cannot offer any advice for that.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #23

tanktechs.com works very good.
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #24

I guess if this was an informal survey most would agree their stuff doesn't stink. Guess mom was right?
Even with tank deodorizer, any tank I've ever witnessed being drained was less than pleasant, even with a varying degree of nauseating perfume added.
It is a holding tank not a digester.

OP: Many CG will ask patrons to use tank products as a courtesy to other campers in close quarters. These products are mostly about the same, sample the cheapest. You may find one you prefer over others.

Happy motoring.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
I guess if this was an informal survey most would agree their stuff doesn't stink. Guess mom was right?
Even with tank deodorizer, any tank I've ever witnessed being drained was less than pleasant, even with a varying degree of nauseating perfume added.
It is a holding tank not a digester.

OP: Many CG will ask patrons to use tank products as a courtesy to other campers in close quarters. These products are mostly about the same, sample the cheapest. You may find one you prefer over others.

Happy motoring.
If you are experiencing odors, even when draining, you don't have an air tight system. Has nothing to do whether your "stuff" stinks or not. The only time you should have an odor is when you put your "stuff" in the toilet or when you flush your "stuff" and open the toilet to the black tank (especially if you have your overhead fan on sucking air through it). Your drain hose should have gaskets and tight fitting connectors both at the drain point and also at the sewer opening.

Other than the times mentioned above, you should not be experiencing odors.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
If you are experiencing odors, even when draining, you don't have an air tight system. Has nothing to do whether your "stuff" stinks or not. The only time you should have an odor is when you put your "stuff" in the toilet or when you flush your "stuff" and open the toilet to the black tank (especially if you have your overhead fan on sucking air through it). Your drain hose should have gaskets and tight fitting connectors both at the drain point and also at the sewer opening.

Other than the times mentioned above, you should not be experiencing odors.

Ron
Yes, Ron, if there's a smell, then something is wrong with your system.

However, what I and others are saying is that if you're gagging, go with the quick fix first -- nuke your black (and maybe gray) tanks with chemicals. My choice is bleach as it's cheap, fast, and readily available.

After you can breathe again, then take your time hunting down the problem.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:30 PM   #27

What about sewer flies. I put in chemicals but still have them. Any suggestions.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:50 PM   #28

We just use liquid Rid-X in ours, seems to work just fine....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank