Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #1

Black Tank Chemicals

Just wanted to ask a basic question. Is there any difference in the holding tank chemicals offered on the market? Specifically Pure Power Blue and say TST? Both basically read the same, just wanted to know what you guys use and or prefer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 03:14 PM   #2

My first camper was a Class C in 1986, used blue stuff for the first two years. Never used any more ever since. JMHO, buy beer instead!
Old 08-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
IC2

Dump and flush well regularly should be all you need. I do occasionally use whatever was cheapest at Wally World if we don't dump for several days but only as a deodorant as my assessment over several years is that most of it is useless breaking down the solids.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Water is all you need, the more the better.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #5

Interesting... They make it sound like you are going to die and pollute the world if you don't use some sort of chemical.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you can smell it, that is bacteria breaking down the solids. If you can't smell it, that's the deodorizer killing the bacteria. The breakdown occurs naturally in a septic kinda way. Add a ridex chemical and it'll speed up the process and smell up the whole campsite. Not good. Add a deodorizer and no more smell, but no more breakdown. I go for the no more smell. Don't need no stinkin' breakdown.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Other folks will tell you chemicals will pollute the world - and you're going to die no matter what.

I'm in the 'lots of water' group also.
Never really notice any of these things making much of a difference.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman7 View Post
Interesting... They make it sound like you are going to die and pollute the world if you don't use some sort of chemical.
If properly vented, you should get no odor. The stick house toilet does not smell...the RV's toilet should not smell either.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
If properly vented, you should get no odor. The stick house toilet does not smell...the RV's toilet should not smell either.
But if it does smell . . . dump some bleach in for a quick fix.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Exactly.........

Only time I get a whiff is if I flush with exhaust fan going.
Otherwise no odors.

They are holding tanks so I dump when full quick rinse then add a couple gallons back in to keep tank bottom wet

Got odors........
Find source (gasket/seal/AAVs/P traps/blocked vent etc) and fix it

Water is my chemical of choice
All others just make poop smell different
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
If you can smell it, that is bacteria breaking down the solids. If you can't smell it, that's the deodorizer killing the bacteria. The breakdown occurs naturally in a septic kinda way. Add a ridex chemical and it'll speed up the process and smell up the whole campsite. Not good. Add a deodorizer and no more smell, but no more breakdown. I go for the no more smell. Don't need no stinkin' breakdown.
This demonstrates a lack of understanding of bacterial activity. Anaerobic bacteria growth creates objectionable odor while aerobic bacteria growth does not. Hence, products that limit anaerobic activity and promote aerobic activity breakdown waste and eliminate odors. The most effective and cost effective of these products is Happy Camper Holding Tank Treatment.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
But if it does smell . . . dump some bleach in for a quick fix.
Bleach will kill the bacteria in the holding tank, including beneficial aerobic bacteria. A better solution is adding something that deters anaerobic activity and promotes aerobic activity. Those who say it is just a holding tank and that stuff is not in there long enough to to see any biological activity are just plain wrong. As soon as you use it, the bacteria in your gut will get things going.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #13

All we've ever used was plenty of water...no smells and no clogging issues.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #14

With all due respect to others that prefer to use stuff, as far as I am concerned, the bacteria, the odor and the breakdown can all be dealt with after I flush.

In my tank I don't really care if any "further" breakdown occurs.

If everything is working as it should, there should be no smell in the coach, tanks are closed and sealed. If you have a bad smell in coach something needs fixing...

I also don't see much point bleaching or flushing a tank only to smear it again at the next usage. I have never used the tank sensors, don't need to. When gray tank is full, it overflows in shower. When black is full toilet gurgles when flushed.

Tags
black tank, tank